Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Shinko 712f wear report (Read 306 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Shinko 712f wear report
Reply #30 - 03/29/16 at 14:59:59

Ruttly wrote on 03/28/16 at 19:02:49:
Try leaning the bike when making turns , really look at your pics! Next Continentals , Dunlops , Metzlers , etc. When you only have 2 tires that's not the place to skimp to save a few bucks. It could be a life or death decision !

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Shinko 712 tires, other than the front wandering a bit on grooved pavement (jut like the stock IRC)
they ride smooth, they stick well, and they're a good tire
where they do lose out is wear, the 712 wears quicker than a Metzeler, but that's mostly due to the Met being thicker (it weighs more )
the 712 is the most commonly recommended tire on this site for the S40 unless you're a high mileage rider, followed by the 230 if you want longer life and slightly better ride, and I believe the 230 gets somewhat better wet traction and most of us use or have used them on the S40

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #31 - 03/29/16 at 16:35:52

Well, I don't really like the looks of the 230. The tread has small tread grooves, and the rear tire is flattish in shape. It's not that pretty a tire, is it? I got my Dad a set for his Shadow.

I like my 712 rear. I just haven't put it on yet. Wink

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #32 - 03/29/16 at 16:50:40

By the way, that 8 year old Metzler is not exactly as bad as some would think. I've been rediscovering leaning lately, and today I dragged my heels a time or two in the twisties with that ragged out tire. Of course, my heels are probably significantly lower than the pegs at times, especially since I like to keep the rear brake covered. One time, my heel dragged the ground and caused me to panic and yank the bike up in the curve, if you know what I mean (wobble). That was a wild "whoa" moment, but I can't say the tires ever lost traction, not even that junky old Metzler.

Strangely, I dragged my heel and/or peg while turning into the parking lot at the restaurant where I work once. That was very unexpected. Huh

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #33 - 03/29/16 at 21:52:37

I lowered the pressure on the front tire to 31-32 psi. It probably doesn't need any more than that. I've got around 35-36 in the rear.

« Last Edit: 03/30/16 at 08:05:33 by cheapnewb24 »  

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #34 - 03/29/16 at 23:11:38

cheapnewb24 wrote on 03/29/16 at 16:50:40:
By the way, that 8 year old Metzler is not exactly as bad as some would think. I've been rediscovering leaning lately, and today I dragged my heels a time or two in the twisties with that ragged out tire. Of course, my heels are probably significantly lower than the pegs at times, especially since I like to keep the rear brake covered. One time, my heel dragged the ground and caused me to panic and yank the bike up in the curve, if you know what I mean (wobble). That was a wild "whoa" moment, but I can't say the tires ever lost traction, not even that junky old Metzler.

Strangely, I dragged my heel and/or peg while turning into the parking lot at the restaurant where I work once. That was very unexpected. Huh

Feels good, don't it? Cool
Take it easy pulling into the parking lot. going up the kerb you suddenly lose a lot of ground clearance and bits drag. Probably why it happened so unexpectedly. Saw a guy stack his cruiser not long ago doing just that.

One of the guys in the other tyre thread mentioned Keith Code and A twist of the wrist. Watch vol. 2 on youtube. It's really good advice.

I went out and had a look at my front tyre, just to see. The Michelin Macadam on my bike looks almost as new with around 10,000km, no feathering. Might be a weight thing perhaps? You heavier guys might cause the front wheel to push a little more than us lighter fellows.

My Michelin. Looks backward but it isn't.

IMAG1073.jpg
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #35 - 03/30/16 at 22:53:21

Bike is about the same weight as stock, even with all the modifications. Solo seat and glasspack muffler are a lot lighter than the stock parts.

My weight fluctuates between 225 and 260 pounds.

Tuning the fork is not difficult. Oil level and weight chance nges until you get the feel you prefer. Tuning the rear suspension is as easy as greasing anything that  pivots, including the shock mounting lugs on the frame. Then playing with the shock settings until realizing the stock shocks are garbage and buying decent replacements. If you get shocks with a threaded body instead of notches so much the better.

Adjust your speed and riding style to suit your road surfaces most commonly encountered. Chip seal or similar (gravel dumped onto sprayed oil) requires a few less psi than asphalt or concrete.

It's just a simple matter of determining how abrasive your roads are and tailoring your pressures to suit.

I run the truck tires (P type on minis, LT on full sized) within 4 psi of sidewall max, except the load range E mud tires on the Z71 only get 60psi instead of 80psi.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #36 - 03/31/16 at 13:03:56

At 40 psi you did severely over inflate your tire and adversely affected your handling. You should stay at or close to the Suzuki recommended air pressure. If you have developed cupping your tire will probably continue to wear irregularly even after you correct the air pressure. If it affects your handling too much, change it.

What probably happened is the same as the effect of a bad shock, your tire has probably been bouncing a lot more than it should. Your choice of fork oil may or may not have contributed.

The 712 rear is a great tire for the money. I have yet to change my front tire but think I will be getting a Shinko 230 soon as my front tire though it looks just fine is rather old.

Good luck!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #37 - 03/31/16 at 16:31:30

I brought the pressure down to 31 front, 35 rear. I hope my tire straightens up. With my rough roads, I wonder if I shouldn't go lower. As one here put it, replacing tires is better than replacing suspensions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shinko 712f wear report

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.