Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bam, bam, bam! CDI fail? (Read 75 times)
phase
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bam, bam, bam! CDI fail?
04/23/16 at 13:47:28

Hi everybody!

I have troubles with the bike while I'm running. Let me explain it: after the customization it run perfectly (all gears at different speed). A couple of months after, I started to hear "bam, bam" just when I switch from 3rd to 2nd gear (running on the city). When I ride long distances at high gears/speed i hadnt get troubles.

But, just a weeks ago, I ride the bike at the highway and after a few kms a violent "bam, bam" shocked the bike. It reminded me the same explosions when the gas is ending and need to switch to reserve. It was cyclic, I mean it ended I ride well and after 1 km started again, and again after the next km, etc. Now, the explosions happen running across the city no matter what gear and speed I ride.

My bike runs with an air cone filter, the original petcock and original exhaust. All wiring and regulator plus CDI was fit behind the seat, in a kind of cage (drilled for a better air flow and temperature control). I've checked with the mecanic the next:

- Petcock: works well. It let pass gas and air on every posittion.
- Carburator: it is fine, its cleaned and adjusted to the new air cone filter.
- Spark plug: it wasnt dirty but we put a new one and the problem is the same.
- Coil: it works good.
- Battery: it has the right voltage between positive and negative.

Well, now the CDI. The battery is on a metal box and it seems we hadn't isolated it well. One plug (+) looks burned and the box had a lot of spark marks. I guess we had a shortcut from the early beggining (picture below).

I had two questions for my buddies:

- Does this kind of shortcut damage the CDI? As far as I know, the CDI is related with the gas management and could be the causer of the explosions, right?
- Do a regular CDI look these way (picture below)? I've checked some pictures of CDI's on internet and some of them have these marks on the back side. I mean, a working CDI has this scratches?

Let me know your opininon about the problem.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Bam, bam, bam! CDI fail?
Reply #1 - 04/23/16 at 16:31:25

hey phase,

Nice bike, very well done.

the "bam, bam" (backfire I presume, with the language difference) is caused from improper air/fuel ratios and the fuel is not getting used (burned/exploded) in the cylinder.

Check your air intake clamps, the intake manifold bolts/screws and your exhaust header bolts. More than likely, if you had the bike adjusted and running proper before this, one or several of these screws/bolts have come loose and is causing air intake/exhaust leaks, which causes "bam, bam" (backfire I presume, with the language difference).

As for the CDI, it should be fine. Rocks in the epoxy is a new one on me, but manufacturers do some crazy stuff.

As for the battery and box, you better fix that ASAP before you burn your bike up ... not good ... insulate the top box cover with RUBBER mat ... or cut up rubber tank knee pads to fit inside that box cover, glue in place.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/23/16 at 17:34:27

Phase,

You might want to check your gas cap and make sure the vent is not clogged shut.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/23/16 at 18:01:15

First thing I'd do is check for leaks. Note, idling while leaned over on the sidestand is not good for the cam. Put something under the sidestand, like a 2X4, jack the idle speed up, chock the wheels,

Intake test, you can shoot water from a spray bottle or shoot WD 40, Aqua Net hair spray or ether.. Lots of options.

Exhaust, you can try to hear, use a piece of tissue , feel for a puff, candle, or, just snug it up..see if it changes anything.

Header to head, flange bolts,adjust cold. And don't get harsh.
I'd just tighten up one location, test, then another location, test.

If you have not replaced the petcock, you might as well.
They eventually go bad and create weird symptoms.

What year model, how many miles or km.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/23/16 at 18:26:25

If your battery is shorting out, the voltage drop will cause it to backfire.
SO DON'T DO THAT!
Besides the arcing might cause an explosion and what a mess hey Jog?
What it does to the CDI I don't know.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/23/16 at 18:41:20

What? As IF I would know anything about exploding bat trees.

And, yeah, Versy makes an obvious and valid point.
You gotta fix whatever it is that is causing the slice and contact causing current flow, cooking things. You really could create a very exciting and expensive moment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
phase
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/24/16 at 03:51:18

DesertRat wrote on 04/23/16 at 16:31:25:
hey phase,

Nice bike, very well done.

the "bam, bam" (backfire I presume, with the language difference) is caused from improper air/fuel ratios and the fuel is not getting used (burned/exploded) in the cylinder.

Check your air intake clamps, the intake manifold bolts/screws and your exhaust header bolts. More than likely, if you had the bike adjusted and running proper before this, one or several of these screws/bolts have come loose and is causing air intake/exhaust leaks, which causes "bam, bam" (backfire I presume, with the language difference).

As for the CDI, it should be fine. Rocks in the epoxy is a new one on me, but manufacturers do some crazy stuff.

As for the battery and box, you better fix that ASAP before you burn your bike up ... not good ... insulate the top box cover with RUBBER mat ... or cut up rubber tank knee pads to fit inside that box cover, glue in place.

Thanks Desert Rat, of course I'm talking about backfire. I'll isolate the battery ASAP.

The bike is from the 2000 with 39000 km.

Thanks justin_o_guy2, verslagen1 and KennyG for the quick response too. I'll update as soon as I get news.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/24/16 at 07:46:59

Try not to be in the news.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:32:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bam, bam, bam! CDI fail?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.