Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: XS650 inverted jug?
Reply #15 - 04/04/16 at 08:13:10

Some folks are making the original 360 degree firing engines into a more modern 270 degree firing order.  The stock XS650 engine fires a cylinder every time the engine rotates 360 degrees.....every time a piston comes up one is firing while the other one is between the exhaust/intake strokes.  Modern twins are using a 270 degree crank where one crank throw is rotated 90 degrees....so the firing occurs 270 degrees apart at the shortest interval - and 450 degrees at the longest interval.  This makes a bit of a "lopey" sound to the engine.  It is supposed to result in less vibration  - and racing bikes use this design as it is supposed to provide better traction.....the longer 450 degree phase without engine power is supposed to allow the tire to get a better hook up with the pavement.

In order to get a 270 degree firing order, the crank, camshaft and ignition systems all have to be modified.  A special center

http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2013/08/270-degree-xs650-engine-for-sale.html  

The engine can be rephased to 277 degrees with the stock center crank pin - and this is a more common approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-j9q6K_828

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #16 - 04/04/16 at 12:00:59

from the links Dave provided:

Quote:
for $7500 plus your buildable core (existing Engine Build Customers are welcome to take advantage of this as well) - would rather not ship (crating fees will be added)

Shocked

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #17 - 04/04/16 at 17:48:04

You can't just spin the head around, can you?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #18 - 04/04/16 at 23:31:30

Kris01 wrote on 04/04/16 at 17:48:04:
You can't just spin the head around, can you?

If you are an owl, maybe   Cheesy

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 04/05/16 at 06:33:54

Modern twins are using a 270 degree crank where one crank throw is rotated 90 degrees....so the firing occurs 270 degrees apart at the shortest interval - and 450 degrees at the longest interval.  This makes a bit of a "lopey" sound to the engine.  It is supposed to result in less vibration  - and racing bikes use this design as it is supposed to provide better traction.

I know Harley Davidson was really popular with the dirt track guys,, I really don't understand how setting up one cylinder ninety degrees off Decreases vibration, but I Can kinda get the traction thing.
Good post, Dave.
Any sites that you'd suggest that might help me understand would be fun ..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 04/05/16 at 13:14:48

Rotating the head around might seem simple at first - but the more I think about it the more I think it would be difficult.

Assuming the camshaft is driven from the center, and that the cylinder studs are laid out in a symmetrical pattern...maybe it can be rotated.  But what about the camshaft????....If you rotate the camshaft with the head it is now rotating backwards....and what used to be the lifting ramp is now on the backside of the rotation.  And what about the oil feed to the camshaft......how does the head get the oil pressure to the head?

There was a fellow living in Cincinnati who built an old BMW airhead to set a land speed record, and he had reversed the cylinders so the carb was on the front of each cylinder and the exhaust was out the back.  Not sure how he did that one either - but for some reason it seems that it would be easier on a pushrod engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 04/05/16 at 13:33:49

Dave wrote on 04/05/16 at 13:14:48:
There was a fellow living in Cincinnati who built an old BMW airhead to set a land speed record, and he had reversed the cylinders so the carb was on the front of each cylinder and the exhaust was out the back.  Not sure how he did that one either - but for some reason it seems that it would be easier on a pushrod engine.

I think you swap heads, left for right and vice versa.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:34:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › XS650 inverted jug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.