Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing my drive belt. (Read 104 times)
billybabar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Removing my drive belt.
05/15/16 at 11:57:00

Hey I hope this isn't too dumb of a question but I've looked around and can't seem to find an answer. So I have 2003 Savage that dropped a bolt from under the rear fender into by drive belt. I found a new one for cheap ish and I'm now trying to replace it. I've removed the rear tire, gaurds, etc but now I'm wondering If I really have to remove that big nut on the pulley just to get the belt off. I know it seems obvious and perhaps I'm being lazy but I dont have that size socket, torque wrench, or impact wrench. Anyways just trying to save some time and money by seeing if there's something I'm missing.
Thanks!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Removing my drive belt.
Reply #1 - 05/15/16 at 12:15:12

Yes, the enlightened around here remove the pulley......
HOWEVER, I tried, and tried, and TRIED their socket jam trick, and could not get my pulley nut to turn.
I gently bent the pulley lip, where the belt slips in between and seats....
the outer one toward me just enough to be able to squeeze in a new belt. Then I bent it back into place and finished the install.
This was almost a year ago and prolly around 8 thousand miles.
I have had no problem with the new belt Dave saved my butt with  Grin

Try it, you will see how easily it bends, just go slow and only enough to push in the new belt.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Removing my drive belt.
Reply #2 - 05/15/16 at 17:19:13

billy I've removed my belt many times ,if you remove your left side shock (the other will support the swingarm) you can move the belt forward and there should be room to simply slide it of the front pulley. I wouldn't bend and maybe break the pulley, if you do remove pulley it does need to be retorqued to about 100ft/lbs or the teeth on the pulley and shaft will get eaten alive (big bucks and a nightmare)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 10:41:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing my drive belt.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.