Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil Leak on Head Nut Below Intake (Read 480 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Oil Leak on Head Nut Below Intake
Reply #15 - 03/19/18 at 10:49:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/19/18 at 08:27:37:
Everyone who Didn't torque the head didn't have a problem.

JOG ,That's an interesting statement! Are they forgetting these are also head bolts? It would explain the leaks ,as they would not be tight if the four on top were torqued and these two were not.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/19/18 at 11:01:49

Having seen a coupla oil filters installed bass ackwards and engines destroyed by Perfeshunal Mechanics, I can't say anything about your question except
That's a good Question.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jody72

check out Ramz's
4" forward
controls on Facebook

Moses Lake, Wa. USA
Reply #17 - 03/19/18 at 16:38:58

well I can tell you that is false. I have never tightened my head bolts 15,000 miles and I have oil leaking all over. 2004 savage

2004 21,000+ miles. center of Washington the state Smiley
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 03/19/18 at 19:31:17

Have you had the head cover off?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jody72

check out Ramz's
4" forward
controls on Facebook

Moses Lake, Wa. USA
Reply #19 - 03/19/18 at 21:42:35

nope I have not. I have only changed oil, oil filter, air filter and played with the carb.  but mid season last year it started leaking.

2004 21,000+ miles. center of Washington the state Smiley
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 03/20/18 at 00:22:14

Have you cleaned it up and hunted the reason?
I DID say the plug Can leak.
And stuff does get loose.
NOT having the retorqued is no guarantee it's not gonna leak.
You might reread my post.
Ask yourself
What is retorquing the Head meant to accomplish?
Would that be
Head gasket?
And how many head gasket losses have we seen? I THINK I remember reading about
One.

Paying for, or doing it yourself, seems silly.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #21 - 03/20/18 at 02:59:19

I've had a

-head gasket failure
-oil leak on the nut below exhaust

Didn't retorque the head bolts after rebuild, this time I will  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 03/20/18 at 09:38:41

Did your head gasket blow on the unmolested stock motor?
It's not a very common thing. I've been here thirteen years and I think I've seen one. People Do have a leak and diagnose a blown gasket, and Fix it... before they ask here.
If you installed the gasket
And it failed
There are many variables to consider .
If retorquing the head is actually Necessary due to design
Then it would be a mistake Not to.
And we have a buncha people who have never touched the head bolts.
So
The obvious answer is
It's not something that must be done.
If the bolts stretched out in six hundred miles, or the case gasket crushed, whatever, then Not retorquing would come with penalties.
Mine and many others suffered no penalty.
Leaks that people have seen after the shop "Fixed it  " Have been a problem.

Looks like a solution in search of a problem. And it's expensive to have done.
And expensive to resolve the plug leak.
In time or cash.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 03/20/18 at 11:40:53

kojones, How did you detect the head leak? why did you need to rebuild? Did you resurface the head and/ or cylinder , during the rebuild ? more details would be interesting.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #24 - 03/20/18 at 13:20:55

batman wrote on 03/20/18 at 11:40:53:
kojones, How did you detect the head leak? why did you need to rebuild? Did you resurface the head and/ or cylinder , during the rebuild ? more details would be interesting.

I bought the bike with the engine making weird noise, spent a year and a half repairing and replacing everything on the top end, including a Wiseco piston, new valves and head work. Finally after splitting the case I found a missing alignment pin at the gear driving the countershaft. That solved the noise issue and was the first rebuild, had the top end apart 3 times  Roll Eyes

Rode ca. 3000 miles with it last summer, then noticed it's leaking oil below the exhaust and consuming much more oil than that leak suggests, took it apart and found a blown head gasket.

Think I might have heard some pinging so replaced the stock value spark plug with a colder plug. We'll see how it goes this time  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 03/20/18 at 13:51:20

Not exactly a sound repudiation of what I was saying.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #26 - 03/20/18 at 14:06:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/20/18 at 13:51:20:
Not exactly a sound repudiation of what I was saying.

Nope. And the leak below the exhaust was cured with some sealant on the threads and the nut, after that the oil went out through the exhaust. Oil consumption was really bad, something like 1 liter / 100 km. And if I'd had eyes on my back I would have probably seen a huge cloud of smoke following me  Grin

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 03/20/18 at 20:39:19

A cooler plug may not be as good as running higher octane gas , if the bike is pinging. Pinging may have contributed to the head gasket and counter shaft damage. Pinging (detonation ) is caused by the flame front moving to fast ,and igniting the fuel which  expands before the piston passes TDC , 1) the piston is forced backward (damage to your trans?)  2) as the piston is moving up and the fuel is already expanding the combustion pressure rises much higher than normal ,attacking the weakest link (your head gasket). Octane is a fuels resistance to ignite , which is what a higher compression motor needs to prevent pinging. A cooler plug is shorter and will remove heat  from the head area faster after combustion , but will not slow the speed at which the flame front moves, so will do little /nothing to prevent detonation. If finding high octane fuel is a problem ,you could double the thickness of the base gasket on your cylinder reducing your compression by about 1 point 10.5 to 9.5 ,this may sound bad ,but when you raise your compression from 8.5 to 9.5 you gain 5% more hp ,but if you raise it again from 9.5 to 10.5 you only gain 2.5% more hp .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 03/20/18 at 20:50:32

It's a torquey motor, but you can kill it lugging it.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #29 - 03/21/18 at 00:38:34

batman wrote on 03/20/18 at 20:39:19:
A cooler plug may not be as good as running higher octane gas , if the bike is pinging. Pinging may have contributed to the head gasket and counter shaft damage. Pinging (detonation ) is caused by the flame front moving to fast ,and igniting the fuel which  expands before the piston passes TDC , 1) the piston is forced backward (damage to your trans?)  2) as the piston is moving up and the fuel is already expanding the combustion pressure rises much higher than normal ,attacking the weakest link (your head gasket). Octane is a fuels resistance to ignite , which is what a higher compression motor needs to prevent pinging. A cooler plug is shorter and will remove heat  from the head area faster after combustion , but will not slow the speed at which the flame front moves, so will do little /nothing to prevent detonation. If finding high octane fuel is a problem ,you could double the thickness of the base gasket on your cylinder reducing your compression by about 1 point 10.5 to 9.5 ,this may sound bad ,but when you raise your compression from 8.5 to 9.5 you gain 5% more hp ,but if you raise it again from 9.5 to 10.5 you only gain 2.5% more hp .

Sounds good. If it blows another head gasket I'll put another base gasket in there. The next step up in fuel octane is ethanol, I'm going to try that anyway but not going to use it regurarly. 98 E5 should be fine for high comp, and that's what I was using.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 19:48:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Leak on Head Nut Below Intake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.