Send Topic Print
The Papers (Read 42 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
The Papers
04/10/16 at 11:06:28

The real issue is that systems of government routinely put morally bankrupt individuals in control of trillions of dollars of cash.

Seriously, what do people expect is going to happen?

Yet this never seems to be concern. The media outcry always seems to focus on the manner in which public officials hide their assets, not the fact that the funds were stolen to begin with.

http://www.zerohedge.com/print/528178

Interesting video in there. And some even more interesting writing.
The PM of Iceland was driven from office. And the bankers who I so celebrated going to jail have been released. If not all, at least a few.
I'm kinda shocked at the names I'm not seeing.
I wonder why would all this come out Now. I'm also wondering if maybe someone was able to scrub some big names .

https://panamapapers.icij.org/20160403-panama-papers-global-overview.html

a Papers    Read later  Follow investigation

articles/00Overview/160403-overview-01.jpg
Giant Leak of Offshore Financial Records Exposes Global Array of Crime and Corruption

Millions of documents show heads of state, criminals and celebrities using secret hideaways in tax havens
By The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists
Apr 3, 2016
Reading time:
23 minutes   SEND TO YOUR INBOX   FOLLOW INVESTIGATION
In this story
Files reveal the offshore holdings of 140 politicians and public officials from around the world
Current and former world leaders in the data include prime ministers of Iceland and Pakistan, the president of Ukraine, and the king of Saudi Arabia
More than 214,000 offshore entities appear in the leak, connected to people in more than 200 countries and territories
Major banks have driven the creation of hard-to-trace companies in offshore havens
A massive leak of documents exposes the offshore holdings of 12 current and former world leaders and reveals how associates of Russian President Vladimir Putin secretly shuffled as much as $2 billion through banks and shadow companies.

The leak also provides details of the hidden financial dealings of 128 more politicians and public officials around the world.

The cache of 11.5 million records shows how a global industry of law firms and big banks sells financial secrecy to politicians, fraudsters and drug traffickers as well as billionaires, celebrities and sports stars.

These are among the findings of a yearlong investigation by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung and more than 100 other news organizations.

The files expose offshore companies controlled by the prime ministers of Iceland and Pakistan, the king of Saudi Arabia and the children of the president of Azerbaijan.

They also include at least 33 people and companies blacklisted by the U.S. government because of evidence that they’d been involved in wrongdoing, such as doing business with Mexican drug lords, terrorist organizations like Hezbollah or rogue nations like North Korea and Iran.

One of those companies supplied fuel for the aircraft that the Syrian government used to bomb and kill thousands of its own citizens, U.S. authorities have charged.

“These findings show how deeply ingrained harmful practices and criminality are in the offshore world,” said Gabriel Zucman, an economist at the University of California, Berkeley and author of “The Hidden Wealth of Nations: The Scourge of Tax Havens.” Zucman, who was briefed on the media partners’ investigation, said the release of the leaked documents should prompt governments to seek “concrete sanctions” against jurisdictions and institutions that peddle offshore secrecy.

articles/00Overview/160403-overview-04.jpg
Chinese President Xi Jinping and British Prime Minister David Cameron. Photo: UK Government / Georgina Coupe
World leaders who have embraced anti-corruption platforms feature in the leaked documents. The files reveal offshore companies linked to the family of China’s top leader, Xi Jinping, who has vowed to fight “armies of corruption,” as well as Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, who has positioned himself as a reformer in a country shaken by corruption scandals. The files also contain new details of offshore dealings by the late father of British Prime Minister David Cameron, a leader in the push for tax-haven reform.

The leaked data covers nearly 40 years, from 1977 through the end of 2015. It allows a never-before-seen view inside the offshore world — providing a day-to-day, decade-by-decade look at how dark money flows through the global financial system, breeding crime and stripping national treasuries of tax revenues.

Most of the services the offshore industry provides are legal if used by the law abiding. But the documents show that banks, law firms and other offshore players have often failed to follow legal requirements that they make sure their clients are not involved in criminal enterprises, tax dodging or political corruption. In some instances, the files show, offshore middlemen have protected themselves and their clients by concealing suspect transactions or manipulating official records.

The documents make it clear that major banks are big drivers behind the creation of hard-to-trace companies in the British Virgin Islands, Panama and other offshore havens. The files list nearly 15,600 paper companies that banks set up for clients who want keep their finances under wraps, including thousands created by international giants UBS and HSBC.

The records reveal a pattern of covert maneuvers by banks, companies and people tied to Russian leader Putin. The records show offshore companies linked to this network moving money in transactions as large as $200 million at a time. Putin associates disguised payments, backdated documents and gained hidden influence within the country’s media and automotive industries, the leaked files show.

A Kremlin spokesman did not answer questions for this story, but instead went public March 28 with charges that ICIJ and its media partners were preparing a misleading “information attack” on Putin and people close to him.

The leaked records — which were reviewed by a team of more than 370 journalists from 76 countries — come from a little-known but powerful law firm based in Panama, Mossack Fonseca, that has branches in Hong Kong, Miami, Zurich and more than 35 other places around the globe.

The firm is one of the world’s top creators of shell companies, corporate structures that can be used to hide ownership of assets. The law firm’s leaked internal files contain information on 214,488 offshore entities connected to people in more than 200 countries and territories. ICIJ will release the full list of companies and people linked to them in early May.

The data includes emails, financial spreadsheets, passports and corporate records revealing the secret owners of bank accounts and companies in 21 offshore jurisdictions, from Nevada to Singapore to the British Virgin Islands.

articles/00Overview/160403-overview-05.jpg
Files show a number of luxury yachts bought and sold through offshore companies. Photo: Twiga269 / Flickr
Mossack Fonseca’s fingers are in Africa’s diamond trade, the international art market and other businesses that thrive on secrecy. The firm has serviced enough Middle East royalty to fill a palace. It’s helped two kings, Mohammed VI of Morocco and King Salman of Saudi Arabia, take to the sea on luxury yachts.

In Iceland, the leaked files show how Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson and his wife secretly owned an offshore firm that held millions of dollars in Icelandic bank bonds during that country’s financial crisis.

The files include a convicted money launderer who claimed he’d arranged a $50,000 illegal campaign contribution used to pay the Watergate burglars, 29 billionaires featured in Forbes Magazine’s list of the world’s 500 richest people and movie star Jackie Chan, who has at least six companies managed through the law firm.

Now, don't think that Everyone who has used such a device to protect their assets is a criminal. It depends on How they Got the money..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: The Papers
Reply #1 - 04/10/16 at 11:20:02

1000's of names on that list are folks who STOLE every dime of that money from the middle class through all kinds of schemes and backdoor dealings ... not a single dollars has been recouped ...

I've been following this story for ECON class. Our "professor" stated on Friday, for a whole f#@k!n6 hour lecture, that we should support the "rich" (his words) because they are the folks who have the money and "drive" the real economy with their investments and spending.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 04/10/16 at 11:34:06

Thieves use ladders. Not everyone who has a ladder is a thief.
I'd expect the majority of the people on the list are thieves. But just utilizing the method of hiding money doesn't necessarily mean that it was stolen. Do you think Jackie Chan stole his?

I Would like to see every Dollar investigated and sourced. If Stolen, returned to the rightful owners, NOT paid to a government in fines.

And one of the things that burns me up is
Financial institutions rip off billions
Get caught
Pay a few million in fines.
Everyone goes home rich, except the public.

It was absolutely legal for the broker to do a song and dance and explain why buying THAT stock was gonna be Great for your bottom line.
And, at the same time, they were shorting THAT stock..

Can you spell fraud? And the alleged News Channels? Tell us to our faces all about how hard they work to bring us the FACTS, while they Knowingly LIE.  

Aww, but don't listen to me,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 04/10/16 at 11:43:44

agreed Justin, not all who have money stole it ... the vast MAJORITY did ...

I'm not entirely sure of Jackie Chan and his money dealings

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 04/10/16 at 11:52:38

DesertRat wrote on 04/10/16 at 11:43:44:
agreed Justin, not all who have money stole it ... the vast MAJORITY did ...

I'm not entirely sure of Jackie Chan and his money dealings

Me neither. And, I don't Like him, but I have no reason to believe he is a criminal. Doesn't mean that he isn't.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 04/11/16 at 06:25:44

Who is responsible for releasing this information?  I have read a host of theories; although, not many seem to have a great deal of credibility?  Wha cha think?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 04/11/16 at 06:28:54

who released the data doesn't matter, in fact that is clearly a red herring tactic ...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 04/11/16 at 06:33:38

Well here in Florida Rick Scott is a perfect example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Scott
guess it is politics as usual Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/11/16 at 06:39:46

Ohh, who did it could be relevant. Depends on WHO did it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:25:03

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The Papers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.