Tent suggestions (Read 172 times)
ahusain

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Tent suggestions
03/23/16 at 12:37:41

Riders who camp -

What kind of tent are you using? Looking for a small 1-2 person tent or bivy. Links or pics would be cool.

Obv something you could carry on a bike. Thanks!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Tent suggestions
Reply #1 - 03/23/16 at 12:43:00

are trees available? you could go with those tent hammocks ...

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 03/23/16 at 16:42:44

I've been using one of these for the past four years.

https://www.backcountryedge.com/backpacking-and-camping-gear/tents/backpackin...

It's a little small for two ( most 2 person backpacking tents are) but is a really nice solo tent.  Strong, shock corded aluminum poles that fold down to about 18". Simple to set up. Free standing. Once it's assembled you can pick the whole tent up and move it around if necessary. I still stake it if there is much wind but it isn't necessary in calm weather. Packs very small. The stuff sack that comes with it is about twice as big as it needs to be. I pack the poles separately and the tent and fly fit in a waterproof stuff sack about about a foot long and 6" in diameter.

I've never carried it on my bike. Most of my camping is either canoeing of backpacking in the Adirondack Mountains, but I'm sure I could carry it and the rest of my backpacking gear on the bike with no problem.

Ventilation is good; lot of the body of the tent is mesh. I've been out in some pretty heavy rain a couple of times and with the fly on, and staked down, it's stayed dry inside.

My only real concern is that the material the floor is made from is a bit thin and might puncture if you are not careful about what's on the ground where you set it up. I cut a piece heavy clear poly an inch or so smaller than the dimensions of the floor that I lay down first and then set the tent on that.

I bought it from the place I sent the link to, but I only paid about $90 for it four years ago so the price has gone up a bit. Even for the price in the link I think it's a pretty good tent for the money.

P.S. I just looked at the link again and realized that the stuff sack that comes with the tent now is different from the one that came with mine. The new one actually looks like it might fit very nicely in a saddlebag.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/23/16 at 18:56:40

I'm not dead yet,but camping is just too hard now. The ground and my body just can't agree. I'm
Past tents.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 03/23/16 at 19:45:57

I use one of these:
https://www.snowys.com.au/Sleeping-Gear/Swags/Biker-Swag.aspx?c=3&sc=23&id=1005

Replaced the thin foam mattress with a self inflating thermarest and a blanket or sleeping bag depending on weather. It's great, waterproof and rolls up compact. Forget about entertaining the ladies in it though.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/24/16 at 03:50:49

My wife and I had a tent like this for a while - it is just a bit too small for 2 people and hiking/biking gear.  It packs to about the size of a sleeping bag roll.  It would be a nice size for 1 person, helmet, and provide room to unpack some things off the bike and store them inside.  We ended up getting a lighter tent for backpacking, and a 3-4 person tent for car camping so we can take the dog and stand up to get dressed.

These tents work great for 1 person....the location of the door is not good for 2 people (us older folks who need to make a few bathroom trips at night) - because the location of the door requires you to crawl over the person sleeping on the door side of the tent.

http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/coleman-7x5-sundome-tent/15colu7x5sndmtnt...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 03/24/16 at 08:38:48

ahusain

I spent some time in Dave's 3-4 man tent year before last he loaned it to me and one of my brothers and he camped in his bike trailer.  I was empresses enough to get me one .   Yea , 8'X10' w/6' roof !   ,  I can sleep in the same room as my ride .   Wink

It rolls up as small as the 42" 7x7  I used to use too.  Smiley   "Gigatent" brand.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #7 - 03/24/16 at 12:27:30

You might want to take a look over in https://www.reddit.com/r/motocamping. One of the top threads is this question and there are some very good suggestions in there.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
r80rt
YaBB Newbies

Nomad

Hills of Arkansas
Reply #8 - 03/24/16 at 18:43:39

I use a Eureka Backcountry 1 solo tent, just enough room to sleep comfortable and it packs small.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 03/25/16 at 06:37:44

Went to Walmart and bought an Ozark Trail 2 person tent, it was great for one person and gear.
However, humidity makes them "bleed" inside... they don't vent too well so water accumulates inside and runs down to get stuff wet.
I have an inflatable mattress with a battery ( 4 D-cells) air pump that works well, but it's still a bugger to get up and down to get in an out of the tent.
I was looking at the Hennesy Hammock tents for awhile, and also the military versions of them, but if you have no tree's available, you have to prop them up with sticks... LOL
So you would have to already know where you are camping and the availability of trees to hang it from.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 03/25/16 at 09:04:26

or rig up a system of pipes to form a take down frame like the ones you see in the stores
I've recently been thinking about one of those as a bed, there are advantages over a conventional mattress, but downsides, too

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/25/16 at 18:50:16

They make a blow up mattress, kinda like the swimming pool floating thing, but heavier plastic. Keeps the cold and irregular ground from messing with the sleeping bag so much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 03/25/16 at 19:16:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/25/16 at 18:50:16:
They make a blow up mattress, kinda like the swimming pool floating thing, but heavier plastic. Keeps the cold and irregular ground from messing with the sleeping bag so much.

Yeah, that's what I have, specifically made slimmer for camping...your sleeping bag fits on it and that's about it.
Mine is green.... this one is white....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-QuickBed-Lite-Slim-Twin-Skinny-Airbed-White...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/25/16 at 21:03:22

Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information.

In other words
The label may be a lie.

For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.Z

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/25/16 at 21:08:55

errors and omission expected.

our web people don't know sh!t