Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cable routing options... (Read 98 times)
Rayven

Colorado
Cable routing options...
05/03/16 at 17:21:29

So I have a 2002 Savage that is slowly getting built into a little chopper. I installed some 12" apes on it with the stock risers from the 8" buck horns, and I can't seem to find a good cable routing option with the stock cables...I've read on here that 10" is the tallest you can go with stock cables, but I've also talked to a few people on here who have made their stock cables work with 12" bars, is there a magical yellow brick road I'm missing somewhere? Suggestions? Or should I bite the bullet and get some 10" bars considering that would be cheaper than extended cables... Huh

All I have left to do...is a lot...

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Re: Cable routing options...
Reply #1 - 05/03/16 at 17:35:28

How she sits now... Speedo courtesy of Yoshi Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/04/16 at 06:37:12

Totally off the subject, but the picture of you coming down the road and then the pic of your bike, the background looks like it is not all houses on top of more houses. Do you live kinda out in the boonies? Looks peaceful, very nice.

As for cable routing , I never messed with mine, so, couldn't really say, but if someone has successfully managed to run 12" bars , no reason why you can't, since stock you had buckhorns.
Maybe go with a little less riser height? I don't know if that's even possible,,
How close are you managing to get ?
Are you able to get any cable in place?
How come it looks like there's two of you?

Yoshi did ya right.. looks good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/04/16 at 09:22:04

That picture was taken at my boyfriend's grandma's farm in Louisville, CO. It is very nice there, I was actually riding along a creek that is on her property.

Some local jackas-ses

Unfortunately since so many people are moving to Colorado people are taking all of the open space and building condos. Angry So they are starting to box her out and the city is going to force her hand into selling so they can build more of them... But that's a grumpy conversation for another time Roll Eyes

I haven't seen any risers that are much shorter than ours, I only paid $30 for the handlebars at a swap meet so it's not like I'll be out a fortune if I can't use them. The stock ones were just too short for me, I resembled Chris Farley's "fat guy in a little coat" on the stock Savage (in my opinion) Grin .

As far as the cables are concerned...I have yet to mount my peanut tank to the frame because I wanted to figure out my routing options first.

I can get the clutch cable on the handlebars and they turn fine, however if I mount my tank it becomes too tight and would likely snap.
The front brake line is also pretty tight.
Haven't even tried the throttle cable yet...

The brunette in the picture is my best friend  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/04/16 at 13:51:25

The stock ones were just too short for me,

Looks like a comfortable riding position to me.
If you don't Feel comfortable,change something.
If it's what you think others might think, phhhht.
You look like a chick on a bike, and nothing like something out of a Farley movie.

Grumpy conversations are  welcomed at the Tall Table.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #5 - 05/04/16 at 17:01:14

Haha well thank you! Regardless of Farley or not, she will be a whole lot prettier when I'm done with her...fingers crossed...

I come from a family of panhead and shovelhead riders so I suppose you could say I feel a little inadequate at times...but hopefully I can make up for it in some engineering and style cool points! That and the Savage is SOO much lighter and easier to work on.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/04/16 at 18:34:16

There are a number of us here who currently have HD's as well as a Savage or S40, and a lot of us have had HD's in the past.  Since the average of the riders here tend to be a bit older than the population at large, and many of us have been riding for 20-30-40 years +, we have had a number of machines of assorted manufacturers.  It's just been more fun over the years.  Point is, there is never any need to feel inadequate.  This bike may be slightly smaller in length and half the weight of most HD's but it performs quite well on the road.  It does not have the top speed of some but acceleration is pretty darn good.  In stock form it is a bit limited but there are things to perk that up.

IP Logged
1100dan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/04/16 at 19:37:56

I agree with Lancer. I ride a 1100 and a 1900, both yammi's. I've spent thousands on engine mods and cosmetics......but the Savage is my favorite...  Grin

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/04/16 at 20:44:51

Well thanks for the reassurance everyone! I won't judge my little gal so harshly now.

Sooooo back to routing these cables...any ideas?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:27:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cable routing options...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.