Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike won't shift into gear!!! Please Help!!! (Read 73 times)
Thomas Rhode
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike won't shift into gear!!! Please Help!!!
03/23/16 at 16:56:49

OK so I'm a new rider I just bought my first bike a few weeks ago and just rode it for the first time. It's a 2004, I drove it around the block a few times no problems. Parked it at home for about 20 minutes and went back out to pull it in the carport. Crunk up fine I pulled the clutch in shifted into first, the bike lurched forward a little and choked down. First thought was maybe the clutch cable was loose so I adjusted it a little and tried again, same thing cut off again. I don't have a clue what's going on but I'm really hoping nothing is wrong with the gear box. If y'all have any ideas or suggestions please let me know if really appreciate it.

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Re: Bike won't shift into gear!!! Please Help!!!
Reply #1 - 03/23/16 at 17:10:59

Get a camera. Grab your clutch handle and pull it up to the point you get resistance. Take a picture and load it up here. You still may have too much slack in your line.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Thomas Rhode
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/23/16 at 17:19:44

I looked at the clutch lever on the side of the motor and pulled in that much the arm starts to move

image_016.jpeg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 03/23/16 at 17:22:24

Got the side stand up? There's a switch down there that stops the engine if you put it in gear with the stand down. Stops you riding away like that.

IP Logged
Thomas Rhode
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/23/16 at 17:30:14

That was it!!! I didn't have any idea that there was a switch on there. I'm really happy it's not anything serious Grin I really appreciate your help Gizzo and thanks for the quick response.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 03/23/16 at 18:52:45

A lot of guys disable that switch. If you're a new rider and don't feel confident that you'll raise the kickstand before riding, leave it alone! If you have the stand down and start riding, a left turn could be deadly. I know a guy with a Harley who dumped it for that very reason.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 03/24/16 at 02:15:34

Thomas Rhode wrote on 03/23/16 at 17:30:14:
That was it!!! I didn't have any idea that there was a switch on there. I'm really happy it's not anything serious Grin I really appreciate your help Gizzo and thanks for the quick response.

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:28:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't shift into gear!!! Please Help!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.