Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone ever live on the big island of Hawaii? (Read 143 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Anyone ever live on the big island of Hawaii?
04/20/16 at 18:25:10

The wife and I have been trying to plan a vacation for our 30 year anniversary.
Her mom used to go to Hawaii to vacation, so now she would like to go.
Which of course brought up a search of the area's, costs of living ect....
Which got me to thinking about actually trying to think of where we want to be when we finally really retire.
The average temperature on the BI (big island) is 74 degrees...... ALL YEAR LONG....
Of course it rains a tad more than North Florida, but not by much, they have the same problems with insects.... spiders, ants, centipedes, scorpions ect.... and lizards and frogs.... but they don't have pesky critters.....
Houses are more often than not smaller in the rural areas, about half the size of what me and the wife are used to, but we want to downsize and start selling stuff anyway, so we don't end up having to clean up a monster house and yard.
So, the question is..... since we are going to downsize our stuff, why not go where the weather will be better in our old age?
And that is why this post.... anyone in a more moderate temperature zone on this forum? That isn't overpopulated and crime ridden?
Fill me in please!  
Our trip to The Big Island will more than likely cost us about $5,000 for a trip there and a two week stay (and that is in a low rent 1br apt), kinda crazy, but hey, gotta live once in a while eh?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Anyone ever live on the big island of Hawaii?
Reply #1 - 04/20/16 at 18:47:18

anyone in a more moderate temperature zone on this forum? That isn't overpopulated and crime ridden?

You can rule out Palm Beach County, and ALL of southeast Fla. I'm not sure if they are killing each other for sport, to be famous, or just for drugs.
I know a ex Green Berets that did 2 tours during nam, he now lives there and loves it. I guess after 100 or so years of war they are enjoying a peaceful stretch.  And the current govt. deals very harshly with criminals.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/21/16 at 04:17:31

There's a decent life to be had in Mexico. Read
Fred on Everything
Dudes an expat, nam vet, points out the downsides, and the upsides.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/21/16 at 04:48:30

We had an employee go to Hawaii to work a 3 month CO-OP job.  He couldn't believe how expensive it was just to buy groceries or to go out for an evening......so when you visit to celebrate your Anniversary, you might want to spend some time researching what it would cost to buy groceries, a place to live, medical costs, taxes, etc.

Our local wages/living costs are low compared to other parts of the country, and it affects my retirement income as a result.  I won't be able to retire and move to a more costly part of the world or country when I retire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/21/16 at 06:45:45

research the laws there, too
Last I heard you need to be licensed to own firearms The license is not 'discretionary' meaning you have to prove need, and only one civilian on the island has been issued one, and him only because he's the armorer for the police force
This may not matter to you, it would to me

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 04/21/16 at 09:23:54

Spent 2 days on Waikiki Beach and 5 days on Kona last August on vacation. I agree with other comments that staple items are more expensive in general, but if you are captive at a vacation resort it is ridiculous. However, if you understand that EVERYTHING has to be imported, you can somewhat sympathize with the slight increase in staple items but I think the resorts overdue it. But that's not just Hawaii, that's at any vacation resort outside of the continental US.

It was a great vacation, but I got cabin fever just being on the islands because we rented a car and drove all over Kona and it wasn't long before I felt like we had seen everything.

At least here in the continental US it is cheaper, and you have pretty much unlimited options of things to go do/see, etc. Just need to find that right balance of weather and community.

If you need any tips from our vacation experience let me know.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/21/16 at 11:18:38

You could also consider Belize in Central America.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 04/21/16 at 13:17:47

Thanks for the comments....
We decided our forever home has to be some place "comfortable", LOL Smiley
The wife puts on thermal underwear when the temperature drops below 65 degrees.
The laws on the big island are that you can own weapons, but must register them with the local county head. If you want a concealed carry, more often than not you won't get one, unless you are an armed guard for someone, or some business.
We definitely ruled out south America....... after the wife heard about some kidnappings somewhere.....
Mexico is not much better, unless you go coastal in a "fenced" ex-pat area, and we don't want that....
We shall see..... might do an annual trip, to different countries if we can afford it.... to see what is available.... not that we really want to leave now..., but the older we get the crankier we get in colder weather Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 04/21/16 at 13:48:00

Dang, you know it's bad when you have to 'snowbird' from Florida  
Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/21/16 at 21:41:46

Want a Real report? Downside and upside.
Fred on Everything.
A few columns were about what Mexico is like to live in.
It's not fenced. And, it just might require some
Situational Awareness
Willingness to go/not go, depending on what is going on..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 06/08/16 at 21:25:40

If your not a native you cannot  own land in mexico ,property in Hawaii is outrageous ,a gallon of milk cost $8.00 when I was there 13yrs ago.I hear death valley is pretty warm year around !!!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/09/16 at 07:55:11

Actually if I ever moved out of Texas,  i'd likely choose Arizona
Too cold? hit the lowlands
Too hot? go up ti the mountains
open carry legal
doesn't rain much
what more could a feller ask for?  Cool

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 06/10/16 at 07:09:40

batman wrote on 06/08/16 at 21:25:40:
I hear death valley is pretty warm year around !!!  

There ya go! I'll bet hardly anyone lives there! and the crime rate would reflect that!
Guess I'll do some reading about it, LOL  Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 06/11/16 at 03:45:28

I have not lived on the Big Island but I did live on Oahu for 3 years.
74 degrees year round ?  NOOOO
That is just the AVERAGE temperature throughout the year.
In the summer it gets HOT !!
You do have some evening breezes to help but during the day but you can turn red like a lobster...SUNBURN.  Of course after a couple of years you will be burned dark brown or red or whatever color you turn, then you are at the beginning stages of turning into a native.
Yes, it is expensive because of so much that needs to be imported into the islands, but the local fruit is DINO-MITE !!  It makes for some wonderful breakfasts.
All in all, I like the island life.  The drawback for Hawaii is the distance you or your family has to travel to visit.  If you move there, be sure to have a spare room for family and friends who WILL want to come see you ... VACATION.
You can get the same affect by going to islands closer to your present location.  The Caribbean has a lot of islands, and the smaller ones don't have as many tourists, which I really like.  
Yes, it cuts down on your roads to ride on but on a small tropical island you can ride virtually every day.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/11/16 at 06:57:41

People have houses in Galveston to rent out.
I'd sure want a spare bedroom. Sure, friends and family come for free, but if They can get a few people a year to come out, you could save them money and make some good money.
Might even be able to justify a coupla little bikes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:32:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone ever live on the big island of Hawaii?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.