stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Relocate rectifier
04/25/16 at 07:58:06

I am installing new saddlebags with the throwover belt, but I like to run the belt UNDER my rear seat as opposed to over. The belt interferes with where the rectifier is located about an inch or so, and I am wondering if there is harm in moving the rectifier a little closer (about an inch or two) towards the front so long as it has clearance?  I have previously lifted my seat about 1" front and 1/2" rear so there is a little more room under there now than stock.  I just don't know how warm/hot the rectifier gets and I don't want it rubbing against other stuff under the seat and causing wiring issues or worst case a FIRE.

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Relocate rectifier
Reply #1 - 04/25/16 at 09:17:45

I believe the rear fender acts as a heat sink, and helps to carry the heat from the rectifier away.  The factory made a place on the fender that is in full contact with the rectifier....and when I moved mine for the Cafe' I made sure there was an equal hunk of metal on the back of the rectifier to carry heat away.

Moving the rectifier hasn't been an issue for some - but the rectifier not only converts the AC to DC....it bleeds off any excess wattage that isn't being used....and converts it to heat.

I agree the strap is nicer looking when it is under the seat.  Can you cut a notch in the saddlebag "belt" to allow you to leave the rectifier where it is?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 04/25/16 at 11:01:02

Thanks, Dave.
Yeah, I can notch out the strap. I believe that sounds like the bestt option based on your info. On my old bags I had about a half inch pinched under the rectifier but the new viking bag belt is way too thick. I was originally going for the full hard mount on these bags but their hard mount kit doesn't really work for the Savage, but I knew that before I ordered them. I will use the belt along with some custom made aluminum strapping secured under the fender like factory saddlebag brackets. The belt will carry most of the weight and the brackets will mainly be to keep the bags properly spaced and steady and off of the rear shocks and belt guard.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 04/25/16 at 15:05:29

blue collar bobbers makes a rectifier relocation mount, only available in their kit I'm assuming :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsS7hNN4SQo

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 04/25/16 at 20:48:32

Interesting. It looks like they are using pure airflow to dissipate the heat since none is transferred to the battery box via conduction due to the sticky tape and minimal surface areas touching...and iirc the top is plastic. I guess this side mount lets them gat away with it since it is in the direct air versus hidden under the seat.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/27/16 at 08:50:24

Pull the plastic insert from the intake snorkel. Drop rec/rec into airbox and forget that it was ever on the fender. My 98 ran it in there for close to 10 years, and would still do so if the in case generator components had not failed, sending out a power spike that fried the entire system.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Reply #6 - 04/27/16 at 08:57:00

I have saddle's under my passenger seat, haven't had any issues period!

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 04/27/16 at 12:08:35

WD wrote on 04/27/16 at 08:50:24:
Pull the plastic insert from the intake snorkel. Drop rec/rec into airbox and forget that it was ever on the fender. My 98 ran it in there for close to 10 years, and would still do so if the in case generator components had not failed, sending out a power spike that fried the entire system.

BURNT the whole system?

so no way to rewire after that kind of failure?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 04/27/16 at 20:53:47

DesertRat wrote on 04/27/16 at 12:08:35:
WD wrote on 04/27/16 at 08:50:24:

BURNT the whole system?

so no way to rewire after that kind of failure?

Needs both rotor and stator, they arc burned clean through both units. Reg/rec melted. Ignition box melted. Starter is welded together. Wiring harness looks like a modern art nightmare. A power spike that large is invariably a bike killer. No telling what in the engine got welded to what else in the engine.

I could buy another brand new bike for what the parts and my time work out to.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #9 - 04/27/16 at 22:05:55

what the heck would cause the generator to fail like that?

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #10 - 04/28/16 at 00:52:12

My way:  bolted the rectifier to an aluminum plate, bolted the aluminum plate to the underside of the frame horns where the fender was bolted.  Outta sight, outta mind, no wires cut, no fender. Works fine so far! Cool

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 04/28/16 at 08:52:18

zipidachimp, can you give me more direction on what area of the bike this is exactly?  Or i this only workable if you don't have a rear fender?   If that's the case, never mind as I have a fender  Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/28/16 at 09:18:32

Sounds like Marvin the Martian nailed WDs bike with that dang ray gun. You got an EMP blast, WD. I would have to cut out as long of a piece of that harness as I could and hang it up.
I can't envision how that could even happen. I guess you're lucky it didn't just burst into flames while you were going seventy.

Anyone have a theory about how it could even make that kinda power?

I would want to autopsy the engine. Even if stuff escaped actual welding, current running through rotating parts can hurt them.
When I was the fleet maintenance guy for a small company there was a Mack truck that would go through U joints. After replacing a few I realized, that's not normal, and went hunting.
Discovered that the Engine wasn't grounded straight to chassis, so it was going through the drive line. Well, IDK exactly what you call it, Mack set them up so the chassis is hot, not ground.
Why anyone would do such a thing is beyond me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 04/28/16 at 22:20:23

Stewmills, When I got my bike it had the small Suzuki OE bags run under the seat. When I saw the module was covered, I cut a small notch in the strap and never had any trouble for a couple of years when I sold the bags to a friend who admired them. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 04/29/16 at 01:44:53

Had issues with the electrical on the 98 since the day I bought it, brand new, in February 1998.

It started eating batteries in 2007. Went through, on average, a battery every 3-4 months until it was parked in 2010. Just kept swapping them out under warranty.

My 03 had a going great than completely dead battery on the way to work a year and a half ago. Popped both fuses, the same thing the 98 did for the first time when it was 2 months into my ownership.

Looking to get something a bit roomier. Thinking a clean Road Star, LC1500, VN1500. Savage is great for 40mph 3rd gear back roads around here. A bit cramped, still, for longer rides or super slab.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:16:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Relocate rectifier

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.