Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear shock stiffness setting & performance (Read 52 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Rear shock stiffness setting & performance
05/11/16 at 08:17:14

For our bikes (mine is a 2008) with stock shocks, what is the best setting for optimum handling and performance on mountain roads? One would think that a lighter setting (more bounce) is better because it allows the bike to respond better and absorb bumps, but on the other hand I consider that the more it is allowed to bounce the more it can bounce back and bump you up a little too high hence less traction on the road.

I'm about 160lbs if that makes a difference.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rear shock stiffness setting & performance
Reply #1 - 05/11/16 at 08:53:55

There is almost no travel (1.5") on the stock shocks, and it is very easy to bottom the shocks on a pothole.

I tie a small piece of yarn on the shiny shaft of the shock, push it all the way to the bottom near the shock housing, then go for a ride.  The yarn gets pushed up to the highest level of the shock travel.  I want the shock to move nearly all of the available travel during a normal ride (no significant pothole impact).

If you are using a lot of the travel when you sit on the bike and put your weight on the seat/pegs (sag) - then there is very little travel left for the bumps.  If you have the springs set too stiff - then you won't get the use of the travel during normal rides.  Adjust the spring setting as needed so you get the most benefit from the travel.

(You can also use a nylon zip tie - but the yarn is much easier to get off when you are done, and it won't damage the seals).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 05/11/16 at 09:31:14

Thanks, Dave.  I'll try that trick.  Just based on "feel" I think I may be at a sweet spot where I currently am in the middle. I don't think I ever "feel" what I think is the bike bottoming out on normal bumps here and there but at the same time I don't feel like I am riding a hard tail with no suspension.  Based on the current "bounce" when I do hit a bump, I definitely don't think I want to loosen things and make it any softer.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/11/16 at 18:12:07

Stew,

I usually weigh in at about 170 pounds and I find I am more comfortable on Texas's rough rural roads with the shocks set on the softest setting.

My shocks have about 5600 miles on them.

I would love to have shocks with more travel, but I don't want to have to fool around with kick stand modifications and problems with the belt adjustment.

I am going to try Dave's yarn test on the next ride.

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 05/11/16 at 23:08:15 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/11/16 at 21:22:26

Dave wrote on 05/11/16 at 08:53:55:
There is almost no travel (1.5") on the stock shocks, and it is very easy to bottom the shocks on a pothole.

I tie a small piece of yarn on the shiny shaft of the shock, push it all the way to the bottom near the shock housing, then go for a ride.  The yarn gets pushed up to the highest level of the shock travel.  I want the shock to move nearly all of the available travel during a normal ride (no significant pothole impact).

If you are using a lot of the travel when you sit on the bike and put your weight on the seat/pegs (sag) - then there is very little travel left for the bumps.  If you have the springs set too stiff - then you won't get the use of the travel during normal rides.  Adjust the spring setting as needed so you get the most benefit from the travel.

(You can also use a nylon zip tie - but the yarn is much easier to get off when you are done, and it won't damage the seals).

Where were you when I was still riding?
I'm Debating on whether or not you get a star here.
It's a REALLY good post, but, Dangitt, late for me..

Awww,, it's not about me, so,  you get a red star.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 05/12/16 at 03:24:58

Progressive recommends with the full weight of the riders & luggage that 1/3 of the travel is used.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:37:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rear shock stiffness setting & performance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.