Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dragon Vid
Reply #30 - 04/13/16 at 08:32:32

There are all kinds of folks and attitudes on the Dragon.  I remember coming up behind a man riding his Harley behind his woman on hers.....they were both riding about half my speed.  At the first straight the man got near the edge and waved me around, and I waved to him in appreciation as I passed by.  That put me between him and his woman - and she was bound and determined that I was not going to pass her.  I followed her for what seemed like a long time, and when I got to a straight section that was clear I passed safely (although the entire Dragon is a  "no passing" zone with double yellow center line), and she blew her horn at me in protest!

There are folks on Sport Bikes who can ride twice my speed, and as soon as I see them coming I move over and wave them by.  The scary (dangerous) ones are the riders who come so fast you can't never see them coming, and they dive underneath you in the curves without warning!  (They good news is that it isn't all that common - but it has happened to me).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 04/13/16 at 08:42:39

well unless there's some selfie stick that attaches to your shoulder like a parrot, he did that 2up.  

kudos to the rider, double kudos to the photog.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #32 - 04/13/16 at 08:43:56

Kenny, that's me on the chase bike and Versy in front of me.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #33 - 04/13/16 at 08:55:22

Heck, I see I missed all the conversation. Sorry been very busy. But heck yeah the Dragon is fun even if a bit intimidating. The secret as I see it is to follow someone that can pick good lines (what Versy did) and that makes the ride much easier for you. I have another video at home where the camera actually sees the speedometer at times and well maybe we were going a little faster than posted at times. Maybe. I am not admitting to anything. Wink

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 04/13/16 at 09:03:43

springman wrote on 04/13/16 at 08:55:22:
I have another video at home where the camera actually sees the speedometer at times and well maybe we were going a little faster than posted at times. Maybe. I am not admitting to anything. Wink

You can't trust speedometers or radar guns.......They lie all the time! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #35 - 04/13/16 at 14:47:57

verslagen1 wrote on 04/13/16 at 08:42:39:
well unless there's some selfie stick that attaches to your shoulder like a parrot, he did that 2up.  

kudos to the rider, double kudos to the photog.

He would have been using something like this:
http://shop.gopro.com/APAC/mounts/side-mount/AHEDM-001.html

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #36 - 04/13/16 at 17:17:37

SpringMan,

If I get to go on The Dragon some year I think I will follow you because  you look like a skilled sensible rider.

Kenny G

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #37 - 04/13/16 at 17:51:18

Thanks Kenny. I appreciate the compliment.

In all honesty riding the 3 twisted sisters is a much easier ride and just as enjoyable as the Dragon. That is, if you ride with someone that really knows the roads like Youzguyz. If you get the chance to ride on a ride that Youzguyz is leading you will have so much fun.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #38 - 04/13/16 at 20:47:09

SpringMan,

I would like to do the 3 Twisted Sisters, but that long ride by myself is scary. I am just too darned old to survive along the side of the highway for any length of time if i have a breakdown.

I am going to start looking around for a trailer and maybe that will be the answer.

Kenny G

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #39 - 04/14/16 at 07:35:46

Like I say, getting old sucks, but it sure beats the alternative. I understand you Kenny. I like to still consider myself young (58), but I know my body just cannot do everything it could when I was younger.

Yes, looking for a means for transporting your bike is a great idea. My wife has actually been pushing me to get a pick up so I can make the far away rides more often. When finances allow I will probably explore my bike hauling options more closely.

I hope we get a chance to ride together some day.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #40 - 04/14/16 at 19:56:22

springman wrote on 04/12/16 at 09:07:28:
Here you go Gizzo. This is how it is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJsdOwq_fY

Enjoy it and live to tell about it.

Looks like a nice "cruising" speed to enjoy the ride. Thanks for the share.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #41 - 04/14/16 at 20:28:32

Spring Man,

We will get a chance to ride someday.

I ran into a guy today that lives here at The Ranch that is 85 years old and just bought a new Triumph Thruxton.

The more I see of guys older than me riding the more optimistic I get about how many more years that I too will be riding..

Kenny G

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #42 - 04/14/16 at 21:17:18

That Kenny is a cool story. I have to admit that I was greatly encouraged when I saw an older gentleman pull up to my neighbor's house on a big ole harley (before i got my bike). It was a really pretty bike and so I told him I thought it was a nice bike. We got to talking and he told me he had just started riding a year or so ago. He was about 65 at the time. I said yeah, I can do this. I think it was about a year or so after that that I got my bike.

Well, here is wishing good health and happy riding to all us "older" fellows. Grin

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #43 - 04/14/16 at 21:26:04

Yep Desetrat, cruising is what it is all about. Wink For me the pace was brisk but acceptable. Would I like to go faster? On a closed course with full leathers, on somebody else's bike (I'm not gonna risk my bike), you betcha (but that ain' gonna happen). Out on the public roads with all the traffic? No thanks that was fast enough. Grin Grin

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #44 - 04/22/16 at 08:44:30

Kenny, there are guys on my S wing forum who are still riding in their 90s, and 70 somethings making cross country trips
I DO recommend trailering with a reliable 4 wheeler for those farther away rides though, it makes a world of diference when you arrive fresh at the venue
I also recommend a small trailer with tow vehicle over just tossing it in a pickup, it's far easier and safer to load a bike in a trailer than on a truck, and if using an enclosed cargo trailer, you can tie the bike against the side of the trailer and have bed space next to it, like Dave's trailer, which he pulls with a small car

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:38:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Vid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.