Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chirp/Squeak when clutch engaged (Read 219 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Chirp/Squeak when clutch engaged
Reply #15 - 05/10/16 at 04:17:21

I wouldn't grease anything related to the belt or pulley....it would make a mess.

You can take the pulley side cover off (the one with the slotted holes) with just 3 hex head screws....there are rubber bushings and spacers on the cover (keep track of where they go as they are different lengths).  Check the pulley and make sure it is tight.

I would recommend tapering the sides of the belt slightly as others have suggested, then apply a bit of wax or soap on the sides of the belt.  Don't grind away any of the side of the belt - just put a small taper on the tooth portion.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #16 - 05/10/16 at 09:29:38

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at it this weekend assuming weather holds up (no garage).

Probably try the soap/wax suggestion first then taper the teeth later if it's needed. Anyone have a picture of their belt after this has been done as a reference?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 05/10/16 at 09:57:00

It's easier to stay even and not go too far if you mark something before you grind.
A straight edge, clamped to the belt, a silver sharpie, make a line and don't go past it.
How these guys got to the inside edge, I don't know. .
What tool was used , I don't know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 05/10/16 at 10:20:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/16 at 09:57:00:

That "wondered me" as well.......the only thing I could imagine doing was taking an angle grinder to the outside - then taking the belt off and turning it around to do the other side.

It shouldn't be ground at a shallow angle - you just need to take off a very small amount of the bottom of the tooth.  All you are trying to do is stop the tooth from sliding on the pulley sides as the belt engages on the pulley.

I don't hear those high pitched noises anymore....so I have no idea if my belt squeaks or whines.  (My wife lets me know if I am whining too much)! Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/10/16 at 12:13:40

It's easier to stay even and not go too far if you mark something before you grind.
A straight edge, clamped to the belt, a silver sharpie, make a line and don't go past it.

Just mark the
Beyond this boundary are Monsters
line.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #20 - 05/16/16 at 18:20:38

Good news! Tightened the belt and the squeak is gone!

Tightened ~1/2 notch a little less - might be a bit too tight. I'll probably adjust it. Rode around for a while and squeak is completely gone. Thanks for the help everyone!

But there is some bad news. I think it is probably time for a new belt... When I got back from testing it out. I noticed some white bands on the belt and then upon closer inspections some small cracks. :-\

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1192912A1A6F67A!99649&authkey=!ABdKhU3XPYJ
yqug&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

1) How much does a new belt cost?
2) How hard is it to put one on?
3) Approximately how much would it cost to have a dealer replace it?

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 05/17/16 at 08:15:46

to the best of my knowledge no one on this forum has ever worn out a belt
Even guys with 100k on their bikes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 05/17/16 at 08:37:21

The belts can be over-tightened, and those white cracks on the outside of the belt are a good indicator that the belt was run too tight at some point.

Youzguyz and Raydawg have both needed belts..not sure of the mileage when they needed them - but it was up there.  Raydawg had his break while he was riding, and he was not sure why it broke as the belt showed no issues (other than no longer being a circle).

IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #23 - 05/17/16 at 12:12:47

I've only had this bike for two years of it's life so I'm going to blame the previous owners for any over tightness. Pretty bummed to hear I got 1/10th of the life out of this thing

You guys are in agreement that I'm going to have to replace it even after just under 10k miles? *SIGH* I suppose I'll contact some local dealers...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 05/17/16 at 12:31:41

Drey wrote on 05/17/16 at 12:12:47:
I've only had this bike for two years of it's life so I'm going to blame the previous owners for any over tightness. Pretty bummed to hear I got 1/10th of the life out of this thing

You guys are in agreement that I'm going to have to replace it even after just under 10k miles? *SIGH* I suppose I'll contact some local dealers...  

There is no way to know for sure how long ti will last......it could go for a very long time.  I would keep riding, and watch for a chance to get a good used belt when one comes along.  Often folks are building bikes where they want a chain, and belts are available several times a year in the Marketplace.  Obviously you want one as new and as low mileage as you can find.  Every now and then you can find one on eBay that is affordable - but often they are overpriced and sometimes damaged.

This one looks nice - but is expensive:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-LS-650-SAVAGE-DRIVE-BELT-CRUISER-27611-24B00-1...

This one looks good:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-650-LS-SAVAGE-LS650-Used-Rear-Drive-Belt-1998-...

This one appears to have some cuts in it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-650-LS-SAVAGE-LS650-Used-Rear-Drive-Belt-1998-...

This one is overpriced and scary looking....looks like is came from a bike stored outside in a junkyard:
kkAAOSwo0JWMWSg&vxp=mtr" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-suzuki-ls650-savage-belt-/181916220417?hash=item2a5b0d3c01:gCheesykkAAOSwo0JWMWSg&vxp=mtr

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #25 - 05/17/16 at 17:08:22

Dave,

With a list price of $225.00 is there anything we can do to make the belt last longer, other than proper adjustment?

I remember back in the olden times there was a product called "Belt Dressing" that was supposed to help extend the life of fan belts.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 05/18/16 at 02:57:18

I don't believe the belts decompose from exposure.....they are well protected from the sun!

The most important thing to do is keep the belt at a proper tension, and I believe a bit loose is a bit better than too tight.  And keep the pulley aligned....and do the floor matt mod to the pulley hub so the rear pulley wobbles as little as possible.  And listen for a "click,click,click,click" that would indicate you have a stone stuck in the belt....and remove it ASAP.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #27 - 05/18/16 at 06:03:18

Dave,

At approximately what mileage should the floor mat modification be done?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 05/18/16 at 06:11:48

It is my belief it should be done ASAP, and it is never "too soon" to do it.  I did mine at 1,200 miles.

The bearing in the pulley hub will get less eccentric load on it when the floor matt support is added.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #29 - 05/18/16 at 17:52:49

Dave,

Darn, I have one of the floor mat cutouts from Stew and I just had the tires changed at 5000 miles and never thought to make the change since there was no wiggle in the back wheel.

Now that you have your lathe setup can you make the bearing that you show in one of your older posts?

Kenny

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:23:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chirp/Squeak when clutch engaged

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.