Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
June exploration of Franklin NC Area (Read 708 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: June exploration of Franklin NC Area
Reply #45 - 06/08/16 at 02:49:04

Joints ?  You still have joints ?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 06/08/16 at 03:29:35

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #47 - 06/08/16 at 06:42:14

I would like to be able ride with ya on this one , but I can only do so many and still keep peace in the family and the chores done up.   Tongue

I'll be thinking about ya and grinning with ya's !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 06/10/16 at 02:23:22

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/franklin-nc/28734/june-weather/334781?monyr=...

Huston, we have a go for weather -- begin the final count down .......  

T minus 6 days and counting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 06/10/16 at 03:09:40

The weather looks promising.

I still have no idea what bike I am bringing - I will be hauling the bike down in my trailer.....as that will be my lodging for Wednesday and Thursday night - I am tempted to bring the little Ninja.  I just need to figure out how to pack my stuff on it in case you want to wander away from MIMountain on one or two of the nights (I might have to build a rack this weekend).

I also need to see it the 2 main backpack tent is big enough for your "air mattress"....and still leave room for me to sleep!  The 3 man tent is roomier - but is half again as big when packed up.

My vote is that we stay at MiMountain the entire time.....I won't need to turn my small sport bike into a Pack Mule!  July is the pack mule trip.....and I will be riding the NT700 (which already is a pack mule).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 06/10/16 at 03:31:52

Done.   We stay at Mi Mountain (if it looks good enough).

Boys and girls, we got two empty bunks going begging for free, if you want a short bike trip for cheap this is the one to glom into  .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #51 - 06/10/16 at 03:55:11

Since I am bringing the car/trailer.....I will bring the larger tent just in case we need to "bug out" to a different location.  That way we will have all options available tent/cabin....and hotel if needed.

This is an "exploration".....as we have not yet stayed overnight in this area.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 06/12/16 at 16:50:31

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/franklin-nc/28734/june-weather/334781?monyr=...

Dave,

Since you are bringing the kitchen sink, I won't pack you an air bed unless you just want to try one to see what they are like.

Weather is still changing, but seems to be running "mountain standard" a little short bout of rain somewhere hereabouts, but we don't have to be where the rain is (our standard avoidance tricks will work on this trip too).

I'm packed and ready to go.  Hey, I finally found me a way to get a plastic bag wrapped (rain proof) bed roll to stay on  the front forks & fender without sliding around all over the place.    Them front forks are bouncy bouncy fun fun fun to tie stuff to  (I am realizing this more and more and more as I get some more experience doing it.)

This week I will also work on my cell phone GPS system to shake out the Google Maps offline bugs.  I have memorized a trip map and can supposedly run from here to there in airplane mode, making sure to run the offline map instead of eating up my data plan and being all spotty all the time.

« Last Edit: 06/13/16 at 01:28:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 06/13/16 at 03:57:25

Based on the weather forecast, I am bringing the little Ninja, as it is a lot better in the rain than the Cafe' bike......which throws water all over me.  I changed oil in it yesterday, stuck on the tank bag, and got a few things in the trailer.  I have daytime work and evening City Council or Planning Commission meetings M/T/W, and I will be leaving right after the evening meeting on Wednesday night.  The meeting starts at 6:30......with any luck I will be on the road by 8PM, and I will most likely drive until midnight or so.....sometimes I make it all the way.  I am still not sure if a stop at Deals Gap will occur on Thursday morning.......it is weather dependent.

My Garmin is waterproof, and I do have a borrowed map that I need to try and keep from getting ruined, as he has marked all his favorite routes on the map.  I don't have a map of Georgia, and I don't seem to be able to find a decent online version.

I don't need you to pack an extra air mattress.....I will have my foam mattress in the trailer.

Won't be long now! Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 06/14/16 at 00:51:34

Lookie lookie, the weather just got sunny and nice and at 3 only days out one could hope it becomes a stable and accurate forecast for our trip.

Sucker will still change a little bit again tomorrow, this we know from all those past trip plannings.

Reality says it spontaneously showers (sporadically sometimes, occasionally) up in the mountains though -- always has.   We won't be super super high up in the mountains, so maybe this forecast is relatively more correct than not.  

And since we aren't trapped on "only one road" we can dodge and run away from from rain clouds according to info we should be able to get off Weather.com's radar.

Little Ninja will be nicer on your body -- and that counts some too.

WE ARE STILL GIVING AWAY (2) FREE BEDS in the cabin -- this makes it a cheap trip to anybody that wants to go off on a short exploration trip as we go hunt up new places to stay and new roads to go run on.

Plus, you get a hands on say on future trips, for both roads and places to stay.

« Last Edit: 06/14/16 at 01:53:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #55 - 06/14/16 at 04:55:12

The weather forecast is typical....it appears it has changed again and does show some thunderstorm chances.  There really is no way to plan a trip ahead of time in this area and not risk getting wet at some point during the week.  The only way to avoid this......is to wait until the day you leave to check the weather and make a go - no go decision at the last minute.  Even with a fair-weather forecast there is always a chance of a stray shower.....I will just have my rain gear in my backpack.

Anyone is welcome to come and ride with us......at this point we are planning on staying at MiMountain just north of Franklin, and generally we get up and moving, and ready to roll by 9 AM.

Dave

« Last Edit: 06/14/16 at 06:50:37 by Dave »  

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #56 - 06/14/16 at 05:38:41

Enjoy your selves. I wish I could join you.  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #57 - 06/14/16 at 20:10:49

I might be able to ride up one day this weekend but I won't know until this weekend.  My schedule is always up in the air 'cause I have to take my wife to work.  If she's off, I'll probably have the chance to come.  It's about a 3 hour ride for me to Franklin.  I'd really enjoy the chance to meet those who will be there if I can make it.  If not, everybody be safe and have a great time.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #58 - 06/15/16 at 02:45:18

http://www.mimountaincampground.com/

We will likely be out of pocket riding between 8 and 7 every day, so text us on the cell phones to arrange a meet up place and time, or plan to meet us at Mi Mountain at around dusk to dawn to find us still there (before we hit the road for that day).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #59 - 06/15/16 at 04:15:34

Everything is packed up, and I drove the car and trailer to work.....they are in the parking lot waiting for the work day and evening meeting to be over so I can "bug out"!

Still uncertain about the Thursday weather, and where I will sleep tonight.  It may be best for me just to drive to Franklin, then tomorrow I could ride 28 up to the Dragon and do a few runs....then ride 28 back.  The other option is to sleep at Deals Gap tonight and unload the bike and ride around the Dragon before heading to Franklin - I'm a winner either way! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 19:36:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › June exploration of Franklin NC Area

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.