Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chirp/Squeak when clutch engaged (Read 219 times)
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Chirp/Squeak when clutch engaged
05/03/16 at 16:53:20

Hey, everyone. My savage is an 09 just over 9600 miles. I've started having a chirping or squeak when I'm decelerating but only if the clutch is engaged. Seems to be coming from the left hand side, I can first hear it around 20mph but it gets loud around 25mph. (I commute in Seattle so there is a lot of starting and stopping in that speed range.) Doesn't happen if I'm on the throttle or if I'm using the engine to brake. If I'm slowing down with the engine and pull the clutch it starts, release clutch it goes away.

First started noticing something about a week ago but couldn't put my finger on it. Went for ~70 mile ride Sunday and didn't hear it. Then today it's loud and pronounced. Seems to be coming from the left side.

Ideas? Hopefully something obvious and easy to fix!?  Cheesy

Thanks for your wisdom, everyone!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Chirp/Squeak when clutch engaged
Reply #1 - 05/03/16 at 22:11:07

Check the belt tension, there is a
How to Git er Done section.
This high falutin bunch went full on geek and named it
The Tech Section

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Reply #2 - 05/03/16 at 22:14:30

Check your belt, make sure you can turn it 90 degrees with just your fingers. Make sure you do this in the midpoint between the front and rear pulley. If you can't turn it 90 degrees, it's too tight. If you can turn it more than 90 degrees, too loose.

IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #3 - 05/04/16 at 02:14:26

I agree it is most likely your belt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2ZsZzTwRyk

« Last Edit: 05/04/16 at 06:35:22 by Struch »  
  IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 05/04/16 at 08:00:07

Thanks, guys. I'll check it and report back.

I've seen this video before. I do have one question should it turn 90 degrees pretty easily (the video looks like minimal effort) or should there be a fair amount of resistance?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/04/16 at 08:11:08

Fifth grade girl effort. And she is not straining.

You may hafta play with it some. Might not ever completely win. I didn't. I used Gulf canning wax. It got particularly obnoxious after a ride in the rain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 05/06/16 at 08:06:14

So it seems looser than it's ever been. I do check it periodically but not a lot looser. The effort to twist it has just gone down but seems similar to the videos. I'm tempted to tighten it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/06/16 at 08:16:45

Grab the rear pulley with a hand on the front and another on the back, and see if you can wobble the pulley (not rotate) by pushing with one hand toward the wheel while you pull back with the other hand.

If there is a lot of play, the hub bearing is getting loose, and it can allow the rear pulley to wobble around.

A "fix" can be made using rubber floor mats.....if the bearing is allowing a lot of play it might need to be replace, and then shimmed with the floor mat.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/06/16 at 12:13:42

09 just over 9600 miles

Mine was like a constant chorus of crickets. Of COURSE, when I asked the dealership to check it out, they couldn't get it to do it.

Coff, coff...

What Dave said, definitely.
And, the rubber segments are getting old. Rubber is rubber. They aren't in the sun, but hot and cold,I guess it's all gonna add up.
Once you really have a look at how it's put together and think about what kinda stresses that part of the bike deals with, that they hold up as well as they do is kinda amazing.
I know how it feels to nail that thing and feel it accelerate.
The belt is pulling on the top of that pulley, HARD, and it's trying real hard to twist the pulley on the axle. You're mashing the rubbers, and just giving everything that is trying to keep the pulley centered on the axle a real beating.
I think another possible cause of a chirp is the teeth on the belt take a set,, and are slightly tilted, and maybe under deceleration the lower front edge of the teeth are touching the back side of the top teeth of the front pulley.
You could drag a bar of Gulf canning waxfrom front to rear under the top side of the belt and rear to front on the bottom side and see what happens.
Or, a bar of Ivory soap that is new, not soft from water yet.
That stuff works a trick on sticking wooden drawers.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/06/16 at 12:32:06

Here is a link to the floor mat thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1446828836/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 05/06/16 at 12:42:50

And if you don't want to bother making one, I think I have a couple of leftover shims lying around. $5 shipped, which covers the material, postage, packaging (and engineering Grin).

Just covering my expenses  Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #11 - 05/07/16 at 12:43:23

Appreciate the help, guys! I think this might be getting beyond my meager mechanical ability. I'll probably take it to a shop that I've been to before (wouldn't really say, "trust") as see what they say.

IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #12 - 05/09/16 at 16:48:58

Ok, So I talked to a mechanic. I came away feeling like I know more about working on this bike than he did... which is a little worrying. Wink

He didn't think it sounded bad but to me it's pretty loud and seemingly getting worse.

He did seem to think it was probably coming from the front pulley? Said greasing it might help. I'm reading through my clymers and it says to drop the oil and disconnect the battery, etc. in order to get at the front pulley. Can I just take the cover off? What sort of grease would you throw in there?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/09/16 at 17:51:30

My belt tended to make squeals, chirps, whines etc. depending on the humidity and it's mood.  WD40 was an easy way to silence it temporarily.  Spray the sides of the belt with the WD40 and see if the noise goes away.  If it does you'll know the problem is the belt rubbing on the pulley.

In March before I rode the bike this year I put a coarse sanding drum on a Dremel and I put a very small inward taper on the side of each tooth (both sides of the belt).  The idea is that they will slide into place as the pulley rotates without dragging on the sides as much as when they were square.

The weather here has been cold and wet and I have only been on two decent rides since the change and so far no squeaks, squeals, chirps or whines.  I hope it stays that way.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/09/16 at 21:03:08

The only people who know less about these bikes than a Suzuki mechanic is someone who has never seen a motorcycle.
The bike is too cheap to be hauling in to the shop. They never see them. We have seen two motors ruined by professional mechanics who installed the oil filter Backwards..
You're ahead to be patient, ask here, work through it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 07:17:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chirp/Squeak when clutch engaged

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.