Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Tire change disappointment (Read 751 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Tire change disappointment
04/09/16 at 20:13:05

Tried to put on my Shinko 712 rear this evening. I'll save the details, save to say that I can't get the tire to take air. I assume either me or my dad pinched the tube. This is the second tube I have ruined. The first was the old tube for the front. Blamed it on the old tube.

I have yet successfully mount a motorcycle tire. Some people might shake it off, but not me. I have a minimum wage job, and I'm not even good at that. Wanted to work on bikes maybe, but seems like I am not even worth $7.25 an hour if it takes me several hours just to ruin a tube. How much pain does it take to get good at something? How much pain does it take to get discouraged and quit? My life seems more the latter than the former.

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Is it okay to patch the tube? I don't want to have to wait a week to get another one.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Tire change disappointment
Reply #1 - 04/09/16 at 20:25:01

IMHO for SAFETY SAKE, DO NOT PATCH IT ...
buy new and live to ride another day ...

Just my 0.00001₵

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 04/09/16 at 20:41:30

He took the tube out, and I found that there are at least three holes in the tube. I have a suspicion that I was not the one that made those holes.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 04/09/16 at 20:49:47

I hope you weren't trying to do it with screwdrivers! If you were you got what you were asking for.
Get yourself 2 good 16" tire levers and the job will become MUCH easier. I know when your young your resources are limited,  but good tools will last you all your life. I'm 63 and I still use a metric socket set my dad gave me for my 15th birthday. When I read about guys paying a shop $40 to change a m/c tire, I look at my 2 $12 tire irons and just shake my head.

Oh yea, the guys that ride the ISDT can change a tire in 3.5 minutes! Yes THREE AND A HALF MINUTES! In the field, not in a shop. That includes taking the wheel off, and putting it back on. A rolling stop to starting and going again!
THOSE GUYS ARE GOOD!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/09/16 at 20:54:31

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 04/09/16 at 20:57:43

4 holes.

At least I get to blame him for it. Comforting.

I have a couple tire irons, but one of them was dug out of the ground, rough and rusty.  The other one is made for a certain little tire breaking rig.

Dad seemed to be the one using the screwdriver or screwdriver-like prybar the most. At least one or more of the cut marks points to a screwdriver-like tool.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/09/16 at 21:00:59

Dude, I'm not going to sugar coat anything here.
I'm a pretty good mechanic. I've solved problems in the oilfield. I designed a tool that worked after engineers tried Twice, and failed. I have a shop and Probably better tools for the tire. I actually bought the real tools. Not screwdrivers and crescent wrenches. I got hurt fighting the back tire, but I got it. But I would not even consider it again. The front, okay, not so bad, but the back is horrible.
That is why they have a machine..

I can't SEE the tube. I don't know the difference between the rubber It's made of and the ones I patched, lo those many years ago. Can't AFFORD to do it all once. Sure thing you don't need to be having a flat,because the patch leaked. If it needs patched on the surface that would be on  rroad, and it's not too big or a tear, patch it. But think. CLEAN,  scuff, CLEAN, but a patch on the sidewall area, naah, I wouldn't. Just the area that would be on the road.. and that's iffy.

What's the minimum wage job you're not good at? I was horrible at Dairy Queen. Old dude, didn't wanna hurt my feelings by firing me. He could see that I was a willing, hard working kid.. I just didn't belong THERE.  Not everyone can do every minimum wage job. Just because it's minimum wage doesn't mean that it's for everyone. Maybe you should walk in a little shop, shoot the bull with the owner, and while you're talking, grab a broom, sweep up. That's how I got hired by a blacksmith who was known for working alone.. Didn't last long, but I sure liked it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 04/09/16 at 21:09:04

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #8 - 04/09/16 at 21:17:36

A old guy secret = use Armor All all over the bead of the old and new tire, inside and out. It helps it slide over the rim much easier.  And talcum powder on the tube and inside of the tire so the tube can shift around easier. Blow it up to pressure, then deflate it, bounce it around LIGHTLY then blow it up for keeps. That helps get rid of folds or stresses tween the tube and tire.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/09/16 at 21:34:52

1 X $30.00

If you don't ALREADY have at least three, genuine tire tools, don't try again and don't spend money on the tools.
If the tube will patch, safely, and you're CONFIDENT that the patch will be dependable,, do it, and get it installed. If you don't have the tools, and, you didn't say much about HOW you guys went at it..

Patching, done by someone who has done it, I would be good with. I wouldn't want someone I know just started patching my tube. I took the backhoe tire to the tire shop I know to get it finished. I had the patch , and the grinder on my die grinder. I had shaped and worked it quite well. They were impressed.
Then, he started Scraping. I didn't even KNOW that step was Needed. I helped them, we all wrestled with it. Had a great time. And they charged me twenty bucks.
Knowing when to just Pay someone has been hard to learn.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 04/09/16 at 21:37:52

Thanks for what you said (I can't find the proper words tonight Grin).

My Dad used to be pretty good mechanic as well. His work was in the the coal mines. He had to deal with a lot of dangerous electricity. He had to take some training from time to time. He doesn't even have a high school diploma, and even he out-designed an engineer once.  Grin Speaks a lot for engineers, huh. Grin (Not demeaning your own accomplishments, by the way Wink.)

For as much as I fought with that rear tire, you suggest that I put up a pretty good fight? My biggest problem was that I kept getting dirt in there. How many here wouldn't cuss if every time he got the tire two-third's on only to see a little pebble or pinch of dirt fall in the tire? You know what that means.... Back off the bead; take out the tube; make sure everything's clean; put it back.... Fight some more... Angry

After a couple times, I got smart, and brought it inside. Then someone else got a hold of it. Roll Eyes I insisted that I get it clean and prepped. Eventually, he helped me mount it, and it went on pretty easily--- too easily--- it was jinxed.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 04/09/16 at 21:42:30

badwolf wrote on 04/09/16 at 21:17:36:
A old guy secret = use Armor All all over the bead of the old and new tire, inside and out. It helps it slide over the rim much easier.  And talcum powder on the tube and inside of the tire so the tube can shift around easier. Blow it up to pressure, then deflate it, bounce it around LIGHTLY then blow it up for keeps. That helps get rid of folds or stresses tween the tube and tire.

I used some of my Mom's powder (I assume it is largely talc/cornstarch.) for the tube/body of the tire. I also used a spray bottle of Ajax dishsoap mixed with water for the beads.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/09/16 at 21:52:58

I'm getting frustrated.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 04/09/16 at 22:05:11

Whaaaa!!! Shocked

Frustrated???

Sympathizing? Or does something in this thread bother you? Grin

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 04/09/16 at 22:06:51

I'm guessing the former?

Anyway, the shops may charge too much since it's an Internet tire.

I assume it's best to get some of the wide spoons similar to those Motion-Pro spoons?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:23:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tire change disappointment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.