Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
2000 Savage clanking noise (Read 1148 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: 2000 Savage clanking noise
Reply #90 - 05/01/17 at 22:54:30

Factory manual lists In/Ex Valve Clearance (cold):
0.08-0.13mm
or 0.003-0.005"

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #91 - 05/02/17 at 05:26:54

I installed a thin washer under the lock ring to prevent the tensioner hitting the cover, didn't help at all. It's quite nice weather outside.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #92 - 05/02/17 at 06:59:20

kojones wrote on 05/02/17 at 05:26:54:
I installed a thin washer under the lock ring to prevent the tensioner hitting the cover, didn't help at all. It's quite nice weather outside.

Well, you got it all wrong, the aluminum housing doesn't hit the case, it's the plunger that hits a rib on the case.  And if that's rattling about, it's time.

WWW   IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #93 - 05/02/17 at 09:02:54

verslagen1 wrote on 05/02/17 at 06:59:20:
kojones wrote on 05/02/17 at 05:26:54:

Well, you got it all wrong, the aluminum housing doesn't hit the case, it's the plunger that hits a rib on the case.  And if that's rattling about, it's time.

The plunger is about 13mm out, so it's not that time yet  Wink

Would be really good to know if my clutch cover is too shallow and that's why the tensioner keeps hitting it no matter what. Wouldn't like to get a new cover just for nothing.

The tapping goes away and comes back with a twist of the throttle. Seems to be less frequent when the engine warms up. Quite sure it's coming from the clutch side of crankcase, but it might be the magneto side as well. Really hard to say with a stethoscope, too.

Guess I have to get both the covers off tomorrow to take a look and paint the spots where the plunger is supposed to hit.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #94 - 05/03/17 at 11:30:31

So, things I've checked or replaced so far:

-Camshaft journals (in factory specs)
-New camshaft
-New O/S Wiseco piston (old was 0,5mm under wear limits at the skirt)
-Crankshaft and con rod bearings felt fine
-New valves & seals (one was bent)
-Flywheel nut (couldn't get it open, so I think it's tight enough)
-Oil pump works & sprocket turned the right way around
-Clutch (in factory specs)
-Tensioner out 13mm, not hitting the cover, new cover ordered

Any suggestions? Intermittent tapping, comes back and goes away with throttle, quite sure it comes from just below the cylinder out front.

Will tear it apart on friday if I can't figure something else out.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #95 - 05/03/17 at 12:22:56

KOJones sorry about that bum steer on valve clearance , ,oo5 inches not mm. but I had similar noise and found I had set the valve clearance a bit too tight, before tearing into the motor you should try to set the valves at the high side of 13mm and see if the noise goes away.If the valves are set a bit to tight they tend to bounce off the seat and that may well be the problem,when mine did it I couldn't determine where the noise was coming from either,it was like a ringing noise all through the motor,and went away on increased throttle.With wear on the cam chain the cam is running behind the piston timing ,when the piston is at top dead center the cam is running behind.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #96 - 05/03/17 at 13:04:52

batman wrote on 05/03/17 at 12:22:56:
KOJones sorry about that bum steer on valve clearance , ,oo5 inches not mm. but I had similar noise and found I had set the valve clearance a bit too tight, before tearing into the motor you should try to set the valves at the high side of 13mm and see if the noise goes away.If the valves are set a bit to tight they tend to bounce off the seat and that may well be the problem,when mine did it I couldn't determine where the noise was coming from either,it was like a ringing noise all through the motor,and went away on increased throttle.With wear on the cam chain the cam is running behind the piston timing ,when the piston is at top dead center the cam is running behind.

But my bike can idle couple of minutes without any noise at all, then the ticking just comes back if i touch the throttle, or it can come back after a while without touching anything. Never goes away without using the throttle. That could be explained with a bent valve, but I've replaced them all as one was bent.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #97 - 05/03/17 at 14:18:00

Well, we've seen one counterweight fail.
Made inspection easy. It Self Drained the oil and installed an inspection window automatically.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #98 - 05/03/17 at 14:29:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/03/17 at 14:18:00:
Well, we've seen one counterweight fail.
Made inspection easy. It Self Drained the oil and installed an inspection window automatically.

Sounds fun and practical! The owner wouldn't agree  Roll Eyes

I read Dave's thread about the loose flywheel nut and that "clunk" from lifting the crankshaft rings a bell. Broken crankshaft bearing could also explain why the old piston had most wear on the sides.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #99 - 05/06/17 at 14:26:27

It was the balancer hitting the crank end of connecting rod.

2017-05-06_22_23_37.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:54:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2000 Savage clanking noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.