Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Tire change disappointment (Read 751 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Tire change disappointment
Reply #75 - 04/14/16 at 20:50:42

Kris01 wrote on 04/14/16 at 19:30:11:
Hmmm, it's just jpegs!  Undecided

I installed an antivirus and scanned it. So far, it looks clean.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #76 - 04/15/16 at 04:26:28

I'm balancing the tire with the pulley on. Is that right?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #77 - 04/15/16 at 14:29:26

When I take mine to the dealer, I do not take my pulley with it. So for me, mine is balanced sans pulley.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #78 - 04/15/16 at 15:49:32

Oh, well, I balanced mine with the pulley. It makes sense to do so since it is part of the rotating assembly and will therefore affect balance. Hmmm... I wonder if I couldn't have used fewer weights by rotating the pulley and using it's natural imbalances to my advantage. Oh, well... too late now.

I got the tire on and went for a ride.  Smiley

So far, I am satisfied with the setup. The change in gearing from the 140/90 seems quite significant compared to that old 140/80 I took off. Now the engine bears down and takes it like a man  Cheesy instead of just winding up. There may indeed be a loss of acceleration. I guess the tradeoff is alright. In fifth gear, I seem to run out of throttle a little sooner at highway speeds. Of course, the speedo is behaving differently, so... Huh Clutch slipping under acceleration in 2nd seems more likely. Pulling out going uphill is more challenging, but then, they dumped fresh gravel lately, so maybe it's just the road's fault the thing tried to slide out from under me.

It took 70 grams, which is well over 2 ounces. That's quite a bit. It was still slightly off balance, but I reckon it's good enough. If I hadn't started truing the wheel partway into the balancing job, and if I had been better and more precise at hand balancing, I probably could have used a little less weight. I got the rear wheel acceptably true and pretty well balanced. That new $10 spoke wrench got some use today. Wink A good deal. Smiley

Stew, I just got to use the shim you sent me. I don't think it took out all the pulley misalignment, but I'd like to thank you. Smiley We'll see how much it helps when I get the alignment fine tuned. I got it roughly. I can't say it's perfect yet.

I think I may know what some of the problem with the front wheel is. It's a little out of balance and out of true, both off center and laterally. I think I managed to get the rear wheel a little more true than the front. (It was probably a little better anyway. Who knows.)

So far the new tire is more weebly than the other one. I take it that has to do with it's roundness as opposed to being flat.  Cheesy On the gravel, it felt a little funny. It seems that, with a round tire, the loose gravel levers the bike around, leaning and pushing the bike to and fro, affecting steering. On the other hand, the road surface is a little different.

On asphalt, it feels pretty good. On dirt, the ride is pretty good, perhaps a little better than the old one for the psi. After scrubbing them some, the tire feels rather soft and sticky. The old one could get sticky somewhat after running it awhile, but it was still hard. Big difference to the feel of the hands. the tire also flexes to the hand a bit. That old Metzler was hard as rock. It had a rough ride too. It was pretty good if you had less than 35 pounds in it, but a few pounds more, and it turns into a piece of concrete. Tongue

I can say that it has already made a funny wear pattern on one side. I only noticed it after the last leg of my test run. Maybe it had something to do with spinning gravel. Undecided Hard to describe it... cobwebs??? Anyone have a clue what I'm trying to describe? I hope I don't wear it out before 3k miles. Undecided Maybe I should have broken it in easier. Or maybe I'm worrying about nothing. That soft rubber sure is fragile. Undecided

For my uses, I'm not sure I'll need much taller gearing. There's a difference between a 150 lb flatlander and a 200+lb hillclimber. I still like to be able to get up and go. I might try a little higher gearing with the chain drive, but I can't say I need it. This setup gives a good balance.

So far I don't have any rubbing problems, although it's pretty tight in there. The bike looks more like a bike now than a chopper with its stance higher. I like being able to lean without as much risk of scraping things. Scraping things causes me to panic.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #79 - 04/15/16 at 17:35:25

I took another test run through some tight twisties, and I have to say that I'm even more confident of the gearing change than I was before. 2nd gear is now great for those hairpin turns, and third is great too for the twisties. Interestingly, gearing up may have helped these hp/torque intensive things. Acceleration is great too. Things are smooth. Has a nice smooth feel. I wouldn't count out the chain conversion yet.

I can say one thing. It's either or both the tire and that loose gravel that's become troublesome. I'm having a time keeping the bike upright in that stuff. Downshifted from third to second in a curve (maybe too far into the curve Undecided A no-no, yes?), and I felt my rear end sink like she was trying to go down. Wasn't jerky with the clutch. I may do well to let a couple psi out of that new tire.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #80 - 04/16/16 at 08:25:53

Downshifting, braking, both use traction. The tire gives you a budget. Spend it however you like. BUT, if the traction is being spent on cornering forces and you decide to spend some more traction by slowing down or accelerating, and you exceed the tires abilities to grab, down you go.
The video someone posted about a week ago was all about this. I remember what it said, why, etc, but the title escapes me.
The cornering bible? Anyway, gently accelerating through a corner keeps the bikes suspension working for you. The gear should be chosen, braking accomplished if not before the curve, at least very early in.
I should watch that video again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #81 - 04/16/16 at 09:07:54

Twist of the Wrist  Part 2

That's it, right?

Good stuff.

Yeah, that loose gravel is tricky. It's pretty bad stuff. Hard pack is awesome, but that loose stuff. Undecided

Yeah, I know decelerating at that point was a potentially bad move. Roll Eyes Maybe it will make a better rider out of me. I met a girl once who had been riding her metric cruiser (bigger than a Savage) for 6 months. She wouldn't take it on the slab, she wouldn't take it on gravel....

Well, gollleeee!!! Tongue If I didn't take mine through gravel, I wouldn't get out of the house! Grin Tongue Roll Eyes.

Newbies... and their attempts at "safety"... Roll Eyes Hey, I reckon you're safer on the slab than on the back roads, and that's where I met her. What's worse... Her bike was better for the slab than mine is. What's wrong with these people!?

Hey kids, don't listen to everything the MSF tells you. Seems like they encouraged us to lean lean lean. You know, when the encourage you to "just lean more" (not sure that was exactly it) in response to taking a curve wide or something. Well, what they don't adequately explain is warning you about how tricky it is. Thank You, MSF, for my first lowside crash. Wink Tongue

Okay, maybe it was partly my fault.... Undecided Undecided Undecided But I don't think they helped the situation much. Undecided

Shoot! it took me till after the course to discover countersteering! Now that's kinda interesting. Huh It's like they kinda sorta go over it.... right over my head and out the door. The biggest thing they beat into your head was Slow, Lean, Press, and Roll. I still didn't get the press part. It's like they don't think, "Hey! Lookie here! Steering a bike is so crazy complicated and awesome! It's actually backwards from steering a car! Here's how it works! Isn't it so cool!" Uhh... nope... It didn't seem to go that way. Maybe the class could have been done better. I had the hardest time understanding how to do the track exercises. I'd get confused on what I was supposed to do and the placement of all those little cones are confusing. My major loss in points for the riding exam was crossing the boundary for not knowing where I was going. Undecided I don't remember exactly, but I may have had a perfect score (or a really good one) if I had not done that.  I'd have been PISSED if I had actually failed that class over something so dumb! Angry

I think it actually took the Twist of the Wrist video to understand countersteering. I think that class just emphasized the "lean vs turn the bars" idea. Pathetic! That's a recipe for disaster, isn't it?

Those MSF teachers like to brag about never crashing or dropping their bikes. Tongue However, I keep getting the feeling that one of them confessed to wrecking while he was learning a long time ago. Maybe he didn't. Who knows. Supposedly his major accomplishment was embarrasing himself once after dropping his bike once-- I said once.

After having been in the biking world for a little while, I have been getting the suspicion that people seem to do everything they possibly can to cover up and lie about their history of motorcycle wrecks because they don't want to compromise their big ego. "Hey look at me! I'm a big shot motorcyclist, and I've never wrecked!"

You know... Maybe these big shots ought to have wrecked... Then maybe they'll know what they're talking about. Tongue Honestly, I'd rather learn from a racer who's wrecked or came near wrecking time and time again and intimately knows how bike physics works than some supposed saftey nazi. The MSF should hire people who ride their bikes for sport, so they know what can go wrong.

My Dad is going to take his class at the Harley dealership. We'll see if they do any better.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #82 - 04/16/16 at 09:28:54

I read in another forum, by the way, that the MSF watered down their classes. Maybe that explains my complaints.

...Or, I'm just dumb as a brick... Undecided

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #83 - 04/16/16 at 09:40:21

Got a co-worker that used to ride. Supposedly never dropped his bike or anything. Then, later, he talked about having trouble with a wasp or something and bailing the bike at 30 mph. Supposedly he planted his feet into the ground with dignity at 30 mph. Yeah... right...

Just trying to keep up his ego...

That's a major example of why I suspect bikers have more wrecks, drops, get-offs, and crashes than they are willing to let on.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #84 - 04/16/16 at 10:26:48

whoa now little man ... WATERED DOWN MY A$$ ... I think your talking $#1t now ...

I've been riding on two, 3 and 4 wheels since I was a kid. dirt bikes, ATC's, dune buggies, mud boggin' vehicles, etc. sand dunes, dirt, gravel, cement, asphalt, mud and swamps.

I took the MSF course over 3 days in +100°F  Arizona weather. The instructors, husband and wife team, were f#@k!ng drill sergeants. They did not play. EVERYTHING was by the book. We had MULTIPLE people fail the course and crash bikes at speed. Others QUIT after the first day.

... WATERED DOWN MY A$$ ...  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 04/16/16 at 12:18:37 by DesertRat »  

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #85 - 04/16/16 at 12:17:32

When did you take the course?

I do remember reading something about that. Don't have a link. The best account I've found so far is this. http://ask.metafilter.com/77759/Stop-touching-that-brake (near the bottom of the page)

Maybe I'm just throwing around excuses. Undecided What do I know? Maybe it's all my fault. Undecided Trying to be honest.  Undecided

My experience on the course was much different than yours. Huh

But, hey, if you don't want to talk about it, we don't have to. I've caused enough trouble today.

Later tonght I may see if I can find some more accounts of this rumor. We'll see how much there is to it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tire change disappointing
Reply #86 - 04/16/16 at 13:51:45

One curve I played with often over the years I noticed that the exit speed could be higher with less peg dragging by getting further off the bike, leaving It leaned less.
The problem with that is, IF it suddenly Gets Loose, I couldn't drop my body and raise the bikes angle.
FWIW,  I did get some dirt riding experience and I was very much crazy on a ten speed. Riding a sidewalk around a pond I saw Two lines on the cement in a corner on the second lap. Conclusion? Drifting the turn... I learned a lot on that bicycle. The taste and feel of asphalt, and what slides feel like and how to recover.
Keeping the body ready to raise the bars by dropping the torso down into the turn IS a possibility. I've done it. It's also possibly the first step in a high side, so,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 04/16/16 at 16:25:25

A radical desperation move I saw done once successfully was when the muffler bracket dragging threatened to become a pivot (ie low side) Toymaker yanked UP on the handlebars HARD, literally pivoting the rear tire back down into good engagement with the pavement --- spoiled his line and threw him abruptly over the yellow line, but it was better than going down.

That was a good thing because I was in Al's truck at the time about 15-20 feet off his bumper.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #88 - 04/22/16 at 08:27:13

Um, cheap, the MSF course DID teach you countersteering, wtf do you think 'press' means?
you press with the left hand to turn left, pres with the rightn hand to turn right
That's press the bar with your hand
that's 'countersteering'
the MSF doesn't call it that because it confuses people
Apparently you weren't paying attention that day
Probably you were trying to refute the instructors  Grin
here it is in writing
http://www.ridingsafety.com/prep/html/tech3.html
capish?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #89 - 04/22/16 at 18:04:42

Yeah.... Roll Eyes It just didn't seem to sink into my thick skull. Roll Eyes

I guess my point was that they didn't go through some lengthy exposition of the concept like Twist of the Wrist does. Undecided Who would figure out that you steer a motorcycle backwards? There's some pretty cool things to talk about here that they don't seem to talk much about.

Did the MSF explain stuff like Twist of the Wrist does? Did the MSF ever tell you the reason to lean your body and not just the bike? Bad things can happen when you don't lean well.

"[T]he MSF doesn't call it that because it confuses people."

Well, maybe that explains it a little. They don't tell you how it works. They just tell you to do it. Doesn't work for everyone all the time it seems. Huh

Wouldn't students have been more satisfied if they had talked about all this cool stuff instead of bread and water, metaphorically speaking? Might take longer...more for the money.... Wink

Maybe it's just me...

"Probably you were trying to refute the instructors  Grin"

Hmmm.... Art... You're catching on to my style. Grin

It would have been useful if I had made a big argument about that... Maybe then I would have paid better attention to it. Hey, maybe the others would have learned something had I squeezed some discussion out of the instructors on countersteering.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:38:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tire change disappointment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.