Send Topic Print
Wiring question (Read 255 times)
frickshun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Wiring question
Reply #30 - 05/09/16 at 10:47:41

That sucks it's a brand new solenoid but I bought it on eBay so I guess that's what I get

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 05/09/16 at 11:22:25

Which posts?

A solenoid is just an electromechanical switch.
A chikkenshit five amp switch isn't gonna survive the load.
The primary coil, the small wires, creare an electromagnet, pulling a slug into a cavity, and making a connection.
You put 12 volts on one of those small posts, ground the other.
Then see.

Google
Solenoid

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
frickshun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 05/09/16 at 12:32:22

Well it was a 20amp switch.that's what I did this morning ran a jumper to the small post and grounded the other and nothing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 05/09/16 at 13:23:37

Well, if you hooked up to the hot side and flipped the switch, of COURSE it died and nothing happened.
Do you have a meter?

Look up solenoid
Understand what they are and how they work

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
frickshun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/09/16 at 13:30:08

I do understand what a solenoid is and yes I have a meter and have checked there is 12v coming from the battery there is 11 coming from the start switch and 0 going to the starter.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 05/11/16 at 21:29:12

Exactly where are your test leads that tell you these voltages?

What connections did you hook up the switch to?

Id disconnect the two small wires, run a sixteen gauge , straight from the battery, to one of those posts, ground the other.
And be in neutral. It might take off rolling,

IP Logged
Garry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 05/12/16 at 02:56:16

If the solenoid clicks it means the electromagnetic contacts are being operated. The fault must therefore be in these load carrying contacts of the solenoid that supply the starter motor or the supply to these contacts from the positive of the battery or the connection of the the output contact of the solenoid to the starter motor or the  starter motor brushes or the connection to the negative of the battery to the starter motor. You may have a faulty starter motor? If you put an ohm meter across the solenoid contacts and read infinity when the solenoid coil is not activated and zero ohms when the solenoid coil has 12v DC across it then the solenoid is OK. Hope this is of some help. These things always end up,being simple in the end!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 05/12/16 at 05:09:25

The infamous clicking is caused by the primary coil closing the main contacts, introducing the current load and its attendant voltage drop into the equation, causing the primary coil to suddenly have insufficient power to remain energized. When it drops out, the main connection opens, removing the big load, and, then the primary coil can energize and close the main contacts.

Again, connect twelve volts directly to one of those small posts, ground the other. See what happens.
If it spins over, it's not the solenoid.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #38 - 05/30/16 at 20:23:59

Very early on you said (I put the kickstand down and now it doesn't even click)Is the  bike in neutral? are you pulling in the clutch lever? If you say all the switches are working the solenoid won't come in if you don't proceed in this way.It doesn't matter if you start the bike in gear,with the side stand up/or in neutral you still need to pull in the clutch lever unless you've bypassed it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:31:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiring question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.