Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
86 savage throwing flames with harley dyna exhaust (Read 204 times)
RayRay88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

86 savage throwing flames with harley dyna exhaust
04/09/16 at 18:35:15

Hey guys, i just installed a harley dyna 'wide glide' muffler on the savage.... it sounds badass... and it throws flames... so thats badass too right?!? My concern is the fact that it throws wicked flames. I haven't changed any of the jets or anything just the pipe and added header wrap. Heres the link to the video my buddy took of it. The first minute or so is at night where you cant see much but the second part is where the magic happens. https://youtu.be/B-_djuC1Fco  so bottom line im curious if anyone knows why this is happening or if i should be worried about anything.  Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: 86 savage throwing flames with harley dyna exh
Reply #1 - 04/09/16 at 18:37:58

You're running too lean. You NEED to rejet.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/09/16 at 19:28:20

Dave, have you got a pic of that cam handy?
Low idle speed is death on these. Idling on the sidestand is not a good idea, either.
Couple them up.. not okay.
Sounds better than the stock muffler. Doesn't take much of a leak to make it backfire. A candle is good. But Do avoid the battery vent tube. The Idle air mixture is something that you can check. It's gonna help you figure out what the jets need to be.
Crud builds up around the spark plug. Clear that out before you pull the plug.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #3 - 04/09/16 at 19:36:34

way too low of an idle, it's NOT an HD ... rejet ASAP

you're gonna kill that bike more sooner than later ...

or don't and sell it for pennies on the dollar on Craigslist

someone will get a great deal, if they can wrench ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/10/16 at 06:58:24

Put the idle speed back to where it was in the nightime video...
Low idle, equals low oil pressure...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/10/16 at 07:19:28

Did RayRay go ByeBye?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RayRay88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/10/16 at 09:27:05

Obviously I'm no motorcycle genius, but explain to me WHY the excess flames. People are saying im running lean, wouldn't excess fuel in the system cause flames? Which would mean im running rich?  I lterally just put the pipe on last friday and rode it once.  It ran perfect, no hiccups or backfires. I was planning on rejetting anyway. Before i swapped pipes my idle was where it should be. The weather has been fluctuating here in wisconsin so much that once I'd adjust the idle on a 60 degree day it would get thrown off on a 30 degree day like you saw in the video especially after the pipe swap. ...... so let me get this straight..... don't let it idle on the side stand because it'll ruin the bike.... i need to rejet asap or it'll ruin the bike....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/10/16 at 09:50:08

I would not panic about the jets just yet. Check out the idle air adjustment stuff in the tech section. Make sure it's not got an air leak in the exhaust system somewhere. You said it ran smooth as soon as it was installed. The same jets were in it then. Adjusting the idle air requires that it be warmed up and it's easier with the idle set a bit low. For those reasons, I took a screwdriver that clipped in the pocket and went to town. A red light is a great time to barely turn it.

Low idle , due to temperature changes or whatever, simply don't deliver the oil to the cam, and it's made worse by being on the sidestand, because the oil supply hole is below the end of the cam.So, that end of it, the lobe and the rocker are not getting oiled.
After the cam, jets, exhaust, mine demanded that I raise the idle. As it warmed up, I idled down to reasonable RPM.  If I adjusted it on a cold day and didn't adjust it back down when it warmed up, I would have been idling at twenty..
It's not a sophisticated engine. It requires some thought by the operator. I liked that about it.

For now, I'd be getting the idle speed up , check for leaks on the exhaust, read up on the idle air mixture. And, if you can't be sitting on it, at least block up under the sidestand some and get the idle up. Might not be good for the pipe to rack it off once in a while, but letting a cam die is worse than a blue pipe. It's wrapped anyway, I think. Can't see it now..

How many miles on it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/10/16 at 10:19:27

RayRay88 wrote on 04/10/16 at 09:27:05:
Obviously I'm no motorcycle genius, but explain to me WHY the excess flames. People are saying im running lean, wouldn't excess fuel in the system cause flames? Which would mean im running rich?  

Of course it could be rich, we don't know everything about your bike.
But a stocker with a dyna muff we know all about.  been there, done that.

Why the flames?  How can it be lean?
If it's lean, fuel efficiency isn't there.  You're not getting a full burn in your cylinder and some of the fuel gets spat out.  It collects in the muff waiting for enough air and a spark or a really hot baffle.  Then you have afterburner... cool.   Cool

And the other possibility?  your petcock diaphragm can fail dumping fuel in past your carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 04/10/16 at 21:06:39

Do you know if your jets are stock? Suzuki builds this bike to run lean from the factory. It's really the only emissions equipment on the engine. The HD muffler makes it run a little leaner. You need to rejet richer for proper performance. There is no hard and fast rule as to what you need. You'll need to experiment with a few jets probably. Each engine is different.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/10/16 at 21:46:09

Obviously I'm no motorcycle genius, but explain to me WHY the excess flames. People are saying im running lean, wouldn't excess fuel in the system cause flames? Which would mean im running rich?  I lterally just put the pipe on last friday and rode it once.  It ran perfect, no hiccups or backfires. iI was planning on rejetting anyway. Before i swapped pipes my idle was where it should be. The weather has been fluctuating here in wisconsin so much that once I'd adjust the idle on a 60 degree day it would get thrown off on a 30 degree day like you saw in the video especially after the pipe swap. ...... so let me get this straight..... don't let it idle on the side stand because it'll ruin the bike.... i need to rejet asap or it'll ruin the bike....  

Okay folks, I don't generally do this, but,the back and forth after I already SAW what the man said, and replied..

Now, read what he said

I lterally just put the pipe on last friday and rode it once.  It ran perfect, no hiccups or backfires.

So, either THAT didn't happen, or the jets changed OR, the ride loosened something up.

If a machine works right, then why would it need jets? Must not be too bad.

What year and how many miles?
Different jets, different years.

Still need to dial in the idle air.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/11/16 at 00:21:47

verslagen1 wrote on 04/10/16 at 10:19:27:
Obviously I'm no motorcycle genius, but explain to me WHY the excess flames. People are saying im running lean, wouldn't excess fuel in the system cause flames? Which would mean im running rich?  

Of course it could be rich, we don't know everything about your bike.
But a stocker with a dyna muff we know all about.  been there, done that.

Why the flames?  How can it be lean?
If it's lean, fuel efficiency isn't there.  You're not getting a full burn in your cylinder and some of the fuel gets spat out.  It collects in the muff waiting for enough air and a spark or a really hot baffle.  Then you have afterburner... cool.   Cool

And the other possibility?  your petcock diaphragm can fail dumping fuel in past your carb.

...or both.  My experience has me leaning toward not getting a full burn, but too lean is only one possible cause for that.  How's your air filter looking?  Have you checked for cracks or leaks along the intake hose?  How's your spark looking?  Check this simple stuff.  Either way flames are definitely not what you want.  Night time idle was way too high...Daytime idle was way too low.  If you're fluctuating that much off just temp changes you definitely have a mix problem.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
RayRay88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/11/16 at 05:47:33

Kris01 wrote on 04/10/16 at 21:06:39:
Do you know if your jets are stock? Suzuki builds this bike to run lean from the factory. It's really the only emissions equipment on the engine. The HD muffler makes it run a little leaner. You need to rejet richer for proper performance. There is no hard and fast rule as to what you need. You'll need to experiment with a few jets probably. Each engine is different.

thanks, to my knowledge the jets are stock.  for everyone else looking for some history on the bike.
it's an 86' with 5,800 miles... been sitting in the garage since the early 90's with broken starter gears.  got it running this year after taking the gears out, changing the oil, air filter and a carb clean.  ran it for a month stock then decided to put the pipe on.  I'd read on the other sections about folks putting Harley mufflers on their savages so I knew I'd have to rejet per their recommendation.  just never saw anyone else saying they had a flame show, thought it was odd so I figured I'd bring the topic here

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/11/16 at 05:53:21

If it RAN and DID NOT backfire, then what is the clue that it needs jets?

IP Logged
RayRay88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/11/16 at 06:01:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/11/16 at 05:53:21:
If it RAN and DID NOT backfire, then what is the clue that it needs jets?

This week when I take it for a ride, i'll strap the GoPro on and maybe it might help to give you a feel of how it runs.  i'll even adjust the idle after the engine has some time to warm up and see if that helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:42:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 86 savage throwing flames with harley dyna exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.