Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
NT700 Forum
04/11/16 at 14:13:52

A couple weeks ago I bought a HondaNT700, and I joined the NT-owner.org internet forum,  It is a helpful forum like this one, and with a little looking around you can learn how to care and feed them (the bikes....not the forum members).

I had to chuckle when I found out they use Rotella Oil and also put DYNA muffler on them!

Here is a photo from a fellow who replaced his stock muffler with a DYNA muffler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: NT700 Forum
Reply #1 - 04/11/16 at 15:24:21

Dave wrote on 04/11/16 at 14:13:52:
I had to chuckle when I found out they use Rotella Oil and also put DYNA muffler on them!

Here is a photo from a fellow who replaced his stock muffler with a DYNA muffler.

Grin Grin Grin

that's IS funny ... maybe one day the engineers and verticals will get the hint and offer these MODS from the get go on stock models ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 04/11/16 at 17:21:00

DesertRat wrote on 04/11/16 at 15:24:21:
Dave wrote on 04/11/16 at 14:13:52:

Grin Grin Grin

that's IS funny ... maybe one day the engineers and verticals will get the hint and offer these MODS from the get go on stock models ...

But then what would Monday morning designers/ engineers like us have to re-design / improve on ????? Wink

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 04/11/16 at 17:37:45

Enough about the forum, how about the bike?    Cool

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/11/16 at 19:09:02

Congratulations, that's a great looking bike.  I've been considering the Honda 700 line with thoughts of replacing my 750 Guzzi.  The salesman at the local dealership who knows my preferences and love of low end torque suggested the 700 series.

I thought they might be a little too heavy but he sited the low center of gravity.  They don't have any in stock so I'm looking forward to your assessment of the bike.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #5 - 04/11/16 at 20:10:42

old.indian wrote on 04/11/16 at 17:21:00:
But then what would Monday morning designers/ engineers like us have to re-design / improve on ????? Wink

Not sure the engineers had our best interests in mind when they designed the bike with a 100# muffler/exhaust.

Nor a rear pillion that is 12" high.

Nor a vacuum fed carb.

Nor a cam chain adjuster that gives out at 1/4 - 1/2 life of the timing chain.

Nor leaky nuts and bolts and head plugs.

Nor the faulty carb jets.

Nor all the other MODS we HAVE to do in order to ride a proper bike  Cheesy

all these planned obsolescence engineered designs, straight off the showroom floor, are meant for one thing: PROFITS

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 04/11/16 at 20:21:29

Well said DR!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 04/11/16 at 22:02:32

don't take my rant sideways, I love the S40 ... but if I had bought this bike new off the showroom floor with these issues I'd be all over the dealer ... and our forum is FILLED with posts from people with brand f#@cKi#g new bikes with all the above mentioned "issues" ...  Shocked

thank g*d I ain't skeer'd to wrench on s#!t ...
or I'd be one of the folks listing a new bike on craigslist for pennies ...

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 04/12/16 at 02:08:36

It's funny that the Harley riders throw away the only part of their bike that other motorcyclists think it's any use  Cheesy. Have seen a sr500 and cx500 locally with Harley muffs, and my mate has a pair on his gsx 250.

The 700 looks like a super comfy mile muncher, Dave. Good one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/12/16 at 05:00:33

engineer wrote on 04/11/16 at 19:09:02:
 I've been considering the Honda 700 line with thoughts of replacing my 750 Guzzi.  The salesman at the local dealership who knows my preferences and love of low end torque suggested the 700 series.

I thought they might be a little too heavy but he sited the low center of gravity.  They don't have any in stock so I'm looking forward to your assessment of the bike.

The NT700 and the new CXT700 are completely different bikes.  The NT700 is a V-twin, shaft drive, mid-set foot pegs, 5 speed, luggage built in.....the CXT is a parallel twin, chain drive, forward set footpegs, 6 speed, luggage at considerable extra expense.  I don't know how similarly they ride or how the engines behave....the NT700 appealed to me for the shaft drive and mid set footpegs - and it appeared the seating position and rear trunk made the bike much more comfortable for my wife when riding double.

Like any bike it has a few issues.  It could use a 6th gear for more friendly interstate use.....the motor does start to sound a bit buzzy over 60 - however some of the forum members ride theirs at 75 and are over 150,000 miles with no problems.  The bike was only sold in the US in 2010 and 2011 - however it was sold in other parts of the word from 1998 to 2011 - however the engine was first built as a 650 in 1988.  The luggage capacity is expandable with larger case covers - they are only available by ordering the parts from the UK, and it is fairly easy to get those parts shipped to the US.

So far the weather has been crappy and I have only been able to rid the bike for about 20 miles in very cold/windy weather.  It seems that it will be a very nice bike for me and my wife to ride.  It is much lighter than the ST1100, has a much better seat height for my 30" inseam, and just fits my wife and I a lot better than the big ST1100 did.  I do need to get a slightly wider windscreen as the deflected air comes around the windshield and me, and hits my wife in the shoulders.  The V-Stream windshield is supposed to be the cure for that problem.

Very nice, low mileage used NT700's are available for $ 4,000 - $ 5,000 - which is half what they cost new.    

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #10 - 04/12/16 at 10:47:06

If it helps, the NT700 is called the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Deauville everywhere but the US. I considered one when I was looking to replace my S40 but I could never find one that was close enough and cheap enough.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/12/16 at 18:22:04

Thanks Dave for pointing out the differences.  When I first looked at the picture you posted I thought it was an earlier and better looking version of the current CTX700N.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #12 - 04/12/16 at 18:49:54

Dave, The more I look at your bike, the more it looks like a updated version of the Pacific Coast with sportier styling. The dates you mention seem to take up after the PC was discontinued in 98'. I'm not knocking on your bike, I like it. I just wonder if Honda decided they wanted to be in the small/sportier touring market and if the PC would not sell in large numbers they would redesign sportier and try again. I have only seen 1 in person and it looked good. The faring does not cover your legs and feet as much, and I guess they got too much bad press to try the wrap-around trunk again. Although I like the storage the trunk gives me. All the plastic body work on both bikes and lack of tons of chrome make them a lot quicker to wash and clean. Do you know if their is any connection in the engine familys? Does it have hydraulic lifters?

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 04/12/16 at 19:10:12

Dave, I checked the specs, and the engines are totally different. 45 compared to 52 degree twins. 4 valve per cylinder compared to 3, and FI inside of carbs. But I am still think they are related concept wise.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 04/13/16 at 04:28:37

Not sure what/why Honda (or Suzuki or Yamaha) does or doesn't bring some bikes to the US.  The NT700 and the previous 650 version were sold in other parts of the world from 1998 to 2011, and only 2010/2011 in the US.  There certainly are bikes like the Suzuki 650 Temptor that would seem to be good selling bikes in the US.

I looked at a used Pacific Coast once and the size fit me well - but that rear trunk just seemed to limit what you could do with the bike.  You couldn't add a rack or extra storage easily, and it just looked a bit too funky for me.  The NT700 is just a little bit less funky looking in the rear, and you can get saddlebag doors that are wider to get extra storage for trips (I already bought them), and a top box provides even more storage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:24:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › NT700 Forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.