Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print
so i locked my rear tire (Read 1274 times)
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Re: so i locked my rear tire
Reply #90 - 04/13/16 at 08:13:03

I can try with pictures again, last attempt didnt work out to well.
He used a screw and its all the way down to the head of the screw on the tube, for pluging the Vac line.  As far as I know he hasn't hany problems out of it before. Just the really Lean pop that they are known for, and his super shorty exhaust didnt help.( his was just under the seat when it stopped. Its now behind the rear axle.

Went outside to try and start it. It started for a 3second period and shut off. Sounds like the starter isn't catching now.  It was very loud and poping

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #91 - 04/13/16 at 08:20:44

cheapnewb24 wrote on 04/13/16 at 06:41:07:
Actually, it looks like the old Savages used 155 mains stock.  Huh

the old carbs were jetted completely different.
while the mains are large, other jets controlled the air/fuel differently.

WWW   IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #92 - 04/13/16 at 08:22:16

I'm with Bubba.  I want more detail on the petcock and the vents/vac...since the problems don't occur when the petcock is in the RES position I'd say that's a pretty good indication it's not a carb issue.

I asked this before.  I'll ask again.  Can you share the link to where you ordered your petcock from?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #93 - 04/13/16 at 08:27:46

I cant do links on cell phone.

wp_ss_20160413_0001.png
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #94 - 04/13/16 at 08:28:30

I know it's a pain but if you have the old petcock...put it on and try it while set to "Prime"...if it runs then you maybe looking at a bad raptor...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #95 - 04/13/16 at 08:36:51

Bubba wrote on 04/13/16 at 08:28:30:
I know it's a pain but if you have the old petcock...put it on and try it while set to "Prime"...if it runs then you maybe looking at a bad raptor...

Yeah, ill do that when I can get it home.

Its not letting my post pictures of the bike. I've screen shot them trying that way and it still won't upload them.
versy, you said the old ones where jetted differently... mines a 96

and now to add to the glory of random shut down... it wont start at all. starter turns, sounds like freely(with no contact to flywheel)?? lights work horn works.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #96 - 04/13/16 at 09:11:42

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/13/16 at 06:58:17:
Counterclockwise...
It was maxed clockwise wouldn't turn any further.

I edited my last post.

do you mean to say the idle mix screw was all the way in? as in can't turn it any more? that sounds like too much pilot jet or the idle wasn't low enough to tune the carb properly

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #97 - 04/13/16 at 09:21:44

Art Webb wrote on 04/13/16 at 09:11:42:
Counterclockwise...

I edited my last post.

do you mean to say the idle mix screw was all the way in? as in can't turn it any more? that sounds like too much pilot jet or the idle wasn't low enough to tune the carb properly

although im kinda confused on the enrichment screw adjusting. it was tighted in all the way clockwise. couldn't go a hair further in. I did back it out some and rode it. but I never noticed a difference. of where it was and the 1/4 or less turn out (counter clockwise) I gave it.

"that sounds like too much pilot jet" this is what im confused on... still reading up about this carb and what each part does what.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #98 - 04/13/16 at 09:22:05

verslagen1 wrote on 04/13/16 at 08:20:44:

I wondered if there weren't things set differently in the old ones. Roll Eyes Maybe my uncertainties were justified.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #99 - 04/13/16 at 09:29:09

cheapnewb24 wrote on 04/13/16 at 09:22:05:
verslagen1 wrote on 04/13/16 at 08:20:44:

I wondered if there weren't things set differently in the old ones. Roll Eyes Maybe my uncertainties were justified.

All more reason to confuse me. haha.
The PO said he had issues with the petcock not wanting to let gas flow correctly. other than the regular stuff. oil changes and cleaning air filter etc...
Im kinda suspicious that all this happened right near close to when me and the bike went down... maybe the carb got crud in it. but to me that don't explain the random shut down. or the starter not feeling like it caught

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #100 - 04/13/16 at 09:35:12

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/13/16 at 09:21:44:
Art Webb wrote on 04/13/16 at 09:11:42:
Counterclockwise...

I edited my last post.

although im kinda confused on the enrichment screw adjusting. it was tighted in all the way clockwise. couldn't go a hair further in. I did back it out some and rode it. but I never noticed a difference. of where it was and the 1/4 or less turn out (counter clockwise) I gave it.

"that sounds like too much pilot jet" this is what im confused on... still reading up about this carb and what each part does what.

That's bad. Don't tighten it that hard. It's delicate. Your pilot jet may be too big, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense with your setup.  Huh

DO THIS SIMPLE TEST RIGHT NOW! (or when it's convenient). Take the bike out for a spin (if it's rideable) with a reasonable amount of gas in the tank. Does the enrichment knob help to crank it cold? Does pushing it in too early kill the engine? Does it speed up the idle when cold? When hot? Does it run better with the enrichment (choke) knob pulled out when the engine is warm? If so, this is a sign you are lean. HOWEVER, if the engine slows down when the knob is pulled, you are NOT RUNNING LEAN! (At least not for the low throttle settings, especially the idle circuit.)

Do any of the experts here dispute this test or my interpretation of it?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #101 - 04/13/16 at 09:43:44

The next easy test to do is to check fuel flow by draining the float bowl with the petcock ON into a pint jar (or whatever you can fit in there. Roll Eyes). Count your seconds. It might be more accurate if the float bowl is empty first and start counting only after flow begins. Report back here with pints per minute.

This will determine ANY blockages in basic fuel delivery, excluding jets and miscellaneous stuff.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #102 - 04/13/16 at 09:52:24

ill do the test as soon as it makes it home. probably Friday before I can get it back to the house.

The Choke knob
cold with it out fully starts right up brings idle higher.
warm kills engine.

as far as the enrichment screw. I didn't tighten it to that point, the PO did. I set it back to just barely hitting
all I have to do now is do the draining the float bowl... I think I know how to do that. im sure ive read it already but ill have to go back to be sure...

and the bike isn't rideable wont start. starter just turns and turns and turns. (I do not hold the starter long 3-4 sec period at most.)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #103 - 04/13/16 at 10:07:46

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/13/16 at 09:52:24:
and the bike isn't rideable wont start. starter just turns and turns and turns. (I do not hold the starter long 3-4 sec period at most.)

does it smell like gas or nothing?

Nothing, then stop and pick up some starting fluid.
spray some in the intake and if it fires for a couple of seconds then it's a fuel issue.

you smell gas, then it's flooded, hold the throttle wide open and run the starter.  if it don't pick up in 15 seconds, stop, let the starter cool down for 10 minutes and repeat.

WWW   IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #104 - 04/13/16 at 10:15:55

I find it funny. I read this standing beside the starting fluid/carb cleaner
I work for CARQUEST Auto parts...
and now it just don't feel like the starter is touching anything. its a fast high whine now. and it used to be slower and sound force-full.

It was windy and I have a cold. Can't smell to great. Sorry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 11:36:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › so i locked my rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.