Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torque specs for clutch cover (Read 93 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Torque specs for clutch cover
04/18/16 at 17:58:26

Hello, I was wondering what y'all go by for the clutch cover bolts torque. I don't want to go too much and break anything. Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Torque specs for clutch cover
Reply #1 - 04/18/16 at 18:45:29

I just tightened with a 1/4" ratchet, thumb next to socket, bringing it around by closing the fingers, not using the arm .
You can tighten up if it leaks, but once you twist something off, trying to get it as tight as possible, you're in trouble.
Land a bolt about midway on each face, just barely past finger tight, then go to the one next to it, on each face, it's not square, but, top bottom, left right, work around, back and forth , don't hurry. Better to make five passes and pull it down Flat.
Yes, there is a real torque spec, I don't know it, I opened mine , IIRC, three times, and I just did it. I finally tried to go without sealer, and it dripped, and I had to tighten them up past where I was comfortable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/18/16 at 19:43:27

okay, I just retorqued them, about 2 months ago I did the cam chain tensioner, and I tight end to about 85 inch pounds, which is around seven foot pounds. Now I'm scared I might have messed something up, I just torqued them to 38 inch pounds, which is about 3 foot pounds. Do you think I cranked down too hard the first time that I could have done damage? Thanks again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/18/16 at 20:37:26

What signs of damage are you seeing?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/18/16 at 20:45:05

None right now, I didn't pull the cover, all of the bolts threaded fine, I'm just worried I put a bit of pressure on the faces of the aluminum, but then again, I'm thinking the gasket would just squeeze down a lot before anything happened.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/19/16 at 14:40:18

If you see a leak at a bolt , you may have messed up the rubber seal on a washer, wouldn't tighten it. Wouldn't mess with any of it unless you have a good reason. When it's time to go in, id look closely at the threads on everything. If you get a new bolt, same size, same thread pitch, and it won't screw in as easy as the one that came out, you distorted the threads. That's not uncommon. I've seen a buncha nuts that didn't wanna go back on the bolt it came off of unless it's oriented the way it was.

Don't tighten things, other than head gaskets, with a particular torque goal. FEEL of the bolt. You can feel it stop. Use small tools for small bolts. Well, to be fair, if you're just too strong, naah, you'll pop the head off before you feel it, me, I can feel it.

They put torque specs in the book. Every bolt. Depending on size, thread type and pitch and what it's made of , but that is just what is possible, theoretically, before it explodes. The lower number is another engineering guess.
It's a darn sight easier to snug it up if it leaks than mess it up because you'd feel like a failure if it leaks. Take a chance on a leak,, or a rattle, don't be sloppy, but don't be Andre the Giant.
If you have to get a cheater pipe to get the oil drain plug out,  that's too much..

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/19/16 at 16:09:29

To loosen them, I used a 1/4 ratchet, they were tight, but not impossible to remove with just a small tool. I now know I applied too much torque the first time around, but distort the threads? I don't think I did. All of the bolts went in with ease, no tight spots, all the way to the end. I even took a peek in the threaded holes and everything looked okay. I think I just went enough to give myself a good scare....

IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #7 - 04/19/16 at 16:11:28

German torque spec. Good-n-tight!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/19/16 at 16:28:35

You can twist them off with the same ratchet.
Why would anyone put a tool on anything unless they NEEDED to take it apart?
A careful read of my post will help you understand how threads can be distorted,but work fine.

IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/19/16 at 16:55:08

I think I understand, what you mean. I have a few brand new stainess M6 bolts in the box, when I go back in, I'm going to see how each one threads into every hole. What you are saying is a thread that got distorted will usually only work with the bolt that distorted it, right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/19/16 at 17:04:43

The female side may not pull, maybe neither side did, but lay bolts into each other, heads away from each other... see what you see. If you SEE bolt threads are layed over, you got close to a wreck. The threads in the hole will not be in contact with the whole thread on a bolt that hasn't been stressed. New bolts don't make new threads. Now you have a new shape pulling on the threads inside the case and,new, strong bolts. What's gonna give first? Be gentle. Risk a leak.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:27:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torque specs for clutch cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.