smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: Exhaust smoke video
Reply #15 - 04/18/16 at 10:05:34

I am with Verslagen  My guess would be rings.  Do a compression check.

Also have someone follow you down the road.  See if it puts out more smoke when you accelerate or when you slam the throttle shut at higher revs.  If you get a big puff of smoke out when you chop the throttle then look at the valve seals and guides.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 04/18/16 at 10:08:52

Might not be a busted ring.
Might just be stuck.
Sure haven't seen much of either, or bad guides, but,
Stuffs gonna happen..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/18/16 at 10:41:02

The piston/cylinder on these bikes is pretty durable.....unless you run the bike low on oil.  There have been several members who have been on the interstate for an extended ride....and run the bike low on oil and scored the piston/cylinder in the process.  It seems a bit odd - the cam bearings get damaged by too low of engine idle speed (but the piston/cylinder and cam/rockers survive),  The cam/rocker gets damaged by oil with low ZDDP - but the cam bearings and piston/cylinder survive.  The piston/cylinder gets damaged when the engine is run low on oil...especiallyky at speed (but the cam bearings and cam/rockers seem to hold up).  I don't know of anyone that has documented a worn out valve seal issue.

What is your goal with this bike?  If you want the smoke to stop.....it really is time to freshen up the top and and piston/cylinder, and put a new cam chain in while you have the bike torn down.

If the bike runs fine and you just need to add oil periodically.......is it worth $ 400 in parts to get the bike freshened up?  (My guess is that you will need a used cylinder, Lancers new 94mm Wiseco when they are available, a cam chain, valve seals, and a gasket.  If the cam/rockers are bad....you need to add another $ 400 to the estimate).

You may be able to find a good running used engine for less.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 04/18/16 at 11:11:38

If you want to go to lengths, wring out some power, then you can go oversized on the piston, put a cam in, clean up the exhaust, get the bore treated, and spend some MUNeee...

There are several here who have massaged theirs. I don't know what differences between them there are and how much different they perform on the Dyno. Naturally, the most cost effective performance gains are from ditching pounds.

Like Dave said, never seen a guide give up like that. And, it Is strange how a
Low oil event
gets the piston and not the cam.
Just going on the odds, what's been seen, Dave is right. The stuck ring is a real long shot.
Not knowing the history of your bike, it's possible that it sat up long enough for the oil on the rings, cylinder , piston to drip down and leave it insufficiently protected, then starting it up hurt it.
Wouldn't it be cool to have a scope and be able to go through the plug hole and look at the bore wall?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 04/18/16 at 11:34:48

A lower cost rebuild is possible, if you can find some good used parts.  Obviously the piston rings and a cylinder hone would be the minimum.....I have a stock piston with 17,000 miles you can have (I used the cylinder for an overbore).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 04/18/16 at 16:48:28

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,348050,348191

Might be worth a try, before tearing it down.
I would not do this without asking the genuine mechanics here first. I'm still leaning toward Dave being right, but Boy wouldn't it stink to get in and find a stuck ring?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #21 - 04/18/16 at 20:18:53

Would thicker oil help? Huh

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #22 - 04/18/16 at 20:24:26

In my experience, only if it's 90W oil.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
plsully3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/19/16 at 06:23:50

Thanks for the input! I'll check the vent tube and my neighbor used to rebuild auto engines so this is looking like a good learning experience. Should I go ahead and put in a new cam chain in addition to the valve seals and rings.

IP Logged
plsully3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/19/16 at 06:27:56

got the answer on the cam chain ... just missed it somehow when I was reading over the posts. I may try to ride it through the season carrying oil in my saddlebag. I know you can't get an accurate idea of the oil level when it's hot but I have a level which I put on my luggage rack just to make sure I've got the bike exactly  vertical when checking the oil level.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 04/19/16 at 07:02:24

You don't absolutely have to have it perfectly level, and hot is OK.....just pull it upright and make sure the oil is in the window.

Some folks also check the oil with the bike on the sidestand....by just having the top of the oil barely visible when on the stand.  (I can't do that as I have a Cafe' bike with longer shocks and the bike leans at a pretty steep angle).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust smoke video

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.