Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
advice on bent cylinder bolts. (Read 84 times)
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

advice on bent cylinder bolts.
04/27/16 at 15:22:42

Anyone have any experience in changing the cylinder bolts.
Ive had this project bike transmission out, top end off, on a bench for some time now.
I was cleaning up one day when i knocked it off its 2' high bench exactly on to the the cylinder bolts and it just stood there...

well of course now the longer bolts are bent nearly as much as the short ones are tall.

Are these just a screw out or does the case need to be cracked open?

Now Im trying to figure out if i need 2 or 4 new bolts, or if i can i use this sort of process to bend then straighten them out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRtIxG2co5w

Last time i asked this type of question about push rods, i got the horde into a flame war about the feasibility of such a thing.
In the end I conclude that its not feasible for push rods, but im not looking to start another flame war about this here.

I cant imagine too many idiots end up bending their bolts and have this experience, but if you do by all means let us know what happened

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: advice on bent cylinder bolts.
Reply #1 - 04/27/16 at 15:42:46

That's gonna fall( no pun intended ) in the
I've never heard that one before
category.
I don't know that answer.
I am curious about what your broom weighs, though.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 04/27/16 at 17:02:14

I think I'd pull the bolts out (lock a couple of nuts together on the top thread and screw it out) and try to straighten them first. That YouTube method looks doable. If you have access to a hydraulic press, too easy. You have nothing to lose by trying. Then if you have to, you can still buy new studs. If they can be straightened nicely, I'd be reusing them. But yeah, pushrods, not so much  Cheesy.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/27/16 at 17:31:05

They just screw in.  Go to Bikebandit.com or some similar site and look it up in the OEM parts section for the cylinder.  They are about $8 apiece so two of them won't break the  bank.  However, if you want to straighten them it is not a big deal unless they are bent more than a few degrees or they are bent at the threads or at the point where the threads end and the smooth shank begins.

Straightening them is easy and you don't need a dial indicator to get them straight enough.  BUT, when they are bent and you bend it back again you are doing a little bit of "work hardening".  On the smooth shank that's not much of a problem but it might be at the threads. The threads already make a stress point with their sharp V cuts into the stud body and a sometimes they break there, or weaken and break later, like maybe when you torque them down.  

I've straightened lots of fasteners and if the angle of the bend is shallow and the steel is a good it usually works.  But I would never do it to something that is critical to safety.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 04/27/16 at 17:46:48

Ha ha $8. Go buy new ones!! You'd spend more time trying to get a good result than if you'd gone to work to earn the money.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/27/16 at 18:14:00

I am one cheap SOB, I straighten nails and drill bits and bolts.
But I would not straighten those. A problem there is gonna be a lot worse than the cost of new. Before you order, pull all of them, roll them on a known flat something.. I keep a thick piece of glass, because I straighten stuff, check all of them out.
I'd be looking closely at the case, where they go in.
Any distortion needs to be carefully worked flat. A good file.
Don't let stuff get in the engine.

A straight edge is your friend.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/28/16 at 10:16:49

i know its a critical application, a safety issue but being a cheap bastard as well I thought id ask.  ya i can get a new set of bolts for 40$, i suppose the question is if i need just the 2 or all 4...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/28/16 at 10:28:58

Pull them, roll them, see. If it's not visible without rolling, then it's not hurt, but if it's not Straight, then when you are torquing it, how much of the clamping force pulling it straight? Will it slowly yield to the tension and relieve some of the clamping force?
Sometimes saving money today costs more tomorrow.
I'm cheap, but if there is any question about the quality of a critical element that replacing costs so little, compared to having to go back, new head gasket, and then the bolts you should have replaced?

And, take a bolt to the industrial supply house, the one that supplies the hardware stores in town. It's not gonna be eight bucks. Probably not three.
It's not That special of a bolt. I would be surprised if it's not just a grade eight.

Some places spec a bolt be oiled before torque, some, I think, say clean and dry. If it's supposed to be lubed, and since it's steel in aluminum, I expect it is, make sure you have the hole cleaned out and don't let it get oil in it. You Can screw down onto a puddle of oil and it can stop the bolt. Just oil the bolt, wipe around with fingers.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 04/28/16 at 14:36:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/28/16 at 10:28:58:
And, take a bolt to the industrial supply house, the one that supplies the hardware stores in town. It's not gonna be eight bucks. Probably not three.
It's not That special of a bolt. I would be surprised if it's not just a grade eight.

They are a little bit special: the shanks are waisted so the through hole can double as an oilway. Put a normal bolt in there and you'd lose or at least severely restrict the oil supply to the top end.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/28/16 at 14:38:10

Well, in that case, eight bucks isn't a ripoff.
That's why I carry one in. If it's not the same, it's Not the same.
Might save money by trying.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/29/16 at 04:26:14

I would think that somebody on this forum has an old engine case laying around and can get you some used cylinder studs.

Try placing a "Wanted" listing in the Marketplace.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/02/16 at 06:09:22

thanks for all the advise... id like to get back to this project sometime this spring...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:25:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › advice on bent cylinder bolts.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.