Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any tips on buying a 110v fluxcore welder? (Read 99 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Any tips on buying a 110v fluxcore welder?
04/26/16 at 01:31:46

Finally reached the conclusion that I can save time on my changes by welding on site, instead of taking stuff I need welded to a welding shop.
My place is wired for 110v, 15 amp. Breaker box is near the bikes. Welding on-site may also unleash a bit of creativity. Cheers!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Any tips on buying a 110v fluxcore welder?
Reply #1 - 04/26/16 at 01:37:17

You can hook up 220 yourself. It's not hard.
Do research on anything that you're considering buying. It's not hard to buy a turd.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 04/26/16 at 09:58:08

I have one from Northern Tool. It's not too bad. The welds are not as smooth as shielded gas welds and you get some spatter, but if you just need to stick some metal together that you will grind/polish which is not a weld that is life or death, I think it's a good tool.  I personally don't use t for anything that could kill me if the weld fails. but that's partly because I am not a great welder.

I think mine says it welds p to 1/8", so pay attention to that when looking at these lightweight models.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/26/16 at 10:31:31

I'm with Jog.  Since the breaker box is nearby you can buy a breaker for 220 and run some heavy wire to a recep (or have an electrician do it, a short run is not expensive) and buy a 220v welder.  I highly recommend 220v welders when possible.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/26/16 at 11:04:38

I got 25 feet of wire, came out of the breaker box,down a ways,up to a Big nail, down to the receptacle, mounted, not on the wall, but on the wire. I can weld outside. Or, leave the wire hanging, bring the slack over, weld in the shop.

I built a hook like they have in clothing stores. My walls and overhead structure are busy. Shop is small. That hook has held up for quite a few years.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 04/26/16 at 11:23:52

Fear of burning down the garage I rent for my bikes is what has held me back. I understand the benefits of 220v, as I did my first bead last night at the weld shop owners place. For what I do, I'll stick with 110v., fluxcore outside.
Any obvious turd brands?

« Last Edit: 04/26/16 at 14:13:15 by zipidachimp »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/26/16 at 11:45:48

If , no, SINCE , you have experience with a welder ,why not get one of those?

If you can rent a welder for a day, do it.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 04/26/16 at 13:50:45

The one I have is this, but just 5 or so years older model.  For what it's worth, I am satisfied with it, but I have never used any other flavor to compare.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200632003_200632003

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/26/16 at 14:51:35

zipidachimp wrote on 04/26/16 at 11:23:52:
Fear of burning down the garage I rent for my bikes is what has held me back. I understand the benefits of 220v, as I did my first bead last night at the weld shop owners place. For what I do, I'll stick with 110v., fluxcore outside.
Any obvious turd brands?

Well, you asked.. so, best I have after that is.
Go online, look for comparison s, and I still think you should compare 110 to 220,
Pretty rarely no different.
I did see a tig, stick 110,portable, Miller at the welding supply shop.
Hey, stop in a few Real welding supply places.. See what they sell.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 04/26/16 at 15:20:33

No tips on brands, but thinking you may as well get a gas/gasless mig. The gas and wire makes a much nicer weld. I only don't use gas all the time because we have to rent bottles in  Australia and that's expensive, as are the disposable ones. Otherwise I'd use gas each time I weld.

IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #10 - 04/26/16 at 16:56:16

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200656952_200656952?cm_mmc=Goo...

Spend the extra money, get the Hobart. This is mine. 5 years or so on no issues.

2000 S40 RYCA conversion built in 2011.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/26/16 at 17:13:04

I only don't use gas all the time because we have to rent bottles in  Australia and that's expensive,

Wow,, can't Own the bottles?

Can you own oxygen/acetylene bottles? I don't use acetylene, I use propane. I have a 250 gallon tank with a wet line. I can refill the twenty pound bottles, like the grill uses.
Makes heating the shop a lot easier.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #12 - 04/26/16 at 20:29:07

Craigs is showing a couple of Lincoln weldpaks (100, 125), bit pricey, will wait it out then try to bag a bargoon!  Training by youtube!
Thanks guys! Cool

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 04/27/16 at 00:39:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/26/16 at 17:13:04:
I only don't use gas all the time because we have to rent bottles in  Australia and that's expensive,

Wow,, can't Own the bottles?

Can you own oxygen/acetylene bottles? I don't use acetylene, I use propane. I have a 250 gallon tank with a wet line. I can refill the twenty pound bottles, like the grill uses.
Makes heating the shop a lot easier.

Yeah it sucks. Until recently, there have only been a couple of large suppliers who we could get oxy, acetylene, co2, argon and stuff from. They charge for the gas, and to rent the bottle. If you don't use up the gas quickly enough, they charge extra for NOT using the gas as well. And it costs a lot. Last year or so, the regulations have changed and little guys can buy their own D and E size bottles. They're still expensive but at least you don't gotta rent them and pay to not use. I've been sitting on a pair of  full size oxy/acetylene that fell off a truck some time ago. Swapsies for full ones through a mate's work only costs me the price of the gas. You still can't buy an acetylene bottle. So I use propane as well, unless I need Big Heat.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 04/27/16 at 21:21:55

I have two of the hobby buzz boxes. Both fluxcore only.

The late 1990s Campbell Hausfeld from Walmart is great (made in Italy).

The mid 2000s Hobart (Miller or Lincoln low end line) is a piece of junk. It will weld, but poorly. No feed control, flip the power switch and it starts feeding. Has done that since it was brand new, and the tech line folks attitude was "sucks for you".

The old CH is rated for 3/8". The Hobart is rated for 10g.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:29:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any tips on buying a 110v fluxcore welder?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.