Surging when decel..... (Read 47 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Surging when decel.....
05/05/16 at 05:10:11

My bike has 20 thousand and a few, dyna, and the carb is virgin. Still has the plug.
It's not a big deal, more of a mind game, like I think I am running out of gas.....
But when I decel on a downgrade, I get this surging.
My throttle is constant, other than I am gently backing off to stay within the posted.
Give it throttle, no surge. Downshift, bringing the rpm up, no surge, but I don't want to do that as it really isn't necessary.
I think I read about jetting will correct this, am I right?
If I am not mistaken, it always did this, even brand new and stock pipe.

Thanks!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Surging when decel.....
Reply #1 - 05/05/16 at 05:22:50

When I installed an Oxygen Sensor to jet my carb, it taught me a lot.  I was surprised to learn that even when jetted to run at the proper mixtures when at a constant throttle setting- the fuel mixture goes lean when you are opening or closing the throttle.  When you add throttle the amount of air coming in increases, and the vacuum drops and it pulls just a bit less fuel out of the float bowl.....once you stop moving the throttle the flow stabilizes and becomes normal again.

When you close the throttle, the engine vacuum increases - but the fuel jets are being closed off and limiting how much fuel can flow (The TEV valve is supposed to help that situation - but does not eliminate it entirely).  When you roll off the throttle, the mixture will remain lean until the engine rpm drops to a speed that matches the available fuel/air flow......you will never be able to completely eliminate the lean condition when you are coasting.

You might want to take the TEV valve cover off your carb, and see if anything in there needs to be cleaned, or if the diaphragm is still flexible.

Jetting may help your bike run better - it made a big difference on my bike, as it had a lean surge just off idle when accelerating.  If I pulled away from a stop and slowly accelerated, the bike did not run smoothly and I could feel it surge as I rolled on a a small bit of throttle - and if I increased the amount of throttle to about half throttle, the engine smoothed out.  After jetting the best results for me was a #150 main, #50 pilot and 2 washers on the needle in place of the white spacer....I first tried the normal 3 washers recommended and the lean surge was still there - removing 1 washer made the lean surge go away.

I don't have any really long/steep hills around here that require a lot of coasting - but we did have one member from Colorado that had a steep downhill that lasted for miles.....and he reported that his bike banged and popped and surged the entire time.....I don't think there is much you can do in that situation - except to open the throttle a slight bit to help cut down on the amount of popping/banging out the muffler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 05/05/16 at 07:05:50

if you changed your risers, handlebars, control mounts, throttle grips, or anything like that, you may have a throttle cable binding ... even messing around with cable and hose routing under the fuel tank can cause binding which may produce that "surge", hesitation while the cable moves in relation to its grip position ... YMMV

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 05/05/16 at 17:31:36

Dave wrote on 05/05/16 at 05:22:50:
...and he reported that his bike banged and popped and surged the entire time...

I like that nehavior from the bike. It makes it sound mean!  Grin I don't think anything can really be done about it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:32:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Surging when decel.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.