Send Topic Print
Dead Battery (Read 65 times)
Anegative
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dead Battery
03/30/16 at 16:09:05

So I turned the key to park pos. thinking i turned it to off and my battery died. Crap :'(  So would a simple charge be ok or do I need to buy a new battery. its a 2012. with original battery. Sorry Im still a noob. also would a regular car battery do the trick? or do I need some special chingadeda.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Dead Battery
Reply #1 - 03/30/16 at 16:23:35

pull the battery and use it as a core for a NEW super special chingadeda motorcycle battery.  Wink

a "car" battery would only help to jump the bike, not a long term solution.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Anegative
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/30/16 at 16:55:06

what i meant to say was. will a regular car battery charger work to charge a motorcycle battery.. lmao.  Grin darn my bad.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/30/16 at 17:12:27

Negative,

If you want to be safe charging most motorcycle batteries you will need a Battery Tender.
The Battery Tender Junior is more universal as to the different kinds of motorcycle batteries that it will safely charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/re...

The Battery Tenders are widely available at motorcycle shops, etc.
The price at Amazon is hard to beat.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/30/16 at 17:25:38

I think it's been said that tenders aren't made to fully charge a m/c battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/30/16 at 18:01:10

The problem with battery tenders....is that for some reason they see a dead battery as having the same properties as a fully charged battery - so they won't charge a battery that is mostly run down (or dead).

The same thing is true of most Smart Chargers.....they just don't know what to do with a battery that is really run down.

You need an older "dumb" charger....the manual kind that requires you to know when to take it off the battery.  You can find good ones at flea markets and garage sales.  If you find one with different settings like 2 amp, 6 amp, etc. - it is a keeper.  Motorcycle batteries should not be charged at more then 2 amps.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/30/16 at 18:39:41

Wal-Mart, much as I hate to admit it, has THE test/ charge equipment. I killed the backhoe battery so flat the charger hadn't even started helping in several hours, TWICE,,,  and they were able to resurrect it. Get it charging, soon. Like you, the longer you're dead, the less likely they are to be able to save you.
It's Old, so, probably be ahead to just get a battery. If the backhoe battery is wimpy, it's parked by the shop. If you have a dead battery fifty miles from home,,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 03/30/16 at 19:14:54

Batteries typically don't like to be run down but it still might be good enough to hold a charge.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 03/30/16 at 21:37:38

Charge it with your car battery charger for 20 min, half an hour. Just enough to get it running. then go for a nice long ride. If the battery is good, a short charge on the car charger wont hurt it. If the battery's bad, well, it's toast anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:33:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dead Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.