YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Hitch to haul trailer
Reply #30 - 08/01/16 at 03:58:15

Isaac wrote on 07/31/16 at 16:11:46:
Well, as I said I have used the hitch to haul my Harborfreight trailer which is loaded with 5 ft long 2x4, 4x4, and other materials from Home Depot, and it worked fine.

You have used it how many times?  How many miles on it?

Some folks don't just go to the Local Home Depot with their hitch and trailer.....they may be leaving home and going on a long trip, and be gone for days/weeks/months, and not all the roads may be smooth.

Before anyone copies your design and heads out on a long trip, it would be nice to know that it will hold up and not leave them stranded a thousand miles from home.  There is little doubt that this hitch will bounce up/down as the rear tire reacts to the bumps on the highway.....and the hitch will move twice as far as the rear wheel (as it appears to be about double the length of the swingarm).  It is not yet proven that this design will be durable.

« Last Edit: 08/01/16 at 05:36:35 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RaleighGuy

It's as easy as

Raleigh, NC
Reply #31 - 08/01/16 at 06:10:51

stewmills wrote on 07/31/16 at 16:25:15:
I appreciate your design efforts. Good to see someone thinking.

However, I too respect the moderator`s position. Unless a modification is proven and deemed safe, they do have some level or responsibility to keep the less technical or otherwise unknowing forum members from taking on a potentially unsafe modification. In my opinion, that is what makes this a great forum. We welcome invention and ideas, but do it while also protecting one another from both trivial and potentially harmful modifications. Our moderators are very seasoned and smart people like yourself.

Isaac, please stay involved and offer an update as time permits.

-------------------------------------

Isaac, I would strongly agree with KennyG and stewmills. It's great to see smart people coming up with ideas. Necessity is the mother of invention, right? I really don't think anybody has tried to insult you or your hitch idea. On the other hand (as stewmills pointed out yesterday), your mod might be attempted by someone who is much less technical or mechanically inclined than yourself and therefore... it COULD be assembled and used in an unsafe manner by them.

I've been thinking of all types of modifications such as trailer hitches, sidecars, etc since I first bought my cabbage and your design seemed pretty ingenious.

Sidenote:  I just visited Kill Devil Hills here in my terrific state of NC this past weekend. Therefore, I'd like to remind you that even the Wright Bros didn't get their flyer design perfect the first few times they tried it.  Don't be insulted or hurt if people question your design, test it, test it and test it some more. If need be, tweak the design a little bit. Then test it, test it, and test it for many miles. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then you have the right kind of imagination to change it.   Cool

2012 S40 Boulevard (White and Silver) - small changes so far like windshield, sissy bar, saddlebags... but mostly stock.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #32 - 08/01/16 at 15:38:37

Isaac wrote on 05/26/16 at 18:01:49:
Thanks for your encouragement. I welcome constructive criticism but sometimes I see criticism not appear to be constructive.
Every time when you do something new, some people will always oppose no matter what which is unfortunate reality.

Isaac,It is in fact a fortunate reality that people voice their opinions on this site,some times we only look at new things from are own field of view,I think that it's good that your hitch is simple and no welding is involved ,it shows me that you think outside the box !which is to be admired!Can your design be altered/ improved ? It may be even by you with the ideas offered by others ,the best part of being on this site is to bring forth new Ideas ,to teach and to learn!welcome ! stay aboard, I believe you'll be a valued member!!!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:10:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hitch to haul trailer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.