Hitch to haul trailer (Read 347 times)
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: Hitch to haul trailer
Reply #15 - 05/26/16 at 07:41:08

You are going to want to be careful with the hitch mounted directly to the swing arm. A big enough pothole or bump in the road will cause you problems. If/when the trailer hits a bump and jumps up, it will pull your back tire up with it.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Isaac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/26/16 at 16:48:48

Thanks for your concern. That's why I made holes on side plates larger than mounting hardwares so hitch has some room to move around a little when it's really forced to. Remember swing arm has all the backloads including rear tires attached.
I have considered many possibilities including your concern. I have seen many other hitches for other motorcycles as well. Those are rather expensive to build, complicated and less practical. Besides, many hitches involve welding which means that it's permanent attachment. I wanted to be able to remove hitch ball easily when it's not used.

IP Logged
Isaac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/26/16 at 18:01:49

Thanks for your encouragement. I welcome constructive criticism but sometimes I see criticism not appear to be constructive.
Every time when you do something new, some people will always oppose no matter what which is unfortunate reality.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #18 - 05/27/16 at 01:32:54

have not found a swing arm mounted hitch on the market
top of the shocks and fender rails
there must be a reason

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 05/27/16 at 02:10:16

Isaac wrote on 05/24/16 at 17:13:52:
Thanks for your opinion. I have considered it when I was doing design layout already. But I have decided not to use that because designing to use top of shock to reduce bouncing itself causes to make hitch too long, and itself causes other problems. Believe me I have explored other ideas including yours. I thought my idea was simple and practical. Remember that everything comes with trade off in designing. If you don't use it off-road, it should be no problem. I welcome you to come up with better design layout if you don't mind.
Besides for swiveling, I have tested mine the other day. My Harbor freight trailer tongue can swivel 30-35degree without receiver ball swiveling at all. Many of you may not even need swiveling ball at all. If you lean deep for high speed cornering more than 30-35 degree, I have prepared modification, and I have uploaded it for all of you. So you don't have to buy those expensive swiveling hitch or Freedom Pivot ball.

visualize boomerang shaped steel plates
top of shock, fender rail, down to the u bar
no welding required

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #20 - 05/27/16 at 11:01:53

Isaac wrote on 05/26/16 at 16:48:48:
Thanks for your concern. That's why I made holes on side plates larger than mounting hardwares so hitch has some room to move around a little when it's really forced to. Remember swing arm has all the backloads including rear tires attached.
I have considered many possibilities including your concern. I have seen many other hitches for other motorcycles as well. Those are rather expensive to build, complicated and less practical. Besides, many hitches involve welding which means that it's permanent attachment. I wanted to be able to remove hitch ball easily when it's not used.

Hopefully your setup has enough movement to stop any serious wheel hop. I have seen people with trailers overloaded and/or shocks set too stiff have problems with wheel hop even with the hitch mounted to the fender/frame. Your hitch looks good and I hope it works out well for you.

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #21 - 05/27/16 at 11:14:28

Ok I want one.....

Isaac are you making them? can you make one to sell? price??

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Isaac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/28/16 at 15:17:13

Hi, I made detail dwg file for everyone so everyone cam make it easily.
If you really want me to make one for you, I could do it for you too as well. Parts needed for it is about $60 which includes steel bars and stuff on Parts List. My labor for fabrication and painting $120, shipping about $20. I may need to charge $200 for making one for you. You may want to supply your own ball which is too heavy for shipping. It's just my rough idea. I recommend people make his own not only to save money but also build metal fab experience for your future metal works as well. But if you really like me to do it, I can do it for you as well.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #23 - 07/22/16 at 00:48:46

haven't heard from you in a couple of months
how is it working for you?

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #24 - 07/22/16 at 04:35:18

Yeah Isaac, inquiring minds want to know...
is the hitch working as well as you'd hoped it would??

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #25 - 07/29/16 at 13:42:53

Isaac wrote on 07/28/16 at 18:34:27:
Hi, Thanks for your supports.
My angry comment was for thumperclone. Bravo 12 did same trick to me, too.  I don't have any negative feeling for any others.
I hope you could have productive use for it, and improve it if you can. There's always room for improvement since it's difficult to be perfect.
Thanks.

Easy Isaac, I wasn't trying to put you down or be critical of your hitch. I was only pointing out possible safety issues. And if you reread my post, I did say that your hitch looked good and that I hope it works for you.

"Isaac wrote on 05/26/16 at 18:48:48:

Hopefully your setup has enough movement to stop any serious wheel hop. I have seen people with trailers overloaded and/or shocks set too stiff have problems with wheel hop even with the hitch mounted to the fender/frame. Your hitch looks good and I hope it works out well for you."

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/30/16 at 09:02:04

I have moved this out of the Technical Section, as it has not yet been proven to be a good/workable design.  Until is gets some testing and a considerable amount of mileage on it......it is not proven.  As others have stated, mounting to a swingarm does increase the unsprung weight on the bike, and the tailer ball will move up/down constantly as the rear tire comes in contact with the irregularities in the pavement....at this point nobody knows is this will result in handling problems, stress cracks in the hitch or swingarm hardware, etc.  Trailer hitches need to be extremely durable - as the folks that need them are most likely going to be traveling a long way from home.

Isaac.....go put some miles on your hitch, and keep us updated on the project.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Isaac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/31/16 at 16:11:46

Well, as I said I have used the hitch to haul my Harborfreight trailer which is loaded with 5 ft long 2x4, 4x4, and other materials from Home Depot, and it worked fine. Dave I don't need your or anyone's approval for my design. You can remove or put it in any place you want. I didn't do this for anyone's approval. I did this because I was looking for hitch from this web site and didn't find any. Nobody did anything for hitch to my dismay. So I thought I should do it myself. If someone had done anything for hitch, I would have appreciated it. Since nobody did, I did. But you seem to be rather beaurocratic looking for approval from other passive sideliners. You don't really support doers who actually tried to do something. It's unfortunate. I've seen those before.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #28 - 07/31/16 at 16:25:15

I appreciate your design efforts. Good to see someone thinking.

However, I too respect the moderator`s position. Unless a modification is proven and deemed safe, they do have some level or responsibility to keep the less technical or otherwise unknowing forum members from taking on a potentially unsafe modification. In my opinion, that is what makes this a great forum. We welcome invention and ideas, but do it while also protecting one another from both trivial and potentially harmful modifications. Our moderators are very seasoned and smart people like yourself.

Isaac, please stay involved and offer an update as time permits.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #29 - 07/31/16 at 17:40:04

Isaac,

I suspect the above post was your departing speech.

I hate to see a guy with a good imagination get stifled, you will not be the first good guy to leave here. It will be our loss.

I am going to PM you with my email address, and I hope you will keep me apprised of your progress with the hitch and any other good ideas that you come up with.

Good Luck!

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:55:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hitch to haul trailer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.