Battery Change Steps (Read 258 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Battery Change Steps
Reply #15 - 04/28/16 at 14:09:10

When I got my 2014 s40 the first thing I checked was the battery.
The Suzuki "dealer" didn't connect the breather pipe and even in a  few miles it was dripping acid, also the distilled water needed to be topped off!!!

Needless to say they will never touch my bike again. Angry

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #16 - 04/28/16 at 14:14:54

Norm,

I had the same experience when I bought my S40.

The battery only had about an inch of liquid in the bottom.

The tires had about 5 or 6 LB of air in them.

The carburetor was clogged up so bad I had to disassemble it and clean it to get the bike running properly.

The Suzuki dealer fully serviced the bike before they delivered it and stole the tool kit.  LOL

Kenny G

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #17 - 04/28/16 at 14:31:48

Kenny,
It is hard to believe that a business would expect you to return with the sloppy treatment we received. Sad

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #18 - 04/28/16 at 14:51:14

Kenny,
Another thought.

It is easy for us, since we have some experience but what happens to a complete newbie?
What about a really modern electrobike? I don't think I would like to dive into fly by wire. :'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 04/28/16 at 15:14:09

If people wanna buy something that requires an electrical engineering degree to work on, that's their business.
Me? I like old stuff. Or, old designs, anyway.
I wish my 87 F150 wasn't injected...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #20 - 04/28/16 at 15:20:59

Jog,
I hear you: my Triumph is just like the Zuki, carbs and all.

I'm just a dumb old fart but I can fix anything that goes wrong with my bikes. I can't quite say that about my cars. :'(

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 04/28/16 at 17:01:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/28/16 at 15:14:09:
I wish my 87 F150 wasn't injected...

Had an '89 for a while. It was beat to death as a work truck. Still ran as good as new! Built Ford tough!!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #22 - 04/28/16 at 17:08:54

Norm,

The only way I would buy a modern motorcycle in my area would be a Harley, because they do have really good service departments for those that can afford them.

I go to the Harley shop almost every Saturday for lunch and all the riders there just rave about how good the service department is.

Kenny

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 04/28/16 at 17:39:57

Hmmm,,  not sure I want a bike that has its cheering squad excited about how good the mechanics are. Personally, I wish the pharmacist didn't know my name. What does it say about the bike if you're having lunch with the mechanics?
My bike saw the dealership twice.

Uhh, we can't get it to do what you are saying.

Thankfully, it stopped doing that eventually.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #24 - 04/28/16 at 18:16:47

Kenny,
I have never owned a Harley, they are too heavy and expensive for me.

When I see one on the road the low revving loping power sounds good.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 04/28/16 at 19:02:40

You can put a tool on the positive side and slam it on the frame and the fuses won't know. The current flow isn't through the fuse. But the tool ain't gonna be happy. Snot good for the bat tree, either. Just an all round bad idea.
It's good to be able to check the battery voltage.
It's bad to not have water in them.
The darn thing is hard to get to, there is a slot in the battery box   that allows inspection of One whole cell, IF you can get some light behind it. PHHHT, funk shun less..
And, getting water In? Yeah, good luck.  Need a veterinarian type syringe..

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #26 - 04/28/16 at 19:18:55

I installed a Battery Tender pigtail on my Suzuki for charging, it is also good for checking voltage.

I like the battery tender charging system. Some people are not as much of  fan as me, but it has worked out so far. I haven't had a battery let me down in a long time.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #27 - 04/28/16 at 19:47:35

Spedie wrote on 04/28/16 at 10:15:43:
I got the top of the battery box off on the left hand side to expose the negative lead. I had to buy a number 1 GearWrench to get it off. I don't know why they call this tool such a thing. The gear wrench is basically a phillips on one end and a straight screwdriver on the other - with a 90 degree bend on both ends.  

Sounds like a Gear wrench brand offset screwdriver, phillips / straight
the actual tool called a gearwrench is a combination wrench with a box end that ratchets, like a socket wrench, or that was the original tool they introduced, the brand now make all sorts of tools
I have a full set of early stubbies like that, made by matco, my shop foreman had the actual GearWrench brand
almost impossible to get the thermostat out of a 95-2001 Lumina with the 3.1 V6 without one of those babies in 13 mm IIRC

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 04/28/16 at 21:09:41

I have a wobble socket that is stubbier than any other I've seen. You will Not get the end bolt on a six cylinder Mack manifold without it. No wrench will get in, no standard socket, nothing. I called a big truck shop and a mechanic told me to call the Mac tool man.. He brought it to me.. I've never needed it for anything since.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #29 - 04/28/16 at 22:07:32

I have a 2001 LS650P. Here is how I change the battery.

1. Take off the seat and the left side cover.
2. Use your key to open the chrome battery cover on the right side.
3. Notice the 2 screws at the bottom and 1 screw at the top of the bracket holding the battery in. PAY ATTENTION to the orientation of the bracket and locking arm for the tool pouch cover.
4. Use a 4" or longer screwdriver to remove the battery leads from the top--negative first. (If you have a pigtail wired in, it may be necessary to remove the right side cover for convenience and a little room.)
5. Slide the battery out the right side keeping an eye on the overflow tube, if equipped. It needs to go back to keep acid liquid or fumes off your frame. (Unless you get an Absorbed Glass Mat or similar design battery.)
6. IMPORTANT. Charge your new battery according to instructions BEFORE installing it. Skipping this step will cause premature battery failure.
7. Installation is reverse. Attach negative cable last for safety.

I believe that is all. But I am old, so I assume no responsibility for a really bad outcome.  :'(

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:13:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Change Steps

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.