Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
craftsman 580.768210 power washer not starting (Read 312 times)
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: craftsman 580.768210 power washer not starting
Reply #15 - 03/26/16 at 18:16:21

Two more question, can I use fabric store foam for air filter? Also, should I replace spark plug or no need for it?

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #16 - 03/26/16 at 18:19:56

fabric store foam is NOT safe to use. More than likely it will dissolve around the oil/gas

just clean the plug and put it back in without bending the tang

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/26/16 at 18:22:04

Great, thank you. Actually, just saw this video and going to follow it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5LnhMh5Ppo

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 03/26/16 at 18:42:25

I watch the car shows. They don't spend a dime for a spark plug until they have to.
Get it running, if you have to remove the air filter, pull it. It's not gonna ruin it to run ten minutes without one. After you Prove it IS a working pressure washer, blow the old one out. No way it's actually dirty from use unless someone used it commercially.
My pressure washer is five years old and has under three hours of use...
Your kind words are appreciated.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/27/16 at 10:16:14

Alright guys update form today:

1-Added 10w-30 oil.

2-Added fresh gas, stabil and seafoam

3-Squirted oil into spark plug well

4-Hooked power inlet hose

Tried to start without air filter, after like 3rd try it started for a sec, then died. Continued using 'prime/choke' and tried to start it for like 87 times. Removed float bowl, cleaned it and then put it back on.

It's only starting at 'Prime/choke' and if I keep pressing it, it'll continue to run for 1-2 mins.

Finally, after many attempts I switched the lever to 'Run' position and it'll run for 2-3mins but then dies. What could be the problem? Why it's not running for longer? Any tips or help?

P.S: Pump and everything else is fully functional, water pressure is great Cheesy

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 03/27/16 at 13:05:08

Sounds like the spring for the governor might be too loose or too tight.

Most small engines have a large flap and arm assembly that are attached to the carb butterfly valve that control the air intake.

When the motor is started in the "start" position, the throttle arm spring pressure holds the butterfly closed.
After it starts and you put it in the run position, the governor springs then take over.
The flap (governor) catches the air coming from the spinning balance wheel (which also has your magneto to control your spark timing) and keeps the valve at a specific angle to keep the rpms steady.
If the engine slows down the spring tension increases and the butterfly  closes, choking the engine and adding more fuel.
If it speeds up the spring tension decreases to open the butterfly and let in more air, slowing down the engine.
Does it just quit or rev up and down?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 03/27/16 at 13:26:42

One other thing....

Are you sure you drained the engine oil???

My pressure sprayer has TWO drains.... the one easiest to get to is the pump crank case.... not the engine... they are two different oil systems.

I actually have to drain my engine oil via the fill tube! unless I dismantle and remove the engine off of the pump system.

When I first serviced it, I could not figure why when I drained the oil out, it was still FULL! I had drained the water pump crank! Talk about a pain to fill back up, I had to tilt the sprayer on its side.

If you ever get tired of pulling that rope.... you can remove the top section and use a battery powered drill and a 3/4's socket to start it with.
But you do have to be careful because the spinning  balance fins are a bit hazardous if you drop something on them Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/27/16 at 14:08:21

Thank you OR.

Yesterday before looking at the manual, I could not have figured in my entire life how to drain old oil? Many of the bolts which I suspected are drain ones, were difficult to access. I used a syringe and sucked all the fluid, then tilted the engine completely to make sure it's completely empty. After looking at the manual, filling hole is also a drain hole too. Grin

Now to your questions, if I put it on to run at the highest speed, it'll run for a few mins and will just shut off. A quick search tells me there's a possibility of vacuum(gas cap need to be loosened up or even removed) or there is less oil in the engine.

I just made sure that there's enough oil and I can see it's up to the 'Full' mark, going to test gas cap too.

When it runs, runs just fine and continue for a few mins.

Thanks for all the help and support.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 03/27/16 at 14:29:03

Did you pull the tank off and clean it? or the hose from the tank to the carb?
It might just be a piece of dirt somewhere in the system plugging a hole or a jet after it circulates and gets drug into the fuel path.

You mentioned taking the float off and cleaning it, did you run a wire up the jet under the float needle? or take the needle off and clean the rubber and seat?  It could be sticking after the gas is burned out of the float bowl and just dying because the needle is not dropping back down.

Most lawn mower fuel systems are gravity fed and the gas cap is to just release excess pressure to keep from putting too much gas into the carb.
The cap on my pressure sprayer doesn't even have a relief hole, pressure just overrides the seal and runs down the threads.

Hope this helps...

IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/27/16 at 14:57:18

I did not pull the tank off, just removed fuel supply line and clean that thoroughly, as well as tank with carb cleaner.

Removed float bowl, cleaned few holes(not sure what are they though? ) Also,  tried to clean all the dirt/debris/grime from carb and main pilot/jet, I think?

I am happy to report, I just tested it for almost 10 or so minutes with input water, as well as releasing pressure from the system. Only different thing I did was to lossen up the gas cap and it did the trick, go figure!

But most importantly, I am very very and very thankful to all of you guys, every single person who posted his valuable input.

For now, I can safely say it's fully functional and working like a charm!!!

Of course, I'll consult you guys again if I have trouble/issues.

Thanks again folks  Cool

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #25 - 03/27/16 at 15:09:59

Sounds great!

And now that I had to explain to the wife what I was writing about on this post, she says, "you going to finish spraying our house this week?"  LOL  Grin Grin

And being down here, the water is "sulphery" and stains the vinyl siding, so not only do I have to pressure spray, I have to de-stain it...sigh... Sad

IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/27/16 at 15:14:29

That's so funny and hilarious. Since, I just acquired a power wash and am watching a lot of youtube videos about it.

But let me ask you guys, what cleaner/solution should I be using to clean the deck and driveway? I am thinking, dish detergent, mixed with bleach, vinegar and some baking soda.

After power washing the deck, should I stain it too or just leave it for natural aging? At the moment, there is no stain or paint or anything.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 03/27/16 at 15:35:42

You might wanna get a piece of wood and see what it does to it. A pressure washer can wreck wood. And rip skin off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/27/16 at 15:37:12

Yeah, I know it can rip skin off and can be dangerous but my question is, is it not safe to use on a wooden deck?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #29 - 03/27/16 at 15:39:27

I wouldn't run bleach through the power washer, the stuff is murder on stainless steel and will eat out parts of the pressure pump. If I need to bleach a deck or clean up my boat I mix one part bleach with eight parts water and scrub it on using a long handled brush. Then give it a good rinsing with the washer, it works great on most surfaces but will bleach out any jeans you wear. Hit the power washer section of a big box store and you will find a lot of different cleaners for wood and concrete also.
 If you are up north where it freezes in the winter you should drain the pressure head or pump a little antifreeze into it and drain the washer line and wand. I cracked a power washer once by not winterizing it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:42:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › craftsman 580.768210 power washer not starting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.