Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print
so i locked my rear tire (Read 1274 times)
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Re: so i locked my rear tire
Reply #75 - 04/13/16 at 05:48:42

Thought it was to lean.  The muffler it had on it before was trashed and a straight pipe as well. But had a large holed baffle. I cut it off and welded up a long pipe to give it a better look. really hope the whole process will be fast and reseting everything. Anyone have a write up on the carb spacer and all that.  As well as where I can get the specific sized jets you are talking about.
So I need a list pretty much. When it comes to motorcycles and carbs. I'm almost useless.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #76 - 04/13/16 at 05:58:36

There are plenty of threads here on this stuff. Just use Google.

Check out the link. I showed you. I wrote some on the process myself last night for another fellow who's been having trouble.

First you need to buy some stuff, and get it on the way. Use Mikuni brand (other brands are sometimes numbered differently) main jets (152.5 and 155 would be good--no smaller than 150 at the most), a bigger idle jet (55, I guess), and get some #4 washers for the mod. There are some guys on Ebay, like Niche Cycle, who have good deals on Mikuni jets. You can grab them all up and combine shipping, I think.

You could also check around the bike shops. Don't discount Harley shops as they fool around with Mikuni carbs as well.

You might be able to do some of it without removing the carb. For the idle jet, I don't know. Undecided Removing the carb isn't too tough. I've done it a couple times at least. It can be a little aggravating. It helps to remove the top of the carb and the slide before removing the carb. Remember not to booger up the slide (the rubber diaphragm/cylinder/needle thingy. It's delicate and expensive to replace.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #77 - 04/13/16 at 06:02:29

So the main jet is going to need #155?
pilot jet # 55?

I didn't buy the last kit that was used. it came with the bike and they appeared to match what was in the carb already

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #78 - 04/13/16 at 06:08:20

It's hard to tell exactly what's in the bike already. Someone else could have rejetted it. If you're cheap, and you don't mind having the bike apart for a while, you could take out the main jet that's in there and see what size it is. That will give you a clue as to whether the mixture has been messed with or not.

Can you find the idle mixture adjustment? On new, unmolested bikes, it is actually covered by a brass plug which must be drilled out. If you cannot find the mixture adjustment, that is a clue that the jetting has not been messed with, or messed with properly, at least. Roll Eyes

I am not an expert. I have never run a straight pipe on my bike. I am giving you numbers based upon my experience reading here. Feel free to look for carb tuning threads here. There are more than one written by several moderators here. It's a BIG topic.

What elevation do you live at? The higher you are the smaller (leaner) jetting you will need. Sea level or below sea level will need big rich jetting. Your climactic conditions play a role. Humidity and temperature make a difference.

I personally live around 1500 feet elevation (It's mountainous, so it's variable). I run 150 main with 3 washers. The bike runs great, but mpg isn't what it used to be. I have the stock muffler, but plan on installing the Dyna muffler, though.

I reckon the Savages from the 80's used a 152.5 main with the stock muffler, but I'm not exactly sure everything else was the same. The carb was approximately the same, with minor differences. One I know of is that the slide did not need the spacer mod because the needle was adjustable. Shocked Grin Roll Eyes. Screwed that up for us, didn't you, Suzuki?

Anyway, a 155 seems like a good place for a straight pipe and performance air, but I'm not a carb expert. If you want to tune it in, you should get two or three different sizes and test each one. The way to test them is with sustained full throttle at highway speeds.  Most people here don't go any bigger than 155, so you could try a 152.5 as well if you want to be conservative.

The 55 idle jet is one size larger than stock. Some people can use the stock size, as the mixture is adjustable, to a point. When you need more than 3 turns out on the mixture screw, though, you'll need to go a size larger. Whatever idle jet size which gives you close to 1.5 turns out on the screw at its optimum mixture should be the best size to use.

With a bigger jet, you won't need as many turns of the needle. With a smaller one you'll need more. If it's too small, you'll have to turn the needle till it risks falling out. If it's too big, you 'll have to bottom it out to get the right mixture. Neither is good.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #79 - 04/13/16 at 06:24:23

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=...

Check this thread out. It's a good one. It gives a convenient chart on jetting.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244217127

Serowbot's tuning guide

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

More information. Pay attention. Some of the jets Lancer sells are for a different carburetor.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #80 - 04/13/16 at 06:41:07

Actually, it looks like the old Savages used 155 mains stock.  Huh

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #81 - 04/13/16 at 06:47:02

Here's one of the charts from one of the links I posted above. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244217127

Looks like I wasn't far off from the chart. From the chart, you'll need anywhere from a 150-155 main with anywhere from 0-2 washers, and you'll probably want the 55 pilot jet.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #82 - 04/13/16 at 06:49:08

I live in charlotte NC. The carb has been messed with by previous owners. The brass cap the covered the enrichment knob has gone. I adjusted it up back by 1/4 turn yesterday and rode and it seemed better and less backfire on deceleration.

So I could, in theory get the 152.5-155 jet and 55 jet and set up on step 6 of the diagram? And that should in theory provide a better running bike.?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #83 - 04/13/16 at 06:53:07

Clockwise or counterclockwise? I reckon backfiring and other problems can be caused by both rich or lean conditions. To tune the idle mixture, turn the screw back and forth until you find an area that gives the fastest idle speed. Turning a little too far in each direction will slow the idle slightly. Use these points as a mental marker and set the screw halfway between these markers this should be the right around the optimum mixture-- the sweet spot. Remember-- the needle position area where idle speed is highest and in the middle in that area

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #84 - 04/13/16 at 06:58:17

Counterclockwise...
It was maxed clockwise wouldn't turn any further.

I edited my last post.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #85 - 04/13/16 at 07:05:16

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/13/16 at 06:49:08:
I live in charlotte NC. The carb has been messed with by previous owners. The brass cap the covered the enrichment knob has gone. I adjusted it up back by 1/4 turn yesterday and rode and it seemed better and less backfire on deceleration.

So I could, in theory get the 152.5-155 jet and 55 jet and set up on step 6 of the diagram? And that should in theory provide a better running bike.?

Unless it's already got those jets.  Grin

Your last post is a little iffy. For one thing, be careful and delicate when you bottom out the needle. You could damage it by torquing it. Furthermore, why did you turn it that far? Just didn't know where you were going? Understandable... According to the chart, if it's the stock pilot, you'll need close to three turns out-- quite the opposite of bottomed out. Huh If it's a bigger pilot, by the chart, you won't need many turns out. Does turning it all the way out help? (Don't let the needle fall out and lose it, by the way)

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #86 - 04/13/16 at 07:07:55

Since this bike seems to have been down the road as far as mods go I'm going to say you should pull the carb, go over everything...there are lots of helpful links here to get you going.

This was the first bike I ever owned and yes, it can be intimidating but it becomes a useful skill to have.
Just remember to go slow, document everything (take pics if you want) ensure you can go back to the settings you have now.

When I first removed my carb I was freaking out...but after working on lots of carbs now they actually are very simple....first thing to do is find out what size jets are in there and understand what they do.

Best advice I can give you is to go slow, change one thing at a time and make sure you can take it back to where you are now. If you decide to pull the carb the first thing I would suggest is to not change anything...just get in there and clean it really good, put it back together and see if it's fixed...could be just a clogged jet but at least you'll know what jets you have at that point.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #87 - 04/13/16 at 07:31:17

How to tell what jets are in it after I pull the carb. Well I will get into it when I get time to. I am friends with the previous owner. I'll try and see if he remembers what size jets he used when we cleaned the carb up.
He cleaned it with me before I bought it.

I hope it lets me get home from work today.

As far as the enrichment screw. I'm probably going to put it back where it was.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #88 - 04/13/16 at 07:39:26

The jets are marked...of course i have to use a magnifier to actually see them...lol

i'm wondering if you can actually post a picture of the vents/vac port...how did the PO plug the vac port? Did he experience any of the problems you've had?

It's good that you know the PO...he may have some insight.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #89 - 04/13/16 at 07:56:20

I can try with pictures again, last attempt didnt work out to well.
He used a screw and its all the way down to the head of the screw on the tube, for pluging the Vac line.  As far as I know he hasn't hany problems out of it before. Just the really Lean pop that they are known for, and his super shorty exhaust didnt help.( his was just under the seat when it stopped. Its now behind the rear axle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 11:04:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › so i locked my rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.