Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Tire change disappointment (Read 751 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Tire change disappointment
Reply #45 - 04/10/16 at 20:51:25

On a trail ride one day with some mates. One of the guys got a flat. Prying away with his cheapo tyre levers, the tip of the lever snapped off, sending the lever and his fist into his own face, knocking 2 teeth out. Your call and do what you like. Right tool for the right job I say (I realise I said I wouldn't get involved anymore but here I am).
Couple of topical videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwrijgO8ns#t=191.461
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVViJZ640yM

gizzo out.

« Last Edit: 04/11/16 at 04:47:23 by gizzo »  
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #46 - 04/11/16 at 19:23:13

Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents.  

I'm in favor of DIY tire changes, I think with practice most people can do it

You can't really expect to do it with a screwdriver.

I got a fairly cheap set of 3 tire irons (I guess $15-$20).  They seem to do the job.
 e.g.      http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools/motorcycle-tools/motorcycle-tire-repa...

(These might be the ones I got, if not something similar.)

I have changed all my own tires since I got the bike in 07.  That was my first tire change other than bicycle.  

+1 on a big piece of corrugated cardboard under you
+1 on dish soap for lube

I feel pretty ok about patching a tube.

I usually pinched holes in them and had to re-do for the first couple changes.  If I had a new tube, I'd use it, but if not I'd patch.  

I think I put 3 patches on one tube; I KNOW i've had 2 patches on a tube.  Never had a problem. 

I follow the directions on the patch kit, after it sets, pump it up pretty fat and check for leaks with soapy water; it'll bubble up if there's a leak - you can't miss it.  

If you don't check your tire pressure regularly, at least do so for a few days after changing.  

I line the valve stem up with the dot on the tire, seems to work ok.  If it's unbalanced, it's  not enough I can tell.

(I'm going to have to look into that rubber mallet method mentioned above, I know nothing about that...)

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #47 - 04/11/16 at 19:24:24

Smileygeez, I go away for the winter, and they put a kitten where my nice gadsden flag was???

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #48 - 04/11/16 at 20:03:03

Here's an old boy doing it. He did it really well. It's not always that easy. But you will never pinch a tube that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1su9riLkc

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #49 - 04/11/16 at 21:45:11

Well, guys, I bought some tools and a tube from Motorcycle Superstore early today (or yesterday, depending on your time and interpretation of "day")

I bought a 3 pack of cheap Bike Master levers, another IRC tube, a 60 pack of 5 gram stick on weights, 2 pair of cheap rim protectors, valve core tool, and a spoke wrench to have laying around just in case. Keep in mind that some of this stuff is also to change my Dad's tires. They are tubeless alloy rims. I reckon he is paying for it, for reasons y'all can rather easily guess. Grin

I've been reading that alloy rims don't like soapy water for lube, and rubber doesn't like petroleum products. Or was it just oil? Do I need to buy bead lube?

Is 5 gram the best size, or does anyone prefer the little 2.5 gram ones?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #50 - 04/11/16 at 21:47:29

My tire irons:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44563/i/bikemaster-tire-iron-3-pc-set

I don't think they are the ones in the first picture. Look at the others.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #51 - 04/11/16 at 22:01:49

Kenny

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it   Embarrassed

but some times ya just have to read the instructions .    

I always put a new tube in when I get a new tire - I suspect the tube/tire surfaces rub each other somewhat  as the tire flexes .   Well I don't use my rear brake for slowing down and that means rear tires last a long, long time.  The Michelin commander II that I just replaced had about 24,000 miles on it.  That is a long time for the tube/tire connection to be rubbing on each other  .   So you see I don't mind getting a new tube.  This last time I kinda "Screwed-up" and got a strait valve tube  Tongue.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #52 - 04/11/16 at 22:06:48

Take a look at this.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/blogs/richard/an-easy-way-to-ruin-your-tire...

We've got an old bottle of Armor All. Maybe that will do the trick. Smiley

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #53 - 04/11/16 at 22:26:18

seriously? back several pages, a poster recommended using armor all already ...  Roll Eyes

STOP being a stubborn teen and follow the advice that we old a$$ geezers have provided FREE of charge ... and git ur a$$ to work changing the tires ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #54 - 04/11/16 at 22:41:49

cheapnewb24 wrote on 04/09/16 at 21:42:30:
badwolf wrote on 04/09/16 at 21:17:36:
A old guy secret = use Armor All all over the bead of the old and new tire, inside and out. It helps it slide over the rim much easier.  And talcum powder on the tube and inside of the tire so the tube can shift around easier. Blow it up to pressure, then deflate it, bounce it around LIGHTLY then blow it up for keeps. That helps get rid of folds or stresses tween the tube and tire.

I used some of my Mom's powder (I assume it is largely talc/cornstarch.) for the tube/body of the tire. I also used a spray bottle of Ajax dishsoap mixed with water for the beads.

Grin Oops! Roll Eyes Embarrassed

Good grief, I even replied to his post.  Grin

Yeah, I'm not a very good listener, and I'm stubborn. My annoying ways of communicating appear to extend to both written and spoken communication.

By the way, I'm not technically a teen, but maybe if everyone thinks I'm young, that's a sign I'll stay young. Grin

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #55 - 04/11/16 at 22:45:43

I think I know what happened. I used something else as a lube, and let the Armor-All slip my mind a bit. Now that I know it has a special significance, I'll remember it.

Sometimes the old fellas will give you a little tip, but it'll pass by because you don't fully understand and appreciate it's significance.

Now don't we all do that sometimes? Perhaps I'm just more vulnerable to it. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #56 - 04/12/16 at 06:31:03

cheapnewb24 wrote on 04/11/16 at 22:45:43:
Sometimes the old fellas will give you a little tip, but it'll pass by because you don't fully understand and appreciate it's significance.

Now don't we all do that sometimes? Perhaps I'm just more vulnerable to it. Roll Eyes

You get past that eventually
the older I get the smarter my Dad was
I figure by the time I reach his age at death I might be almost as smart as he was

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #57 - 04/12/16 at 10:43:49

But... If something like that had been told to you, (amongst all the other alternatives) would you have understood its importance if it had not been explained to you.

If someone tells you to eat candy, and then another tells you to eat broccoli, and you don't immediately understand that broccoli is much better for you than candy, and candy is easier to get than broccoli, aren't you gonna forget about broccoli and eat candy? Huh

Or are you gonna remember about broccoli even though you eat the candy? Huh Is that what you're saying?

You're still not going to understand why you should eat broccoli and not candy.  HuhRoll Eyes

...Unless you happen to figure it out. Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #58 - 04/12/16 at 12:11:30

What did you use?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #59 - 04/12/16 at 16:46:30

Dish soap and water.

I'll probably use armor all for Dad's rims, though. Might just try it for mine as well.

Sounds like you're not reading my posts now. Ha... Ha...  Tongue

Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:08:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tire change disappointment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.