Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
transmission/clutch issues (Read 84 times)
kw989
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

transmission/clutch issues
04/12/16 at 22:33:07

Hey guys this is my first post, I looked but couldn't find an answer in previous posts.
I have a 07 S40. I recently replaced my cam chain tensioner and my push rod. When I put everything back together I can't get the bike to move.  I can shift into gear but the bike barely moves, if I put my feet down it stops, doesn't matter how much throttle I give it. Also it will roll while in gear and the engine is off. I assumed it was a clutch adjustment issue so I adjusted it as far as it would go both ways and the problem doesn't change. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I live in WV and the weather is finally breaking!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: transmission/clutch issues
Reply #1 - 04/12/16 at 23:00:20

I suspect you put in too long of a throwout rod.
did you measure it before you put on the case?
13mm is too long, I go between 12 and 12.5

WWW   IP Logged
kw989
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/13/16 at 01:36:47

I didn't measure it but eye balling it I'd say it was about 1mm longer than the original plus I had a buddy put one the same length in his 98 S40. Do they have different cases?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/13/16 at 04:19:21

Why did you put in a new clutch rod?

Suzuki provides 3 different lengths of push rods - to allow adjustment for clutch wear.  If you put one in that is too long, it doesn't allow the plates to touch and the clutch will never engage.  If you have one that is too short, you won't be able to get the clutch to release.

There are two marks cast into the left engine case at the end of the chrome clutch release lever.  When you lightly pull up on the clutch lever to take out any play - the clutch lever should be somewhere between those marks.  Most likely your lever doesn't have any play, and the lever is not between those marks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
kw989
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/13/16 at 07:04:57

I changed it because it was slipping at higher rpms.

When I put the case back on the clutch was between the two marks, closer to the top. When I released the clutch the bike would hardly move and had no reaction when I applied the throttle. So then I adjusted the clutch to both extremes hoping to find out which way it needed to go. However the bike had the same reaction each time.  Is there a sweet spot in the middle that I'm missing?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/13/16 at 07:18:23

A slipping clutch is not always caused by wear of the plates - if you used an oil that has Friction Modifiers in it, they can cause the clutch to slip.  You need to be sure you are using an oil that is safe for use with wet clutches.

If the lever is between the two marks when the clutch is engaged, then the full spring pressure is being applied.  It doesn't make any difference if the lever is closer to one mark than the other.

It is not all that uncommon for the clutch to slip when the engine is cold - as the oil is thick between the clutch plates.  The clutch should not slip once the engine is fully warmed up.

What kind of oil have you been using?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 04/13/16 at 07:18:42

Is your clutch cable slack? There are adjustment both on the handl lever and down near the case. Yeah, I know, that's kinda "NAH! DUH!" kind of stuff, but it might be helpful.

But, yeah, what they said. You probably put in the wrong rod (or put it together wrong). I've never had my clutch apart, so I don't really know about this stuff. I can say that an oil change with the proper oil can help minor slippage issues. Dirty oil or the wrong type of oil can cause problems.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/13/16 at 09:21:21

Crescent wrench
Clutch actuator arm
Rotate, disconnect clutch cable
Still roll in gear?
Any free movement of the arm?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kw989
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/13/16 at 15:33:29

Currently I am using vavoline motorcycle oil 10w-40. Prior to this I used a synthetic but I read that might cause the clutch to slip. I have the clutch all the way out by the case. When I engage the clutch it is just above the top line. When I let it out I can hear a slight "tink" which I'm guess is that new rod hitting the case. So with that being said I'm going to pull it apart within the next couple of days and switch the rods back unless you guys say otherwise. Thank you for the advce

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:39:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › transmission/clutch issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.