Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Tire change disappointment (Read 751 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tire change disappointment
Reply #15 - 04/09/16 at 22:50:04

I do a lot of work myself... on my house, car, bikes, guitars, amps, computers...
...but I pay for tire installs...  
It's possible to DIY tires... and I used to do it for years on my dirt bikes...
But the new tubeless tires are just more than I want to wrestle...
Sometimes spending $20 or $30 saves $50 or $60... and a lot of BSaT's...

That''s Blood, Sweat, and Tears... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #16 - 04/10/16 at 01:04:59

I can usually whack a motorcycle tyre onto the rim with a rubber mallet. Saves any risk of pinching the tube. Like they said, use lube of some sort. Old brake fluid is my go to. I'd be patching the tube. Nothing wrong with that. In the end, cruiser tyres can be a real biatch and some of them really can't be done without a tyre fitting machine. They're much more difficult than a dirt bike. So, don't feel too bad it kicked your ass. Better luck next time. get some nice tyre levers, a rubber mallet and have another go. maybe leave the tube out for a trial run?
When I'm getting new tyres these days, I usually take the wheel down the shop and have them do it. It's easier that way.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #17 - 04/10/16 at 08:49:59

Dad said there were four holes. That means four patches. Is it worth the risk and effort to play with so many patches, especially when I need to buy some good tire spoons anyway?

Should I experience a flat tire on the road? Interesting experience, I am sure. How many here have had a flat/blowout on the road and wrecked?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 04/10/16 at 08:51:12

no

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #19 - 04/10/16 at 09:07:26

I guess I should buy some round, wide lip spoons especially suited to bike tires with tubes
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44698/i/bikemaster-tire-iron-spoon

These seem to be a good deal for just holding the tire in place, but not everybody likes them for leverage as they are short. Otherwise, they are great. There is a version of these with a handle for a dollar more. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44706/i/bikemaster-steel-tire-iron-with-...They might be a bit longer and more comfortable. I wonder if that's worth it. The cheaper one might be more durable. Undecided

Do you think I could do the rear tire with a bunch of short spoons? I reckon it is recommended to have three. Should I get two short ones and one long one? Two or three long ones?

If i need something to hold the tire, I recall using the blunt end of a bent crescent wrench yesterday. I think Dad came up with that one. At least that one didn't pinch the tube.

Here's the long tire spoon I'm talking about.
http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools/motorcycle-tools/motorcycle-tire-repa...

A lot of people seem to like that tire spoon. It seems like Bikemaster is an el-cheapo brand, but maybe the make some alright stuff? Anybody bought that brand before?

Anybody bought their inner tubes? I'm not too confident of their reviews. Mostly okay, but some make me wonder. They do have a size that fits both 130/90-15 and 140/90-15. That's not very easy to find.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 04/10/16 at 09:23:30

Have you even read my posts?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #21 - 04/10/16 at 09:49:15

dude ... seriously ... STOP ... SLOW THE F#cK DOWN

WATCH ALL THE VIDEOS POSTED IN THIS THREAD

you can get a set of 3 spoons for less than $30 US on AMAZON ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 04/10/16 at 09:59:03

I don't know what replies he reads, but it doesn't look like he's reading mine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #23 - 04/10/16 at 10:25:59

not sure he's "understanding" any of the posts ...

not even sure he understands the value of all the knowledge being presented here ...  Huh

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #24 - 04/10/16 at 10:27:06

Whoa!

Hold on a minute....

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #25 - 04/10/16 at 10:27:25

Serowbot wrote on 04/09/16 at 22:50:04:
I do a lot of work myself... on my house, car, bikes, guitars, amps, computers...
...but I pay for tire installs...  
It's possible to DIY tires... and I used to do it for years on my dirt bikes...
But the new tubeless tires are just more than I want to wrestle...
Sometimes spending $20 or $30 saves $50 or $60... and a lot of BSaT's...

That''s Blood, Sweat, and Tears... Grin

at this juncture ... BEST ADVICE EVER ...

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #26 - 04/10/16 at 10:47:58

Desert Rat, the link you gave me is just a video from Motorcycle Superstore on how to change a dirtbike tire using Motion Pro spoons. The ones I mentioned are like those, but cheaper. I don't know which 3 pack you're talking about. I might have seen it. I was looking for the wide, round spoon shaped ones that aren't supposed to pinch the tube.

Is this what you're talking about? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44563/i/bikemaster-tire-iron-3-pc-set

Justin, you were suggesting that I patch the tire if it's ideal and have the tire professionally mounted no matter what? I think I am understanding better now. Undecided

As much as I've already fought with that tire, depending on how quickly and easily I can get a good tube and hire it to be mounted compared to how quickly and easily I can get the tools and do it myself, I'm not sure if it's worth paying someone to do it. I had the price quoted to me before, and I think one place wanted $50 to have an Internet tire installed. I don't know what they want just for simply mounting the tire on the prepared rim. I'll have to ask. Still, it means I am defeated. All that fighting just to lose? As much as we've already fought with it, it might not take long for me to get it done. Besides, I've got both of my Dad's tires sitting in the truck, waiting to be installed. Albeit, they are for cast rims, which means they're tubeless. They might be a little easier. I'll probably need rim protectors, though, since they're alloy. (I just thought of it.)

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #27 - 04/10/16 at 10:58:43

What kind of tire irons do you guys recommend? The 3 pack is nice and cheap, but I'm tempted to go with the more expensive wide-spoon-shaped design. Rim protectors??? Other tools???

How much do shops usually charge to mount an Internet tire on a clean rim?

I've failed so far on both my tires, front and rear. Hiring it done will only make my failure complete, especially if we hire Dad's tires done. I'm tempted to wait, get the tools, and do it myself for the sake of it.

In fact, the thought has crossed my mind to get more than one tube.

Just imagine: Buy three tubes... pinch one... yank it out, say something angry, throw it across the yard wildly, put in another.... pinch it... rinse...repeat....

Crazy, huh? Roll Eyes The things frustration will do to ya... Roll Eyes

A spare would be a good precaution, though. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 04/10/16 at 11:26:08

You asked for advice. Good luck.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #29 - 04/10/16 at 11:40:34

Justin, you mentioned about sidewall vs bottom patching. What about the top (center) of the tube (near the rim)? These holes seem to be against the rim or upper sidewall at most. Dad patched 4 holes with 3 patches. They are all in one area of the tube. He suggested that I use the patched tube if I am determined to do it myself. I am not extremely confident in his patch job.  Undecided

My Dad is trying to get me to have it mounted at the shop. He still hasn't quite convinced me.  Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:07:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tire change disappointment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.