Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weekend Maintenance Questions (Read 92 times)
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Weekend Maintenance Questions
03/24/16 at 21:25:05

I'm planning on doing some maintenance this weekend. The rain is going to relent, at least for a few days, here in Seattle. I'm hoping to take that opportunity to replace my front brake pads and swap in a raptor.

I have a couple (likely silly) questions about these projects. I'm still teaching myself to be my own mechanic so I want to make sure I get these things right.

Raptor:

1) The post on replacing them mentions a vacuum plug. Do they come in different sizes? (seems likely) what size do I need to ask for?

Brakes:

1) Post on replacing them mentions "anti-squeal grease" is there a specific product I should be looking for? I have a NAPA and an O'reilly's nearby if someone wanted to shoot me a link!

2) When bleeding the brakes. I understand you should attach tubing for the fluid to flow out. Is there a specific size I'm looking for.

Any other tips would be great! Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Weekend Maintenance Questions
Reply #1 - 03/24/16 at 21:59:05

Drey,

What I did instead of running into town to buy a vacuum plug was cut the existing vacuum hose off about an inch and a half from the vacuum port.

I then found an Allen head machine screw with a snug fit into the hose and filled the hose part way with silicone, probably RTV, and threaded the Allen screw in. The Allen screw was probably a 10/32 or 10/24, I cannot recall.

I have attached a pic, and it is the short hose with the Allen head peeking out behind the speedometer cable.

It has been on for over a year now and I expect that it will last as long as any of the tubing on the bike.

Often the plugs that you purchase at the auto parts store are made from inferior Chinese rubber and when you have to find the leak it is a real dog thingy.

Kenny G

IMG_0532.JPG
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 03/24/16 at 22:06:02

1. Vacuum Caps come in a miscellaneous size package:

just ask the staff to help you find a pack

2. Anti-squeal goop should be found around the counter or better yet ask the staff for a SMALL sample size pack. Like the size of a sugar packet.

3. 1/4" tubing should fit the bleeder screw

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 03/25/16 at 00:32:53

I usually snip the hose off and stuff a ball bearing in it to plug a hose.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 03/25/16 at 03:50:36

When I replaced my petcock, I looked around for a suitable plug. Those caps you buy, like someone said, just don't seem to last. I found a small, yellow wire nut and shoved it in the bit of hose that was left. I figured it would last at long as the cap things. But it's still there, or at least it was yesterday.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 03/25/16 at 08:15:01

Thanks for your help guys. I don't know why going to the auto parts store is always the most stressful part of figuring out what I'm doing!

Just for future reference, if whatever I find to plug the vacuum line fails, what will the bike do? So I know when it happens and I don't panic that the ole girl is ruined forever. Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/28/16 at 04:55:55

Drey wrote on 03/25/16 at 08:15:01:
Just for future reference, if whatever I find to plug the vacuum line fails, what will the bike do? So I know when it happens and I don't panic that the ole girl is ruined forever. Wink

When you get the cap and get everything changed....pull the cap off and witness how the bike responds so you recognize the symptoms.  (Don't ride it this way....just notice how the bike idles and responds to the throttle).

If the plug fails....you will have an air leak, and the engine will run too lean.  The idle will be rough (if it idles at all), the bike will most likely stall whenever you rev the engine and close the throttle.  When accelerating at low throttle settings the engine will surge and not provide a steady acceleration.  The symptoms will most likely go away at higher throttle settings - however if you continue to ride the bike with an air leak ......the bike will still be running too lean and could burn up the spark plug electrodes....or the exhaust valves could be burned.

When you find the rubber cap that is the right size - buy 2 and keep one in the tool kit as a spare.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/28/16 at 18:55:47

Don't let the master cylinder run dry. Getting it primed can be really tuff. Waste fluid if you must.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 03/28/16 at 18:57:26

Pack the cap with RTV. If it dry rots and fails the RTV will still be in the shape of the cap and seal a potential leak.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:20:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weekend Maintenance Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.