Send Topic Print
Let there be light (Read 117 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Let there be light
05/17/16 at 07:59:50

My lack of computer knowledge again showed itself. A short time ago after I typed in my Username and tabbed the cursor over to the "password" slot - it displayed a black key(with a dropdown). I thought that maybe the site(or someone of a control level on our site) was giving me a message(or warning) to change my password? I dinked around for a few minutes before leaving SuzukiSavage.com  I went to my Email account to find the same thing. I then went to a couple of other sites which require a password and found the same. Can any of you shed some light on this issue for me?      Huh Huh

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Let there be light
Reply #1 - 05/17/16 at 08:22:33

Sounds to me like a virus trying to get you to "change your password" and when you do, you aren't really changing it on the real website rather giving it to the crooks that want you to give it away.  Basically these viruses change nothing, but when you key in your username and "current" password all you are doing is giving it to them.

NOW, it may not be a virus, but wait a bit and let the other smart computer folks chime in, but in the meantime BE CAREFUL!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/17/16 at 08:54:56

I agree with stew.
I can't tell if it was a virus/torjan/keylogger, but...
I hope you didn't put in any passwords.
If you did, and they were important, then I'd change the passwords on a different computer.

never click on a link from an unknown source.
I've even verified links from friends.
all important websites are gone to with a bookmark or typed in addy.

WWW   IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #3 - 05/17/16 at 09:41:18

stew/verslagen1 - thanks for the info  by logging on this and the other sites and putting in my passwords - could that have given them my passwords, or did I have to change my passwords?  I did not change any, but did key them in.   After reading your replies I found the Privacy and Security settings and found the Firewall was off(as my computer guy set it up when I changed to a Mac). It is now on.  The dropdown had two options : Suggest New Password...  and Other Password...    :'( :'( :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/17/16 at 10:09:03

I don't know mac, maybe changing to a new computer is the issue.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 05/17/16 at 11:54:05

Not sure on a Mac either.   But, what happens is they get you when you elect to "change" your password and in some obscure pop-up or box you reenter your username, your current password, and then a new password.  Basically that process is a farce and it's the crooks forcing that pop-up or extra text boxes on you so you will enter your data into THEIR window that feeds data back to them.

If you didn't change any passwords and only entered the information into the actual login boxes on this page just like you always do then you are probably safe.  However, I would run a scan or whatever you do on a MAC and see if it locates any malware.  

If it does it again or if you can recreate the pop-up, capture a screen shot and post it here.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #6 - 05/17/16 at 11:55:23

verslagen1 - I changed to a Mac a couple of years ago, and this is(hopefully was) the first problem of any kind. Also, thank you for the idea of changing passwords on a different computer. I just got back from doing so(on the four sites) at the library.     Embarrassed

much appreciated,

Doug

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/17/16 at 12:06:28

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #8 - 05/17/16 at 12:27:54

Serowbot - that is it   and I did an update this morning(Safari)  just as the one who asked the question did in your post       :'(

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/17/16 at 13:46:39

Pretty sure it's a feature of your browser...
Are you using Safari?...

The key symbol is offering the option of remembering your password for the site...

I don't think it's anything nefarious...

http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/safari/how-to-make-safari-remember-pa...

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #10 - 05/17/16 at 15:54:59

Serowbot - I am using Safari     and thank you for some good news    I needed it - I've had kind of a sick feeling in my gut over this     However, thanks again stew and verslagen1    you've made me think about how careless I've been(at times) visiting sites        Smiley

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 05/17/16 at 20:40:01

Use a word processor program and put the names of all your internet sign in sites and information pertaining to that site on that page, or pages.

I did mine like this (example, not the real thing)
turtle.txt

My site passwords

google.com
login as: jeff.rock@gmail.com
Psswrd: mybigtoe
hints: favorite color: grape

I then save the file and added sites as I log onto new ones.
When ever I log online, I simply open up "turtle.txt" and highlight and copy the password and paste it on the site i'm logging onto. This saves me from using the keys, so a keyclick script won't work.
I have a thumb drive I update 2 times a month that I keep in a safe at the house with personal files on it.
I not only helps me keep stuff safe, it is my new brain... and if something should happen, my wife or son knows where it is and can find all the information they need.
I am thinking about putting one in a safety deposit box, with important documents and bringing it home once a month to update it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #12 - 05/17/16 at 22:02:36

Its Greek to me - at least some of it      old_rider :  I do appreciate your time and efforts, but for now I'll stand pat     Maybe I'm the one who needs to put in some effort(gaining more knowledge with computers)     Compared to almost(probably all) everyone using this forum - I don't know diddly squat      example :  There have been times when I'd have posted a picture, but don't know how - yes I'm aware verslagen1 has a tutorial on it     hell I don't even own a camera        Maybe I belong out in the woods - isolationism?    Trump likes the general idea

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 05/17/16 at 22:31:43

You are relatively safe, allowing Safari to remember and automatically log-in for you...
(there is risk with anything,... but some malware can watch keystrokes, and an auto log-in would actually be safer in that case)...

I use it with Firefox...  saves a lot of remembering and typing...

Peace,...
Serow

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #14 - 05/18/16 at 06:20:53

Serowbot - more thanks     I don't mind the continual extra typing/remembering(getting out the password list)        However,  I had never heard of the watching keystrokes thing      I may have to adjust my thinking(yet again)        I'm just happy there are people on this forum willing to help me out with ideas/solutions related to things other than our choice of bikes      

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:17:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Let there be light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.