Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
2000 Savage clanking noise (Read 1148 times)
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Re: 2000 Savage clanking noise
Reply #60 - 05/17/16 at 00:59:24

Savageman wrote on 05/16/16 at 14:44:25:
And check the oil seal inside the cover. If it's damaged or not there a big problem. Not the oring on the oil filter but inside the clutch cover it's about a inch  to 1.5" in diameter.  Undecided

Oh yes, that axle seal. Saw it and noticed that it's very_slightly_ slanted, tried to push it straight but it wouldn't move so left it like that. Seemed fine otherwise.

What's its purpose? To seal something, obviously  Grin Is there a oil passage inside that axle or does it just keep the oil inside? Can't really remember which side up it was there, maybe I'll pull the clutch cover and check that it's not seated wrong way around.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #61 - 05/17/16 at 07:25:38

That's an important one. It provides oil pressure to the crank and top end. If it isn't sealing properly you lose oil pressure. You might want to replace it if it is torn or out of round.  Huh

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #62 - 05/17/16 at 08:11:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/16/16 at 13:16:07:
The oil filter can't be installed wrong way around.

We've Seen it done.

the newer oil filters have been redesigned, I think, the first time I changed my oil, I had to be careful not to put it it back'erds, the 2nd time, the filter would not have been installable the wrong way round
Maybe Suzuki got tired of replacing motors mechanics at the dealer blew up

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #63 - 05/17/16 at 17:48:59

It'd be great if that's true. I sold mine a few years ago.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #64 - 06/16/16 at 13:42:51

OK, drove it a bit with no change in the noise. Pulls really nicely   Cheesy

I inspected the audio file visually and the noise appears 852 times a minute. So that leads me to a conclusion that

-idle is adjusted too low
-can't be a con rod bearing as it would tap double as much, wouldn't it?

Next I'll check the compressions and look inside the cylinder with a borescope, if there's nothing worrying there then I'll have to order some plastigauge and check the cam journals.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #65 - 07/27/16 at 09:49:34

Had a few months of thinking with this and compared my recording to a S40 idling 1050rpm video. My Savages idle is adjusted much higher and 852 noises per minute suggests that the tapping must appear every other turn of the crankshaft.

So, it can't be anything else than a valve related issue or a stiff link in the cam chain.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #66 - 07/27/16 at 09:57:28

I'd use a good old fashioned stethoscope on the cylinder. It sounds like piston slap to me. Loose piston in the cylinder.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #67 - 07/27/16 at 10:00:45

Savageman wrote on 07/27/16 at 09:57:28:
I'd use a good old fashioned stethoscope on the cylinder. It sounds like piston slap to me. Loose piston in the cylinder.

That's a very popular suggestion, but wouldn't it make noise much more frequently?

I just got a garage to open her up, going to drive her there tomorrow and lift the engine off the frame, after a good session with a stethoscope.

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #68 - 07/27/16 at 10:16:11

You would hear it more pronounced during ignition. So the same speed as the cam. Every 4th stroke at the power stroke. Compression stroke, spark/power stroke makes the piston skirt rattle on the cylinder wall. If that's it. Could be valve timing jumped out a notch or 2.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #69 - 07/27/16 at 13:30:38

If you're Paying for it, you Definitely have some
Ko screaming Jones.
Have you asked what they are going to charge you?
Used engines aren't too expensive.

Before you start paying someone to go through the engine HUNTING for a problem,,I would get a Quote , a no kidding, we are not going to spend more than This money on it, quote.
I would be hunting a used engine.
If you can swap engines, then you can go through the one you're using later, build it up,
Labor adds up Fast, shops are notorious for bidding a job, and then they are SOOOO close, just a few hundred more dollars,, and Then they will have it,, they're just Sure.

I would not leave my savage with anyone who didn't know more about it than I did.

Talk to the mechanic, ask what Exactly he was planning to do to find and fix it.
Sounds like you're pretty able to do things, I'd hate to see you drop a bundle and not be able to ride because you dumped a ton in a dead engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #70 - 07/28/16 at 11:15:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/27/16 at 13:30:38:
If you're Paying for it, you Definitely have some
Ko screaming Jones.
Have you asked what they are going to charge you?
Used engines aren't too expensive.

Before you start paying someone to go through the engine HUNTING for a problem,,I would get a Quote , a no kidding, we are not going to spend more than This money on it, quote.
I would be hunting a used engine.
If you can swap engines, then you can go through the one you're using later, build it up,
Labor adds up Fast, shops are notorious for bidding a job, and then they are SOOOO close, just a few hundred more dollars,, and Then they will have it,, they're just Sure.

I would not leave my savage with anyone who didn't know more about it than I did.

Talk to the mechanic, ask what Exactly he was planning to do to find and fix it.
Sounds like you're pretty able to do things, I'd hate to see you drop a bundle and not be able to ride because you dumped a ton in a dead engine.

I'm going to do it all by myself, with a little help from my friends  Wink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvxuaovxpnrhyco/2016-07-28%2016.32.20.jpg?dl=0

Engine removal took us 3 hours, before that I had a chance to properly drive the Savage first time. Have to admit that it's quite nice bike  Smiley

The noise is most present when the motor is under load, while engine braking it's perfectly healthy sounding. On the startup the engine sounded perfectly fine too, but after a minute or two of warming up the clanking was there and refused to go away.

I hope it's piston slap, then I'll have a 666cc Green Machine  Cool

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #71 - 07/28/16 at 16:35:19

Took it apart, nothing worrying except valve marks at the top of the piston and a very loose wrist pin. How loose should it be? This one slided very easily on con rod and piston, could even wiggle it a little. Going to measure things tomorrow.

uneven wear pattern on piston side: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5b7cfbefxp5vgrv/2016-07-29%2001.22.22.jpg?dl=0
slight grooves on the camshaft https://www.dropbox.com/s/zs5m6az7mq9soo6/2016-07-29%2000.34.13.jpg?dl=0

« Last Edit: 07/28/16 at 17:43:41 by kojones »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #72 - 07/28/16 at 18:44:45

Most engine manuals recommend wrist pin clearances between .0008 and .0010-inch for conventional engines; my advice is to run .0020 to .0022-inch wrist pin clearance in a serious drag racing engine.

http://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-49-wrist-pins-and-unintended-consequences/

If you're able to call it sloppy, it's probably not in spec.
It's not Just the clearance, is the hole round?
Are the piston holes the same size and shape?
Is the connecting rod hole the same size on both sides?
How much slop in the pin and con rod? Can you tilt it?
Running a micrometer on each end and center and the length between end and center, how is the wear?

Dial calipers are better than nothing, micrometer is better.

The wrist pins job is to stop the piston at the top of the exhaust stroke and drag it down for the intake stroke. If it's worn in the piston/ pin/ rod areas, it's Gonna be noisy on that stroke.
When it gets to the bottom of the intake stroke, it's gotta stop the piston and head into the compression stroke. Worn holes and pin equals Clack. Turning around at the top of compression, no clack, turning around at the end of the power stroke, no clack,

Get the crank poking the rod up as far as possible and play with it. Feel for slacif you pull or push. Lean it left and right, gently, don't Try to wreck the bearing. Twist, push, pull, gilt.
Without knowing How loose the wrist pin is, nobody can know if it's okay

IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #73 - 07/28/16 at 19:59:23

As suspected the valve timing was out causing the piston to hit the valves. Probably due to stretch and maybe jumped a few teeth. Also you need to use a bore gauge on the cylinder to check for barrelling and measure the piston shirt diameter. Whats the clearance difference there? Your mechanic should know all this if he is a good mechanic. And look up the factory specs or rebore it. Piston pin should have almost no detectable wobble at all. Hopefully the top con rod bearing isn't worn or time for a new /used engine.

Talk to lancer about the piston.  Shocked

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #74 - 07/29/16 at 03:57:43

Savageman wrote on 07/28/16 at 19:59:23:
As suspected the valve timing was out causing the piston to hit the valves. Probably due to stretch and maybe jumped a few teeth.   Shocked

I don't believe it is possible for the cam chain to jump teeth on this bike.  If someone had the engine apart previously...they may have assembled it wrong.  It could also be that the wrist pin is loose enough to allow the piston to move around too much and contact the valves.....or that somebody over revved the engine and floated the valves.

Kojones.....Can you take a picture of the top of the piston for us?  Was it only the exhaust valves that touched, or the intakes....or both?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:31:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2000 Savage clanking noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.