Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Noise (Read 180 times)
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cam Chain Noise
03/23/16 at 09:29:32

YouTube videos got me scared so I made one of my own... I've got a 2007 s40 with 19,200 miles on it. Bought used from orig owner at 7500 miles with this aftermarket Harley pipe already installed. Trying to put off big project (new Dyna pipe, spark plug, petcock, rear blinkers, verslavvy) until May. Please listen to videos and let me know, would I be taking a big risk commuting on this bike for another month?

http://youtu.be/UDgECFmzo9I

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Re: Cam Chain Noise
Reply #1 - 03/23/16 at 11:09:17

what noise?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/23/16 at 11:29:27

I have a hard time discerning the cam chain noise on most of these vid's.
but let me feel or listen with a stetho and I'll tell you right away.

feel down by the oil filter cover, just to the rear at the top of the clutch cover.  If you feel tapping, it's close to going.  This is not 100%, maybe 95%.  sometimes the adjuster will go up and lock against the case.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/23/16 at 11:31:12

If the cam chain tensioner has never been checked.....you are taking a pretty big risk.  Some are worn out at 10,000 miles, quite a few make it to 20,000 miles.......and some fellows have gone up to 28,000 miles.

The big difference seems to be the "miles per trip".  If you take mostly short trips....10,000 miles is the time to check.  If you ride long trips and to a lot of touring......you could make it to 20,000.

There is now way to know for sure.  It will cost you a gasket and a couple hours work to check....it will cost you a lot more if your cam chain tensioner comes apart.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 03/23/16 at 18:45:58

We need someone to fabricate a small plexiglass "peep hole" for us! You know, kinda like the oil level window.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/24/16 at 06:02:50

Bikes been used for 20+ mile trips most of it's life but is now used around town mostly for rides less than 5 miles. Always use rotella 15w-40 but I had been letting it warm up for 10-20 minutes most of its life on sidestand before riding prior to reading different advice here.

Got the day off tomorrow so i'll open it up and take a picture or two and post it here.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/24/16 at 10:39:21

Putting it off is, IMO, very dangerous. Were I you I'd be getting the gasket and tools and gasket goo and a Verslavy and walking off in it, before you find yourself walking away from it.
We've seen them fail at much lower miles. The physics of the failure, average miles ridden per trip, how hard we ride, mostly conjecture, but the consensus is that it matters. The collective knowledge here is way beyond what you will get from the shop.

If you think tackling it is a hassle, wait till you see what not tackling it looks like. I know of one who let it go too long and didn't ruin the motor. The others were hunting for used motors.

If you even suspect that you're hearing the chain at 19,000 miles? I would be afraid to even start it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #7 - 03/24/16 at 11:06:39

Anyone else have an idea of when the modified adjusters are available again? I need one as soon as I can get it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/24/16 at 11:15:51

The really important part, the added length and additional hole, can be done pretty easily. The drilling, slotting of the case, roll pin installation so it Can't extend further, takes some doing,,,
Verslagen is the guy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #9 - 03/24/16 at 11:26:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/24/16 at 11:15:51:
The really important part, the added length and additional hole, can be done pretty easily. The drilling, slotting of the case, roll pin installation so it Can't extend further, takes some doing,,,
Verslagen is the guy..

Yeah he said he was on vacation for awhile and the next batchbwasb3 weeks out

IP Logged
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/24/16 at 11:53:57

I have the gasket and am only worried about the hassle of doing the job twice because there is a significant wait for verslavvy at the moment. If I open it up and see it's in bad shape, I've got parts laying out and crap to keep clean laying around my basement for 2 months.

Say I open it up and it's 20mm out, is there a temporary fix to keep me chugging along til May?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 03/24/16 at 12:13:51

Quote:
Say I open it up and it's 20mm out, is there a temporary fix to keep me chugging along til May?

I think your only option if you can't wait for a versy modified adjuster, or can't modify the one you've got, would be to replace the cam chain. That would get you another 10,000 miles probably. But it's a pretty big job compared to just putting the modified adjuster in.

IP Logged
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/24/16 at 12:30:12

Alrighty then. Gonna drain tank and put on raptor petcock and will put this project off til may. Felt a little bit of tapping near rear of clutch cover.
Guess I'll get my 78 Batavus regency going again. Thanks for your insights all, I appreciate it.

IP Logged
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/02/16 at 09:41:13

18.7mm out @ 19,140 miles on 2007 s40. The rattling I was hearing may have been coming from a little piece of rusted out metal inside exhaust pipe I removed to check tensioner adjuster. Can't believe how good of shape the current gasket's in even though I have a replacement ready.

Can't remember if I should repost that measurement somewhere else so it can be logged correctly...

IMG_1919.JPG
  IP Logged
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/02/16 at 09:42:32

Here it is all opened up.

IMG_1921.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2