Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Tire change disappointment (Read 751 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tire change disappointment
Reply #60 - 04/12/16 at 17:13:50

When the guys did the backhoe tire they reached into what looked like grease, but it is actually a soap.
Might stop by and see if the guys at a tire shop would let you have some. Not just any tire shop,but someone who handles big truck tires and tractor tires. The Cagerville Tire Store ain't gonna have it.
If you're gonna use dish soap, don't use water, and rubbing some ivory soap on, like lubricating a drawer, would be a start.
You could mash up the soap and make mush with water. Just enough water to make it so it squeezes out of your hand like mud. So it stays where you put it.
Probably best to not get much inside.
Better still, have it done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #61 - 04/12/16 at 17:22:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/12/16 at 17:13:50:
When the guys did the backhoe tire they reached into what looked like grease, but it is actually a soap.
Might stop by and see if the guys at a tire shop would let you have some. Not just any tire shop,but someone who handles big truck tires and tractor tires. The Cagerville Tire Store ain't gonna have it.
If you're gonna use dish soap, don't use water, and rubbing some ivory soap on, like lubricating a drawer, would be a start.
You could mash up the soap and make mush with water. Just enough water to make it so it squeezes out of your hand like mud. So it stays where you put it.
Probably best to not get much inside.
Better still, have it done.

Thanks for the advice, Justin. I might go to town and get some at an auto shop I have in mind to pick up some acetone anyway for that stuck exhaust bolt.

The armor all sounds like a good idea, though. Might try that if nothing else.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #62 - 04/13/16 at 08:50:37

cheapnewb24 wrote on 04/12/16 at 10:43:49:
But... If something like that had been told to you, (amongst all the other alternatives) would you have understood its importance if it had not been explained to you.

If someone tells you to eat candy, and then another tells you to eat broccoli, and you don't immediately understand that broccoli is much better for you than candy, and candy is easier to get than broccoli, aren't you gonna forget about broccoli and eat candy? Huh

Or are you gonna remember about broccoli even though you eat the candy? Huh Is that what you're saying?

You're still not going to understand why you should eat broccoli and not candy.  HuhRoll Eyes

...Unless you happen to figure it out. Huh

I'm starting to understand
You are afflicted with Must Have The Last Worditis  Grin
my post didn't really require a rebuttal, as you learn, you'll look back and laugh about this stuff
and yes, some thing you have to learn for yourself
and i still like Snickers better than broccoli  Tongue
(Maybe I have MHTLWitis, too  Grin

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #63 - 04/13/16 at 18:17:26

last word

Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #64 - 04/13/16 at 22:23:29

Nope..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #65 - 04/14/16 at 07:05:48

lol

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #66 - 04/14/16 at 09:58:25

I like broccoli. Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #67 - 04/14/16 at 11:33:40

I was cruising through a new Harbor Freight store yesterday in Muskogee OK, and what did I find ?
I'm glad you asked.
I found a manual tire changer; the kind the real mech's used at the shop when you used to get a new tire.
And then what did I see ?
I'm glad you asked.  Smiley
I found a motorcycle tire changing attachment for the aforementioned tire changer.
How much did it cost you asked ?
I'm glad you asked.   Grin
The set cost about $85.  
Oh yea.   Wink   Cool

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #68 - 04/14/16 at 11:46:51

Lancer you lucky SOB ... great find ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #69 - 04/14/16 at 18:32:40

Okay, well, I got the tire mounted and have been trying to balance it.

Those cheap tire irons where quite helpful and RU-Glyde probably helped too. The hardest thing was getting the valve up in the rim. I didn't want to take the tube outside and get it dirty and go through the trouble of pumping it up, so I put some air in the tube in order to keep its shape and prevent pinching in the most primitive dumbfounding way one can thing of:

I put my lips on it with the core removed and blew it up like a balloon.  Grin Shocked Tongue

Now Mom and Dad wanted to interfere. They threw a fit about this. They didn't think I should pump it up before I got it into the tire. (Technically, it might have been better to blow it up after getting the tube in the tire but... anyway....). Dad tried to let the air out. I had to blow it back in. Roll Eyes Then, as I worked with it, I had to let some of it out. Roll Eyes Not easy to get the valve in with air in it.

Dad tried to help me mount the tire. He started helping.... And I ran him off. (well, to his recliner a few feet away  Grin) Angry When it comes to brain surgery, I'd rather do it myself.  ...and I did.

I pumped it up and removed the core a couple times. I think it's properly seated. I hope. The last time, I got it a few pounds over 40 psi. I think that's enough. Then I pumped it up to 37-38 psi. I just checked it, and it's closer to 36. I hope it's not leaking.  Undecided I hope it's just temp changes and air loss from using the gauge.

Before working on the tire, I worked on getting that sagging fender tightened up. I used some of that acetone-ATF mix that JOG recommended. One of the bolts was broken, so I used channellocks and had to drill it a bit to get it loose. Put new bolts in and found some washers. Works great.

I put the wheel on the bike partially (without the brake assembly) in order to balance the tire. I am guessing the old tire used more than an ounce, and I've already put up around 1-3/4 ounces (50 grams). It's still not quite there yet, so I'll probably have to do upwards of 2 ounces. I hope that doesn't point to a problem. I am using cheap 5 gram iron stick on weights. They are bulky, so I have to cut them apart and set them sideways on the rim. I weight both sides of the rim. I wipe the rim with acetone.

I didn't get the red dot aligned with the valve. I tried to initially, but by the time I got the tire mounted, it moved a bit. That probably won't help the balance, but I don't think it would cause this much trouble.

I am worried about fender clearance, as it's pretty tight on the brake side. I might have trouble. Sad Undecided

Any comments?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #70 - 04/14/16 at 19:13:38

I'm a little worried about the amount of weight I'm having to use and whether it has something to do with the spokes. I mentioned it here. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1460275137/15#15.

When I took the wheel off, I lost track of what went where, but I think I've got everything straightened out. I looked at the book, and I noticed that there is a spacer that goes between the wheel bearings. I am unclear as to whether it's there or not. I'm pretty sure that it was the PO's fault (or his mechanic) if there was something missing. Perhaps it's there, and I just didn't notice it because I never removed any of the wheel bearings. From looking at the book and remembering how I removed the axle, I think the PO (or mechanic) put in the axle backwards. I doubt that matters very much. I think the big spacer goes on the pulley side, right?

Any comments on the contents of these two posts? I'd like to know if there's something I should worry about. Undecided I'm slightly concerned. Undecided

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #71 - 04/14/16 at 19:15:44

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199986392

There's a pic of the axle for future reference. It DOES make a difference!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #72 - 04/14/16 at 19:27:26

Thanks. I'll see to it. I downloaded it months ago while running Windows, and right after that I had trouble with a supposed virus. From what I gather, the problem was supposed to be some other file that was there for a long time, but the correlation caused me to stay away from the companion CD. Undecided

That problem (Oldfeller would probably say it's just Microsoft screwing with me.) is the very reason I haven't touched my Windows partition in months.

I guess I'm just afraid of the monster under the bed. Grin
Maybe I can run one of those online scans on it.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #73 - 04/14/16 at 19:30:11

Hmmm, it's just jpegs!  Undecided

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #74 - 04/14/16 at 20:09:59

Organization during disassembly can't be over emphasized.
I make drawings, or number thing, maybe take the axle and put parts on it in the proper order. I have red, black and silver sharpies, masking tape , paper, baggies,
Fixing stuff is hard enough, no need to leave myself a head scratcher..too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:55:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tire change disappointment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.