Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
June exploration of Franklin NC Area (Read 708 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: June exploration of Franklin NC Area
Reply #60 - 06/15/16 at 04:21:59

Don't fergit to take pikturs!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 06/15/16 at 04:45:27

I used Mapquest and checked my route to Franklin.....and I end up going right down the Tail of the Dragon and south on Route 28 to get to Franklin.......so maybe stopping at Deals Gap for the night will work out and in the morning I can decide if I am going to ride....or continue driving down to Franklin.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #62 - 06/16/16 at 10:22:51

I arrived. I hoped to get to Deals Gap by 12 last night - but with gas and dinner stops I didn't arrive until 13.......showered and sleeping in my trailer by 13.5!

I drove on down to MiMountain and met the owner Greg, he had me park by our cabin.  It is a long walk to the toilet!

I am out riding in GA- and 76 is loaded with scary tar snakes!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #63 - 06/16/16 at 18:09:31

I had a good day....the weather was perfect.

The roads I tried today were not as good as what we have around Waynesville.  It seems the east/west roads are in the valleys along the sides of the mountains, and the north/south roads go up and over them - so the next trial will be to use the east/west roads to access the better mountain roads (north/south).  I was headed up Route 60 toward Tellico Plans around 4, and I was going to try and ride the Cherohala and then the Dragon and then go home on 28 - but I figured I was not going to have enough time.  I reset the course for 129 and road it up to Deals Gap, road the Dragon north and then back south, then headed back to Franklin on 28 and got home at 8PM.  I went 287 miles today.

I have never ridden on tar snakes like the ones on 76.  They must be standing up from the surface a bit....and they could be rubbery.....cause when you are leaned over in a curve and hit one (or several)...the bikes wiggles around a lot and I don't get a good feeling from it.  Some wiggles can be ignored - these don't feel like it would be wise to ignore them!

My impression after the first day is that Franklin and MiMountain are an hour or more away from the good riding in GA.  The roads to get there are OK - but it is a lot of mediocre riding to get to where the action is.  Maybe Oldfeller and I can find a spot that is closer to the fun!

Oldfeller.....since you will be here 1-2 PM, I will go on a morning ride if the weather allows, and be back to the campground by 1.  There is supposed to be a strong thunderstorm overnight - but right now I am sitting outside at a Mexican restaurant, and the skies are clear and it is very nice.  I might make a Verslagen inspired "tarp hanging from the cabin" for the motorcycle tonight!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #64 - 06/16/16 at 19:59:31

Old dude, on a bagger, windshield, straight road, rolling with traffic, about forty MPH,   rear tire hits the end of a tar snake.
Boom,on his side... I was watching and I don't know which one of us was more surprised.
Watch them, they can bite.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 06/17/16 at 04:10:32

The weather forecast nailed it.......thunderstorms rolled in between 2-3 AM this morning.  It is now 7 AM and the sun is up and it looks like a great day to ride....some PM thunderstorms are forecast.

I pretty much have this place to myself.  There are folks in their campers that must have their own bathrooms - as I have never seen anyone in the bathrooms.  There are no tents set up in any of the camps sites.....just RV's and camping trailers in their semi-permanent spots.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 06/18/16 at 18:36:49

Oldfeller arrived Friday morning about 9:30.  We went for a ride into Georgia....and we found some OK roads.....but not great.  We bailed out of Georgia and went to Robbinsville, and we rode Wayah Road.....and it was great as usual.  It starts out along a creek, goes up one mountain and down the other side, then it goes along a lake shore...then up another mountain, and then down the other side to some really nice tight twisties!  I do believe that and 28, and 231 between Waynesville and Brevard are my favorite roads.

This morning OF left to go home, and I went on a nice long ride.  I rode south on 28 out of Franklin to Warwoman, then Warwoman over to the west......and then the Russel something scenic parkway, then to 348, and then to the Two Wheels Inn for lunch.  After that I rode up to Tellico Plains, rode the Cherohala Parkway, then 129 up to Deals Gap......then I rode 28 south to Franklin.   I rode about 300 miles today....WOO HOO!

I think I know enough now to provide a good ride into northern Georgia for a day or two - but for the tight twisty riding that I like.....Waynesville and Deals Gap most likely is a better choice.

But.......it was a nice visit for this weekend, and a nice adventure.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #67 - 06/18/16 at 20:28:24

Yep, I am back home again.  

Dave's road and ride synopsis is spot on, there are no amazing Savage roads in the Georgia mountains.  We like to ride at 25-60 mph on a very curvy Savage road and the good Savage roads suit those speeds.

Dave theorizes that the guy who marked up the map for him rides GSXer type machines and he goes very very fast on those Georgia rural roads to make them exciting.   This could be, we saw no Georgia cops down there writing tickets.   We did see a lot of fairly finished looking mountain communities, with very well developed lakes, kinda like the Lake Lure area in NC.

Most of the roads were 3 lane construction, with a passing lane alternating in each direction every 3 miles or so so getting around a slow poke wasn't much of an adventure to us.

There were no great yet cheap cabins in the Franklin/Georgia area either.   There is some cheap stuff, but the cheap stuff is very run down OLD stuff and the good to great stuff is very expensive, much more so than Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground.

I felt comfortable calling the trip a bust as far as finding any new places to stay within the first 9 hours of riding around.  

I characterize the "places to stay" issue like this --- the 1960's and 1970's people who actually built these campgrounds and the cabins and who actually put it all together are mostly dying from old age now.   Only the very rare places like Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground are really good enough to have been profitable ongoing (and to be sold and and bought again by new blood) in this day and age.

The very very run down very old cabins I stayed in were built 30+ years ago out of rough sawn 2" thick 14" wide pine planks installed vertically that had exterior 4" wide 1" thick strips from the same material nailed over the fit up gaps on the outside.  "Lap and strake construction" is what it was called when I was a kid, and all the corn cribs and farm barns and outbuildings used it.  This cabin construction method had very much in common with those farm buildings, especially the tin roofs and the door construction methods (exact same heavy 2 by 14 construction as found in a barn door).

BTW, Waylah Road is a real gem of a ride, worth searching out all by itself.   It by itself has all the road styles we love so much, multiple mountain up-downs, a stream run and a lakeside run.  It has shaded mountain close twisty woods runs, a national park kayak laden stream run and farmland runs all on the same lengthy road.  

A primo day loop would be stay in Robbinsville, go up to the Dragon on 128 and come back down 28 (alias Fontana Dam Road)  going all the way down to Franklin, then picking up Waylah road to ride back to Robbinsville.    If we were touring a group of newbies, this would be a good  second or third day run after we broke them in good riding the Cherohala Skyway's big sweepers.  

We could wait until we had enough people (6-7) to fill up the BIG DOG at Simple Life Campground to get the BETTER QUALITY OF STAY at a relatively more reasonable price tag (perhaps skipping a year if need be to increase the participation rate).  

Robbinsville is a near optimal location to stay at, really.

My post surgical body report (my other reason for going).   Yes, I can still ride a bike up to the mountains and back again on the same weekend --- but I  have to pay too much in leg based body pain in the doing of it.   But I can still do it.   But only for only a day or so, so please understand there will be no more long iron butt weekends for this old boy.

Bike on a trailer, that's me ......

Compliments to Dave, he rode all the Georgia areas once before I got there and he rode them again after I left.  Nothing got skipped over, so Dave has a complete and honest appraisal of all the northern Georgia roads as recommended to us by his friend.  

To me, the north Georgia roads are sub-par compared to what we normally ride up in NC proper.   The condition of the road surface is poor, with tar snakes everywhere as they are in the slow process of being repaved.  Dave's Kawa 250 hates them tar snakes, you can see him abruptly move over a few inches every time he hits a fresh tar snake while taking a sharp turn.   The Savage isn't nearly as tar snake sensitive, but I got tired of hitting them snakes all the time too.

All in all, a good short trip.  Got good info for trip planning out of it, which is why we went in the first place.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 06/19/16 at 15:57:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #68 - 06/19/16 at 20:58:31

Old Feller says: "A primo day loop would be stay in Robbinsville, go up to the Dragon on 128 and come back down 28 (alias Fontana Dam Road)  going all the way down to Franklin, then picking up Waylah road to ride back to Robbinsville.    If we were touring a group of newbies, this would be a good  second or third day run after we broke them in good riding the Cherohala Skyway's big sweepers. "

That is what I do for a 4 day weekend type stay. Robbinsville has several small hotels and a microtell that are not too expensive .... well weren't when I stayed ($90ish) a night for a two person bed (queen).

The wife and I loved the microtell, has tons of bikes there so you have to secure your room way early in the year. It has the econo breakfast thing, but serves its purpose. Just did a fake reservation for aug 25-28 and it averaged $63 a night.

Other hotels in the area are even cheaper the farther out you go. We like the Robbinsville area as much as the Blue Ridge area..... so either side is good.

We still haven't figured what we are doing in September.... perhaps maybe the leaves will change early and we can do something up there.
We really wanted to go see the redwoods.... but alas... can't do that very cheaply Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #69 - 06/20/16 at 04:27:22

We were supposed to get photos....and I only got 2 (I posted the other photo in the "humor" thread).

This is the Two Wheel Inn located in Suches, GA.  It has camping and cabins and the lodge is open between 12-3 and serves a nice lunch.

The little Ninja 250 did great in the mountains.  I rode 911 miles on it, I averaged 69.3 mpg, and with the 4.6 gallon tank I have a range of 318 miles!  The bike is lacking a bit of torque when you come out of uphill corners....and when riding casually you have to shift down 1-2 gears when you exit the tight corners.....if you are riding aggressively you need to shift down 2-3 gears.  The seat was a bit tiresome.....the seat is sloped forward and I was always up against the fuel tank, and it would help considerably to take just a bit of padding out of the seat to make the top more level.  On the uphill parts of the Cherohala Skyway the bike had no problem holding 60-70 mph.....it just doesn't accelerate very quickly on the steep uphill roads.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/30/24 at 21:26:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › June exploration of Franklin NC Area

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.