Follow up on tires (Read 86 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Follow up on tires
05/06/16 at 14:28:09

I just wanted to follow up on the tires discussion. I just spoke with a guy named Kyle at Shinko. I asked which tire he would recommend for the Savage, the 712 or the 230. He recommended the 230 saying it is a newer all weather design (newer than the 712) and because it is steel belted. He indicated he actually just put them on his bike, a Vulcan 500. He did not know if the 230 would give longer wear.

Dave, any comments/updates on the 230's you put on your rescue bike?

MM, how is that Kenda Kruz working out? What is your impression of the tire now that you have 3 o 4k miles on it? Do you think you will get more than 8k miles out of it?

I have just about worn out my second rear Shinko 712. It will have roughly 8k maybe 8.5k miles by the time I change it. My first one lasted about the same. I think I will order Shinko 230's (front and rear) and see how they perform.

By the way, the 712 rear tire in my opinion is a pretty good all weather tire. It even tracks pretty well in the rain grooves. I would really like to get a minimum of 10-12k miles minimum from my rear tire though. And I do not want to spend the money for a Metzeler or a Michelin.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Follow up on tires
Reply #1 - 05/06/16 at 16:07:14

springman, I have a Shinko 230 in 150/90 15 tubeless on mine and have about 6800 miles on it,. Looks about half wore out. I'm figgering 12-14k on it time it's shot.

DISCLAMER--- I ride easy and cruise long easy miles on my high geared S-40. Your mileage WILL varie with your twisting of YOUR right wrist!!!

My tires ALWAYS wear out in the middle with the sides still standing tall. S. Fl. roads are straight and flat, and when I go to the mountains I never try to corner with the locals. Learned that the hard way on a bike during a mountain century ride.  
I got about 7k on my last rear tire, a Dunlop 404. Seems I got the same on my PC 800 with a 404. They are a nice all around tire, never slipped or wiggled on me, but I prefer a higher mileage tire, they are a chore to change more than you have to.
I think Shinko makes the 712 as a all around tire and the 230 more of a cruising or touring tire, they say tour master on the sidewall. If you want to drag your pegs in the corners, and rip it off every light, you will never get 12k on a ''cheap'' tire.
I set my bike up to take a 150/90 to try the Shinko 777 HD but when I was ready to buy I saw this 230 for $60.00 delivered! The 777 was $108.00 at the time so I jumped on the 230. 12k on a $60 tire is a deal in my book! But next tire I will try the 777, they are under $100 now.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/06/16 at 18:31:15

I only rode about 100 miles on the 230's before I sold the bike.  They were black, round, and went just fine down the road....I really didn't have them long enough to know how they will last or what they do in the rain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/06/16 at 19:07:34

Well Dave, black and round is definitely a good start! Grin

Badwolf, thanks for the review of the 230. I've pretty much decided that is what I am going to order for both front and back. I do tend to have a rather quick snap of my right wrist that seems to be hard to control when I'm on the bike. What can I say? I do not like riding close to cars.

I had pretty good luck with the overall performance of the 712. We'll see how the 230 works for me. Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/06/16 at 20:16:59

Spring Man,

I have just over 500 miles on the Shinko 230 front & rear.

I have only had one panic stop, and it was not a test, the bike stopped perfectly straight. There was no indication of any sliding.

The tires feel good in the corners.

I have not yet been caught in the rain with the Shinkos.

So far so good.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/07/16 at 08:02:06

springman wrote on 05/06/16 at 19:07:34:
Well Dave, black and round is definitely a good start! Grin

Badwolf, thanks for the review of the 230. I've pretty much decided that is what I am going to order for both front and back. I do tend to have a rather quick snap of my right wrist that seems to be hard to control when I'm on the bike. What can I say? I do not like riding close to cars.

I had pretty good luck with the overall performance of the 712. We'll see how the 230 works for me. Smiley

Cars don't bother me unduly, but i do seem to have this cro-magnon (cro-magwheel?) dude living inside me that seems to have more control of the right wrist than I do

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 05/11/16 at 02:47:44

Personally, I have Pirelli MT66 front&rear and am just fine with them.

Handle well, grip in the rain, no problems at all AND they are compatible to inner tubes.

My previous fitment was Avon Venoms (or was it a Viper?) great tire on dry pavement but being a semislicik wet grip was... opinable... Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/11/16 at 09:43:42

Thanks Kenny, I am gong to order the 230's soon.

Thanks also Pescatori, I have one of those Pirelli's on the front and I have to admit that I am not too happy with it. I will admit though that this tire is very old and that has probably affected the grip. I can tell you that as a front tire it was on the bike when I bought the bike ( I do not know if it was the original tire) with 4k miles and I am approaching 22k miles.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/11/16 at 10:01:23

Springman:  There is a 4 digit code on the side of the tire that will tell you how old it is.  Most of the numbers are formed in the mold and look like they belong on the tire - but there will be a 4 digit number that is different looking than the rest, as the numbers are changeable.  The first two digits are the week that the tire was made, the second two digits are the year.

You can ride on a tire that is more than 5 years old - but I wouldn't recommend exploring extreme leans angles!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 05/11/16 at 11:43:48

Well the Kenda 673 rear that I put on the first of April has 3,200 miles on it and you can't even tell if its broke-in yet .  
The Shinko "Tour Master"  on the front is about half worn out but I didn't write the millage down when it was new --- BUT --- I did replace the original front tire with it and the bike has 26,461 miles on it now .  

So how many miles does it take to wear-out the original front ???

Added note ... I always use the front tire for stopping - only in emergency situations do I add the rear tire for helping stop .    Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/12/16 at 06:13:53

My OEM tires were unusable at five thousand. And the front was cupping badly, shoulda ditched them at 3500. I never had such a slippery feeling rear as that sorry OEM tire, but, I figured if I could stay up on that, I could get through marbles and sand in a corner. I still believe that paid off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:24:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Follow up on tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.