Send Topic Print
Battery replacement (Read 169 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Battery replacement
04/10/16 at 20:42:02

What brand do you go for, for a replacement battery? I discovered that bike batteries do not appreciate winter.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Battery replacement
Reply #1 - 04/10/16 at 20:46:13

SBS Powersports lithium

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/10/16 at 20:49:15

Neil,

You will find a hundred different opinions on this subject.

I personally like the YUASA Maintenance Free Battery and a Battery Tender Jr..

I leave my bike on the battery tender when ever I am not riding. You will find another hundred opinions on this subject.

Amazon has the best prices.

http://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM62H4L-YTX14AHL-BS-Battery/dp/B0018F3MP6/ref=a...

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/re...

Kenny G

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/11/16 at 00:43:45

Absorbed Glass Mat is the best value in my book.  Last a lot longer and drains a lot slower than traditional batteries, but still budget friendly and worry free.  Lithium ion batteries are coming down in price lately.  If you can find one at a good price, I'd go with that.  Those are more efficient and also worry free.  

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 04/11/16 at 04:27:39

Blog post August 15, 2004  Got the Savage.  Battery partially dead, replaced about October, 2004.  Got a Yuasa battery, came dry, acid, fill, charge, ride next day.

Blog post April 08, 2008  In the cage.  "Did you know that letting a battery go totally flat three times in three years is a good way to kill it? I knew that. Didn't let it stop me!"

Less than 4 years with a Yuasa flooded battery.  Third time letting the battery go flat totally killed it -- rode home, shut down, try to start, totally dead after a 5 mile ride.  Lancer had posted re: Optima AGM batteries -- looked it up, interesting!  When I killed the battery I bought a "Big Crank" AGM battery.  It arrived from UPS, arrived sealed and charged and the bike was running in five minutes.

The Savage has that stupid kick stand thingy that shuts off the motor.  Unfortunately I kept forgetting the key.  'Specially in '10 when I was dying.  I had flatten the battery at least eight times.  Yet in January '13 the battery still was working just fine, capable of starting the motorcycle after letting it sitting for weeks.

I  LIKE AGM batteries.

Batteries can be good or cheap.  Not both.  The good batteries use virgin lead, pure lead.  Chinese batteries can use recycled lead, not pure, not as good.  You do not need an unreliable battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/11/16 at 05:17:28

Glass matt (AGM), and if you can find one made in Japan or the US....they are preferable to the ones made in China.

AGM batteries are not flexible when it comes to abuse - letting them go flat or charging them with too many amps will kill the battery quickly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 04/11/16 at 07:54:11

My 2 cents worth.

I agree with KennyG. Not the cheapest but a great solution. I have that set up on my Triumph and when the time comes I will go with that on my S40. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/11/16 at 07:59:24

norm92de wrote on 04/11/16 at 07:54:11:
My 2 cents worth.

I agree with KennyG. Not the cheapest but a great solution. I have that set up on my Triumph and when the time comes I will go with that on my S40. Smiley

Yep.....and it is made in the USA!

http://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM62H4L-YTX14AHL-BS-Battery/dp/B0018F3MP6/ref=a...

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 04/11/16 at 08:47:11

I just buy em at WalMart
despite what folks say about chinese stuff, I haven't had a problem
I'll just repeat this again
it is quite possible for the chinese made stuff be horrible
it is quite possible for the chinese stuff to be better than american made
It's not the chinese who decide this, it's the folks who pay them to make the products
CAP barbell, made in china: weights can be off by a few lbs, bars rotate horribly, KBs are off balance and handles suck
Ader KBs, made in china: best KB you can buy, bar none
Diference? Ader insists on the highest quality, and check the product rigoorously
it's the company who orders the product that decides the quality of the final product, not the chinese
heck, most of the parts used by car makers are made in China or Mexico

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #9 - 04/11/16 at 09:03:59

YUASA batteries are now made in Reading Pennsylvania at a former Exide factory.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/11/16 at 09:07:08

Well if you are buying a Chinese made battery.....don't buy it mail order.  Buy it local so you can get a replacement easily if it fails in the warranty period.

My first BikeMaster AGM battery (made in China) lasted 2 weeks before it failed - the warranty replacement lasted several years.  The Japanese Yuasa battery in the Honda ST lasted 15 years!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/11/16 at 09:50:22

WalMart battery in my Lumina was 8 years old when i sold it, still going strong
I won't buy any battery via mail order

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 04/11/16 at 09:58:14

Dave,

My 1973 Norton, which I personally picked up from the dealer in London, came with a Japanese made Yuasa battery.

Before the Battery Tender was available my brother made a trickle charger, from maybe a Heath Kit. As soon as I parked the Norton in the garage I plugged in the charger. When I sold the Norton in 2005 it still had the original factory battery in it. Possibly not having an electric starter helped with the longevity.

I am a believer in Yuasa Batteries, but now that they are made here I am not 100% certain how long it will last. At my age it doesn't have to last 30 years....LOL

Kenny G

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 04/11/16 at 12:00:17

AGM!  

I got one locally at Adv Auto (big discount if you have the coupon code and order online first and then run down to the store and pick-up locally).  Mine is going into the 3rd season and it's great. Just make sure to have the store test it before you leave. My first one was a dud. It happens!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #14 - 04/11/16 at 13:00:48

FWIW, as an aviator I'm not fan of LI batteries.

It gets awfully lonely at 40K feet when the fire warning goes off and you know that, at best, you are 20 minutes from landing! Years ago we had the same issue with Nicads. At least one Lear crashed because of a thermal runaway. The bat. was/is located directly over the control cables!

Sorry for straying off subject.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:40:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.