Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finishing touches on build (Read 72 times)
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Finishing touches on build
04/12/16 at 18:40:02

So my bike is on the down hill now for the paint and rebuild that I am working on. I have some questions that I have been trying to figure out and figured I should just ask here. I have been trying to search for answers here and there, but have been extremely busy as I am graduating from nursing school in less than a month and have too much going on.

First, how do I change the controls and grips over to new handle bars?

Second, How do I change the grips (Mostly asking about the throttle side) and will these work?

http://www.amazon.com/Biltwell-GR-GCY-01-BK-Black-Recoil-Grips/dp/B014MZ8R7G?...

Third, What spark plug do you suggest out all the ones posted in the technical thread?

I will try to make a thread with pictures and what I have changed on the bike when I am done with school.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Finishing touches on build
Reply #1 - 04/12/16 at 19:28:19

CHANMAN wrote on 04/12/16 at 18:40:02:
First, how do I change the controls and grips over to new handle bars?

controls are easy, just unscrew them and remove the locating pin on the inside.  they're not necessary.

Throttle grip is easy, comes off with control, just pull off the silver cap.

clutch side will be fun.  if stock it's glued on.  hope you got an air compressor, wd40 helps.  stick the air nozzle between the grip and bar and inflate it. a squirt of wd40 will keep it from bonding back.

I use long small Phillips screwdrivers to help separate the grip from the bar.  stick them in where you can and work them around.  twist and pull.  come on... smile you're enjoying this.   Grin

oh I forgot, you got new grips, getting the grip off the throttle is a b!tch.  It's got ribs molded into the plastic and grooves in the rubber.
put it back on the bar for support, you break the plastic that's all she wrote.  can't figure it out?  cut it off.  and sand the ribs down.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/12/16 at 19:46:16

stick them in where you can and work them around.

I'll keep that in mind...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #3 - 04/12/16 at 21:02:35

I have a new handlebar so I wont need to save either of the stock grips. I actually haven't bought those grips yet. I was wanting to make sure they will work. They are actually just like bicycle grips in a way. Will the work as long as they are the same diameter.

So on the throttle side i can cut the grip and then sand down the ribs on the plastic?

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #4 - 04/18/16 at 13:30:30

I got a different set of Biltwell grips, but I cut the original grip off of the throttle (off of the handlebars) and didn't have to sand ribs. A little spit and elbow grease got the grip on just fine!

All I have left to do...is a lot...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:37:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finishing touches on build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.