Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
craftsman 580.768210 power washer not starting (Read 312 times)
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

craftsman 580.768210 power washer not starting
03/24/16 at 14:57:58

Folks-

As many of you know I am a complete noob in carbs. I have no problem in admitting it Smiley

Now, I have 'almost' picked up this power washer and it's not starting up.

As per owner it was working fine till last Fall: It's an older unit that I paid to have serviced last spring and was working fine.

Owner poured regular gasoline in it and I think left it, as is. My question is, is worth picking up for 'FREE'?

Is there anyone who knows these power washers well and can help me troubleshoot? Or if you know a forum/group specific to power washers would be great too.

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: craftsman 580.768210 power washer not starting
Reply #1 - 03/24/16 at 15:05:16

For FREE? Of COURSE you take it. You want to learn, what's better?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 03/25/16 at 06:30:27

Probably has a float type carb that is gummed up or has a stuck float. If it was running last year it should be an easy fix. It would be a good way to learn carbs. Free? get it!!

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/25/16 at 08:20:24

Yes, it's FREE, i-e $0.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow and will consult you guys for help and assistance.

Do you guys know any specific forum dedicated to power washers?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/25/16 at 10:27:51

Unless you have a problem with the pump, all you're gonna need is engine repair information.
Id check the oil, pull the plug, get some oil in on the rings, pull it over slowly a few times and get the cylinder wall lubed, then pull it hard, blow as much oil out as possible. A drop in the plug and she no go.
How you have to orient the engine to get oil where you want it? I can't see it.

I wouldn't worry about the carb, just shoot ether at the intake and see if it promises to run.
Once you have reason to believe it will run.
Drop the carb bowl and look.
I'm gonna guess it's just been sitting..

Some pressure washer pumps DIE if the engine spins and they don't have water in them.
Know what you have. Pumps cycling without fluids are usually not too happy. Mine came with specific warnings about that.
I would not even turn it over without providing the pump fluids.
You Might consider pulling the pump off and inspecting it. Maybe the pistons are starting to sieze,,
Depends on how long it sat. A few months, no biggie. A couple of years? Why not have a look.

It's a Free gizmo that you can use to learn on. Screw it up, you lost nothing but gained experience.
Disassembly is the important step. Being organised makes putting it back together much easier. Set every part down and note the position and orientation to the last part.

Any fuel is probably trash, so I'd empty and clean the tank if it looks needy, but if you have spark and compression, with carb work,you're probably in business.

The hose? Age, heat, sunlight, it's likely to be ready to die,
Lowe's sells stuff for pressure washer.

Check the engine manufacturer and hunt for a forum specific to it.
Tecumseh engine can be hopped up. They sell all kindsa hop up parts. And there's a forum for all Tecumseh engines.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/tecumseh-engine-forum/

Sears used them in lots of mowers. The carb on the riding mower I recently retrieved from the side of the road was a mess, but simple enough to save. The rubber tip on the float valve needle had dried out and hardened, allowing the fuel to flood into the cylinder . When I pulled the plug, gas poured out on the floor. Adjusting the lever on the float proved impossible, but heat shrink tubing was enough to press it into the seat. That, and I soaked it in silicone oil to soften it, but probably transmission fluid or a product sold that is supposed to seal leaky seals would work. If not, then you can buy new, but, I avoid spending when there is any other way.  Cleaning the bowl, treating the rust with ospho, and cleaning the jets, shooting Berrymans  B-12 through passages, and it worked.

Eye protection is a Must and proper ventilation can't be over emphasized. I use rubber gloves. Nothing that will do the job is exactly good for you.

A tip cleaner for a torch is handy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 03/25/16 at 12:56:24

You Tube is your friend...

I just typed craftsman power washer won't start...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/26/16 at 11:06:05

Here is the power washer, I picked up.

Planning to replace old gas, clean spark plug and maybe oil too?

Any idea what oil do I use for it and also where should I put starting fluid?

photo uploading

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 03/26/16 at 11:11:55

First

Slow down.

Read my post above.

Starting fluid? Think about where it goes.

I would Check the oil. If it's scary low , add. Don't change oil until you have it running.

Don't ruin the pump

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #8 - 03/26/16 at 11:30:25

dude, you f#ckin SCORED !!!!  Cool

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/26/16 at 13:56:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/26/16 at 11:11:55:
First

Slow down.

Read my post above.

Starting fluid? Think about where it goes.

I would Check the oil. If it's scary low , add. Don't change oil until you have it running.

Don't ruin the pump

What oil should I add? Any oil would be fine which is 5W-30 or something?

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #10 - 03/26/16 at 14:58:16

here's a link to the manual, looks like it was scanned from those paper thin manuals, but it's still readable.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/490981/Craftsman-580-768210.html#manual

Quote:
Engine Oil
IMPORTANT: Any attempt to crank or start the engine before it has been properly serviced with the recommended oil may result in an engine failure.

NOTE: When adding oil to the engine crankcase, use only high quality detergent oil rated with API service classification SF, SH, SG, or SH/CD rated SAE 30 weight.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 03/26/16 at 15:32:54

Oil, put some Rotella in it. Been using it in all my air cooled engines. Folow JOG' instructions and make sure you have water going into the power washing pump before starting.
 Beside that give it some fresh gas and see what happens. Don't forget the Sea Foam. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/26/16 at 17:34:34

Can I simple say you guys are freaking awesome Grin

Thanks so much for all of your help and guidance. Without looking at the manual, I was trying to drain to oil and it was like coal!!!

Really nasty and bad colored, anyway I utilized my own method and was able to remove all the old fluid. Removed spark plug, cleaned it up using carb cleaner. Now going to use dielectric grease and anti-seize before putting it back on.

Used carb cleaner in the fuel tank and removed float bowl, it was full of debris and gunk. Cleaned all of that, as well as a sleeve thing(main jet or pilot, maybe)? Removed air filter and it was soaked in very fine thin oil, is it normal?

Going to look for air filter based on manual and clean that up as well.

Can I use 5w-30 or rotella 15w-40 for oil, instead of SAE 30? Going to put some seafoam, stabil and put new gas in it. Then hook up water inlet and will try to fire the baby to see how it goes. Will try to find ethanol free gas(problem is it's bit far from my house Sad )

Else, I might have to pull the carb apart and see what can be done with it?

Any other tips or warnings, please keep sending them my way. I am going to hopefully fix that thing up!

IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/26/16 at 17:37:43

DesertRat wrote on 03/26/16 at 14:58:16:
here's a link to the manual, looks like it was scanned from those paper thin manuals, but it's still readable.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/490981/Craftsman-580-768210.html#manual

Quote:
Engine Oil
IMPORTANT: Any attempt to crank or start the engine before it has been properly serviced with the recommended oil may result in an engine failure.

NOTE: When adding oil to the engine crankcase, use only high quality detergent oil rated with API service classification SF, SH, SG, or SH/CD rated SAE 30 weight.

Thanks for sharing the manual, appreciate it Smiley

IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/26/16 at 17:39:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/25/16 at 10:27:51:
Unless you have a problem with the pump, all you're gonna need is engine repair information.
Id check the oil, pull the plug, get some oil in on the rings, pull it over slowly a few times and get the cylinder wall lubed, then pull it hard, blow as much oil out as possible. A drop in the plug and she no go.
How you have to orient the engine to get oil where you want it? I can't see it.

I wouldn't worry about the carb, just shoot ether at the intake and see if it promises to run.
Once you have reason to believe it will run.
Drop the carb bowl and look.
I'm gonna guess it's just been sitting..

Some pressure washer pumps DIE if the engine spins and they don't have water in them.
Know what you have. Pumps cycling without fluids are usually not too happy. Mine came with specific warnings about that.
I would not even turn it over without providing the pump fluids.
You Might consider pulling the pump off and inspecting it. Maybe the pistons are starting to sieze,,
Depends on how long it sat. A few months, no biggie. A couple of years? Why not have a look.

It's a Free gizmo that you can use to learn on. Screw it up, you lost nothing but gained experience.
Disassembly is the important step. Being organised makes putting it back together much easier. Set every part down and note the position and orientation to the last part.

Any fuel is probably trash, so I'd empty and clean the tank if it looks needy, but if you have spark and compression, with carb work,you're probably in business.

The hose? Age, heat, sunlight, it's likely to be ready to die,
Lowe's sells stuff for pressure washer.

Check the engine manufacturer and hunt for a forum specific to it.
Tecumseh engine can be hopped up. They sell all kindsa hop up parts. And there's a forum for all Tecumseh engines.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/tecumseh-engine-forum/

Sears used them in lots of mowers. The carb on the riding mower I recently retrieved from the side of the road was a mess, but simple enough to save. The rubber tip on the float valve needle had dried out and hardened, allowing the fuel to flood into the cylinder . When I pulled the plug, gas poured out on the floor. Adjusting the lever on the float proved impossible, but heat shrink tubing was enough to press it into the seat. That, and I soaked it in silicone oil to soften it, but probably transmission fluid or a product sold that is supposed to seal leaky seals would work. If not, then you can buy new, but, I avoid spending when there is any other way.  Cleaning the bowl, treating the rust with ospho, and cleaning the jets, shooting Berrymans  B-12 through passages, and it worked.

Eye protection is a Must and proper ventilation can't be over emphasized. I use rubber gloves. Nothing that will do the job is exactly good for you.

A tip cleaner for a torch is handy.

YOU SIR, YES I AM TALKING ABOUT YOU, are awesome and very very helpful and kind. Thanks a lot for your sound advice and help. I appreciate it.

Going to follow your orders and hopefully, I'll be on the right track, sooner or later! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:36:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › craftsman 580.768210 power washer not starting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.