Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
so i locked my rear tire (Read 1274 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: so i locked my rear tire
Reply #60 - 04/11/16 at 22:30:11

The petcock can be disassembled if you feel you need to check it. Just be careful with the rubber seal inside. Silicone O-ring grease would be handy there if you've got some. Don't wanna tear it with friction after reassembly. You may also be able to pop off the plastic mesh standpipes. Be careful not to break them, and if they are loose, you can swell the brass pipe with a punch or something. The only difference between On and Reserve should be the height of the standpipe if I am not mistaken. Reserve is the shorter one.  Not sure if reserve should give any higher fuel pressure given the same vertical drop with the same tank level.

Also, did YOU do the carb or someone else? How do you know he replaced the float valve and cleaned the screen?

On the other hand, my guess it's probably the petcock.  Wink

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #61 - 04/12/16 at 03:46:51

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/11/16 at 09:58:38:
I had just bought and installed a raptor petcock. another member sent me a link to one, I bought it. pulled everything cleaned it and opened box put it on checked for leaks. vacuum as well.

Would you mind copy and pasting the link you were given for the petcock you purchased?  I think it might be helpful.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #62 - 04/12/16 at 08:10:57

So I'm just going to throw this out there...just in case...did you block off the vac port on the carb after you installed the raptor?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #63 - 04/12/16 at 11:42:23

Didn't think of that.... His bike would go crazy if it had a vacuum leak.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #64 - 04/12/16 at 11:58:55

Yeah, well no one has mentioned the fact that when you switch to the raptor you need to seal off the vacuum port on the carb...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #65 - 04/12/16 at 12:49:52

I dont know... When I got the bike one vac hose from thr carb was already blocked. And two others where not blocked

Will post pictures in a few min
Well I coil never get the pictures to resize down.

« Last Edit: 04/12/16 at 20:49:48 by jrobeson18 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #66 - 04/12/16 at 12:53:16

you got 2 vents, 1 vacuum, and 1 for gas, don't mix them up.

WWW   IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #67 - 04/12/16 at 20:51:30

The two vent hoses are clear and the vac hose is plugged.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #68 - 04/12/16 at 20:52:41

Hmmm... Maybe it's something else then....

First things first... Test the petcock. Unhook the fuel hose and drain the tank into a pint jar while counting seconds. I think you need at least  a half pint a minute on the ON position, right guys? I think mine was doing around a pint a minute if I remember right.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #69 - 04/12/16 at 21:04:12

Here's an interesting thread that involves testing the fuel flow from the fuel drain on the float bowl. That may be just what the doctor ordered. Smiley

(If I'm misusing this emoticon, fill me in...)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347636144/21

If you get good flow out the float bowl in the ON position, checking the petcock shouldn't be necessary.

Quote:
Re: Fuel Starvation Symptom - All Speeds
Reply #18 - 09/17/12 at 17:50:11 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote  Dave wrote on 09/17/12 at 11:24:38:
Put a hose on the bottom of the carb drain spigot and run it into to a container.  Then set the petcock to PRI and see if you get a steady fuel flow into the container.  This will test the flow out of the tank, through the petcock filters, the fuel hose and the needle and seat of the carb and into the float bowl.  You should get a steady trickle.  I will time it on my bike and let you know how long it takes to drain 16 oz....that will give you an idea if your flow is normal.

I just did the test to see how much fuel flows from the drain on the carb.  I put a piece of hose over the drain, and ran it into my ratio rite that was marked at 16 oz.  It took right at 1 minutes 30 seconds to drain out 16 oz. for the float bowl.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #70 - 04/12/16 at 21:44:23

Quote:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/12 at 23:32:44:
1.5 minutes/ pint gas flow.
3 minutes/quart
12 minutes/gallon.
5 gallons/ hour

IF youre getting 50 MPG, you could run 250 MPH & the fuel flow would stay up.

Im gonna say fuel flow is Oooookay! Cheesy Cheesy

I'd say if you get half that much through the float bowl, you'll have more than enough gas. How many gallons per hour can the Savage use at sustained full throttle?

Then again, at 90 mph, you might run out of gas after an hour or so of driving. If you get 40 mpg, then you'll use 2.25 gallons after an hour. Hmmm... If you get 30 mpg, you'll be using 3 gallons per hour at 90 mph. If you get (good grief) 20 mpg, then you'll be using 4.5 gallons per hour at 90 mph. I guess 5 gallons/hour is a comfortable place, though you might not need quite that much.

From your problems, if the fuel flow to the bowl is causing it, I don't think you'll get half that. You may not even get a quarter of that. In short, if there's a fuel flow shortage there, you'll know it.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #71 - 04/13/16 at 03:04:43

Well I drove it around a little for about 30 min. Got coming home and it died while riding(gearing down to turn) with the new petcock in the RES position.

I was reading the thread about carb adjustments. And I've never touched this carb to adjust it to try and tune it. As far as I know it has stock jets and all that. But the intake has the K&N drop in filter and I have a straight pipe exhaust with no baffle. I didnt know that it could have an effect on the carb. Although I dont really think its causing poor running conditions with ON position and the other wise random shut off. Just really trying to provide as much info as possible. This will be my daily driver when its decent weather.

« Last Edit: 04/13/16 at 04:16:20 by jrobeson18 »  
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #72 - 04/13/16 at 05:26:54

If you have the 145 main with straight pipe and performance filter, you're way too lean on that. Did you adjust the idle mixture? What you should be running for that is a 152.5 or 155 main with one or two washers for the white spacer mod. Not sure it's the exact cause of your problems, but it could give you trouble.

The two things I can think of are inadequate fuel delivery or extremely inadequate jetting. Straight pipes are trouble-makers, I gather, and they don't really perform better than a good muffler. In fact, to some ways, they perform worse due to exhaust reversion.

You can:

A. Loosen up the float bowl screw and drain the fuel (or run the engine till it dies) with the petcock off. Then turn it on and catch some in a pint jar; count the seconds after it begins to pour to calculate your fuel rate.

B. Change your jetting!
AFAIK, your combination probably requires some of the richest jetting of anyone here, apart from those with internal engine mods (The experts here are free to correct me.)
C. Do both.  Cheesy

Easy peasy.  Cheesy

Technically, the California models have even leaner jetting than stock, though I'm not sure how their pollution control stuff affects their ability to handle that. Nonetheless, you're too lean, and straight pipes are trouble. Get it fixed!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #73 - 04/13/16 at 05:43:08

Well, I suggested that it was easy. It's simple, but not every part is extremely easy. Here's another thread that should give you some help on changing the main jet and doing the spacer mod. Your idle jet is probably too small to handle that straight pipe and will need to be changed as well. Never done that, so you'll need to look at some other threads for that.

Remember to be very careful when installing the main jet. If you screw up, you may need to remove the carb to get everything back in order. For the spacer mod, you'll need some #4 washers, and 5 of them is a good number, though you'll only really need 2 for your purposes.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1460498053/0

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #74 - 04/13/16 at 05:48:00

Does the bike run better with the enrichment knob "choke" pulled out? This is a simple test to reveal whether or not your bike needs richer jetting. If your engine idle speeds up with the enrichment knob pulled out at all while warm, it could point to either the idle mixture (adjustable to an extent), the needle jet (spacer mod fix), or both. A main jet deficiency is only revealed at or near full throttle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 04:41:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › so i locked my rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.