Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
S40 as an all purpose vehicle (Read 240 times)
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: S40 as an all purpose vehicle
Reply #15 - 05/19/16 at 16:39:07

youzguyz, that seat looks like a High Back Rigid Style King/Queen Seat ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 05/19/16 at 20:45:51

Gus wrote on 05/19/16 at 16:07:28:
jcstokes wrote on 05/19/16 at 15:42:21:
If I'm on long hauls, and I don't do that many, I have my Ventura pack over the pillion seat where it acts as a, sort of low quality backrest. I also have the cheap mid sized Airhawk which helps. Gus, you could consider attaching some form of padding to the front of your box, mightn't look pretty but it may form a "sortof" backrest. Gravel/metal riding is like lane splitting. I do it if I have to.

The backrest is already in the works. Gonna try to make it from the material from the pinion cover so it matches the seat.

I purchased an el' cheapo ($45) luggage box for the wife's bike, it can hold 2 helmets and is lockable, all you would have to do is figure how to mount it to your rack.
But you could get something like this on ebay, that already has a pad and also a chrome rack on the lid too
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Trunk-Luggage-Case-Tail-Box-Rack-Backrest-...
Me? I went with my old Harley Davidson Tour Pack... I even put led lights on it... only the brake lights work, I could not figure how to add turn signals without destroying the trunk (I might sell it later).

The wife's

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #17 - 05/19/16 at 20:51:12

Rider,

Who makes the saddle bag supports that are attached to the Silver bike?

Kenny G

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 05/20/16 at 02:32:09

DesertRat wrote on 05/19/16 at 16:39:07:
youzguyz, that seat looks like a High Back Rigid Style King/Queen Seat ...

http://img.jpcycles.com/zoom/504-082_A.jpg

Noooo..  that is an old picture of Thumper from when my daughter use to ride on the back.  Her knees aren't too good, so I jacked up the pillion by putting a 2nd pillion seat on top of the orignal, strapped them together with a belt, and covered the entire mess with a gray sheepskin.
I also built an airhawk into the seat on a spare pan.
Another picture ..

0424011044a.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #19 - 05/20/16 at 04:28:42

Paladin. wrote on 05/19/16 at 06:05:09:
gizzo wrote on 05/18/16 at 02:03:42:
... very little chance I'll be touring long distance on mine. It's just too uncomfortable ....

One thousand smiles...  taken on day number two:
http://www.savageriders.com/paladin/LA-OKC/1000_Smiles.jpg
In my humble opinion, The Savage was just fine on a two week trip.  Seat was not too comfortable, but the pegs bothered my feet -- need to be able to move around, hence I ended up with oak floorboards.

Yep, and I admire you guys and your fortitude who can do those kind of trips on your Savage. I just couldn't do it. I'm much more comfortable in the Cafe Racer crouch for a long day on the bike. Maybe the roads around here are worse, but the jarring striaght up my spine is something I can handle for only so long...
Anyway, you look like the kind of guy who's happy no matter what you're riding!! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/20/16 at 04:35:46

Gizzo:

I agree with you - the Cruiser seating position with your legs out front seems to be a lot more tiring to me than a seated position where your legs are under you.  When I have my legs out front it feels like there is a lot more weight resting on my bum, and my butt and back get tired.

In the next year or two I hope to build a Savage touring bike, with a seating and peg position very similar to a 60's/70's era motorcycle.  It will have bags, and a rack so I can haul gear.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #21 - 05/20/16 at 06:53:03

This is what it looks like mounted. I did it Las night. This box is aluminum and watertight. I think you could throw it off a truck without hurting it. All that is left I'd the painting.

WP_20160519_20_16_05_Pro.jpg

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 05/20/16 at 08:55:54

Kenny G wrote on 05/19/16 at 20:51:12:
Rider,

Who makes the saddle bag supports that are attached to the Silver bike?

Kenny G

Not sure, I believe they are OEM, they came with the bike, mine has the same ones.
I have since removed the ones on the silver bike, I will look for some part numbers on them... if you want, I could ask wife if she would sell them.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:22:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › S40 as an all purpose vehicle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.