Oxidized Aluminum? (Read 317 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Oxidized Aluminum?
Reply #30 - 04/18/16 at 13:31:15

It is a beautiful bike!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 04/18/16 at 15:53:17

OK....I am late to this thread  - but those parts are so far gone you really should not try and save them.  The corrosion will be deep, and no amount of sanding and buffing is going to get the deep black pits out of the aluminum benath those white blossoms.  Even if you sandblast the pieces, you will need to powder coat them to get any kind of a finish on them.

You are either going to have to embrace the corroded look and build a Rat Bike, or powder coat or paint them - or you are going to have to get some better parts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #32 - 04/18/16 at 15:59:46

Dave,

the voice of reason ...

Thank you ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 04/18/16 at 17:11:36

Okay, you need parts that will clean up and chrome. Is that thing Usable, safely? If so, would it be worth the effort to swap that poor, irretrievably uglified thing onto your bike and send the one you're using off for chrome? Nobody has to know how ugly it is,some paint would hide a lot of the fugly for a while. Then it's gonna flake off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #34 - 04/18/16 at 19:17:44

Justin,

YES, the parts are safe, as long as I swap the spokes and bearings, they will function safely.

The oxidation is cosmetic, and has not gone so far as to compromise the integrity. The pitting is only a few thousandths deep, it is rough to the touch but not DEEP.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 04/19/16 at 05:10:30

If do take the wheels apart......it is possible to get the hubs bead blasted, and then powder coated.  I have seen black hubs and they look really nice, and there are also silver colors that would look good.  Sanding and buffing to get polished aluminum is a very time consuming process, and you have to continually keep up with the polishing or it will corrode again....especially since you have removed the clear coat.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #36 - 04/19/16 at 08:49:20

at this juncture, I'm going to try a boaters technique and use a diluted muriatic acid solution. These guys use it to clean all the aluminum parts that have been corroded by salt water. My plan is to dilute by 2x what they use as a safety measure.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #37 - 04/19/16 at 18:57:58

I've never used Muriatic acid on aluminum before so I can't comment on that. But, it's an old trick to remove rust from iron/steel by soaking it in Muriatic acid. However, it will turn the iron black. You NEED to wash the part afterwards with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. Good luck and post some "after" pics. I'm curious as to how the acid works on aluminum.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #38 - 04/22/16 at 16:06:53

~UPDATE~

I know that Castrol Super Clean is BRUTAL on the aluminum covers ... made that mistake already on my daily ride. Sprayed all the greasy grimey bits on the bike and it ate through the clear coat on the covers ...

With that fact, I bought a gallon and mixed 5:1 with HOT water.

Took the hub and dropped it in for about 10-12 minutes. Then scrubbed part with a green ScotchBrite pad while it was in solution.

It is as smooth as glass now.  Smiley

It is discolored, slightly grey with some dark grey/black splotches, but I wasn't looking for shiny bright, just a smooth surface.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:30:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oxidized Aluminum?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.